Eli Manning Announces His Retirement

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by statjeff22, Jan 22, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The debate is not is Eli a great QB worthy of the Hall of Fame? (Which, of course, the answer is No) The question is will he be in the Hall of Fame? And the answer is Yes. His last name is Manning. He won 2 Super Bowls over the QB many (not me) consider to be the best ever. He was a durable QB with a long starting streak. He will get in eventually.

phubbadaman likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Vinny Testaverde ranked:
    6th in career yards
    7th in career TD passes
    7th in career completions

*when he retired*

BECAUSE HE PLAYED A LONG TIME!

Anyone using Eli's stats as to why he SHOULD be in the HoF need to just stop.

#22 dawinner127, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

And they had virtually no running game to compliment the passing game.

I know Eli is a Giant but people need to put their hatred aside.

westiedog1 and FJF like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Testaverde is 15th in career passing yards and played four more years than Eli.

If Matt Ryan gets in, there will only two players in the top 15 that aren't in the Hall of Fame. Both being the bottom two passers in Testaverde and Carson Palmer.

Same scenario; Palmer would be the only player in the top 15 in passing touchdowns that does not get in.

Not sure where you got those rankings.

Edit; I see when he retired at the last second.

5. dawinner127

Yeah, I just fixed my post to make it easier to read. I just don't think that is a good argument for why he should be in the HoF. He was a compiler and he was ever elite at the position. He's getting in because his last name is Manning and the 2 Superbowls, nothing else.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

But you can't operate as if he doesn't have those two Super Bowls.

Plunkett is the only QB with two that isn't in. And likely with good reason.

7. dawinner127

Yeah he has the two and I'm fully accepting the fact that he will be put in. But it is not because of anything else. He was a mediocre QB for 16 or w/e seasons he played. He does NOT deserve to be in and he would not be in if he was not a Manning. If Flacco had the 2 rings, he wouldn't be in because his last name is Flacco.

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Tommy Two-tone sitting in his rocking chair with his Cte , the only thing he remembers is Eli beating him twice in the SB

dawinner127 likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well yeah, that's how life works. We respect winners. We put them in the hall of fame. No one really gives a shit about completion percentage when you are talking about the history of the game.

of course Eli is a hall of famer

Dierking likes this.
  10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Best starting QB the Giants have ever had and possibly may ever have.

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If Pennington had Eli's durability there's a good chance he would've been in Canton too.

Unfortunately he was made of glass so he'll never sniff the HOF.

Yeah the iron man streak counts a lot.

12. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Eli had 2 historic Super Bowl runs and he played as well as anybody at that position when he was in the postseason...besides that he was a mediocre QB....and please don't tell me how he was lucky in Super Bowls or in the playoffs that's some low IQ Skip Bayless hot take garbage...I'm not saying he's a Hall of Famer I think it's borderline ...but the lucky in his 2 SB runs narrative isn't reality.

#32 MJK, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Fuck him but this was funny

15. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

He got them to the playoffs but the defense carried the team to the Super Bowl once in the playoffs. They held the opposing teams offenses to a grand total of 51 points over 4 games (12.75 PPG on AVG). They went against Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, and Tom Brady.

Not for nothing to, Drew Brees shredded that 49ers defense the week before (462 yards of offense). Joe Flacco put up better numbers on the road against the Patriots as well two weeks prior. The difference was that Eli's team came through for them, while the other guys did not. Im not trying to take away from what Eli did, but I always thought the Giants defense never got enough credit. The Giants defense was the primary reason they won both Super Bowls, not the offense. (Giants defense never gave up more than 20 points in either playoff run, which is insane because they went against Romo, Favre, Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, etc). I think Eli did a great job, but obviously winning a Super Bowl comes down to the team as a whole and you also need things to just break right (get lucky), I think Eli, despite playing on mediocre teams, had a lot of things just break right for him in the playoffs. Good for him though, pretty much every QB that has won the Super Bowl, had to have some luck involved at some point. As well many QBs who didn't win, had things that were out of their control, not break right. (Brees last year because of the refs)

dawinner127 likes this.
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Curtis Martin played 10.5 seasons.
    His career was short like Barry Sanders.

Drives me crazy when Jet fans especially try to say he’s in the hall for “longevity”.
    Quite the opposite.

17. BacktoQueens

Eli is a nice guy but avg to below avg QB.
    He is not a HOF player at all.

At any point in his career was he at the top of his position? Or even close?

Heavily weighing team accomplishments on individual players as HOF criteria is weak.
    Give me the players that succeed and exceed in terrible situations on terrible teams. Or guys that can succeed on any team they go to.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

You're ignoring the importance of the position and negating 'team accomplishments' like we're talking about a first basemen in baseball. Quarterback has evolved into a position that the sport revolves around. Teams win and lose based on the performance of said position.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  19. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but if Nick Foles were to win another Super Bowl and was MVP, would they make him a HOFer?

Im leaning toward Eli in the HoF, but outside of those 2 SB MVPs, his career is lackluster. Obviously Super Bowl victories carry heavy weight, but if Nick Foles did happen to do it again, I don't think that would make him a HOFer, so I don't think it should make Eli a hofer either. He was always healthy which was a huge plus, but his career was just very mediocre in the regular season unfortunately.

I think the thing that ultimately will carry him in his last name and that he beat the Patriots, like it or not Super Bowl 42 is still probably the most significant Super Bowl of most NFL fans lifetime. It just sticks out so much more compared to any other recent Super Bowl.

20. BacktoQueens

I don’t believe that one bit.
    No QB “wins” alone. It’s the ultimate team game, QBs are just the glory boys not complete football players.

Judging Wins as QB stats is probably my biggest pet peeve in sports.
    It’s even done at other positions like DL when it comes to HOF, see Klecko, which is even more ridiculous.