You are Joe Douglas. Tell me what you would do this offseason.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

OL OL OL OL OL OL OL OL

Vida, BradysTornACL and KWJetsFan like this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Simple enough...….and the truth. If I were Douglas I would be focusing on the trenches ( particularly OL ). The problem spots are OL, EDGE, CB, and WR. In FA I would look for maybe one star ( hopefully two ) in one or two of those positions - fill up the rest with mid level talent ( a starter or two but not break the bank money ) and depth. Then in the draft do it over again this time from the college ranks with more focus on the positions where I did not break the bank in FA...….kind of a round about double dip. For instance if they happen to sign let's say Bryan Jones or one of those other #1 type starting CBs - I would be less inclined to draft one in say the first or second round......if they were to sign Amari Cooper then most likely no Jeudy or Lamb but maybe Jefferson or Pittman later if he's still around. That's not too shabby Cooper and one of those rookies......just an example.

They need OL, pass rush, a #1 CB and a #1 WR. You cannot win in this league without talent at those 4 positions.

#82 mrjet80, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Brook!, NCJetsfan, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  3. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

get what you can for bell. Throw the head coach inn the trade also

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’d force Gase to hire Caldwell to help/actually run the offense now that he’s healthy and ready to coach again.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

80, I and most here agree the 4 major weak spots you highlighted.

Regardless who we pick in FA, and select in Draft, for once we have to hope that it all works out.

We tried with Mosley and Bell last year and unfortunately it didn’t panned out too well during the 2019 season. Hopefully they’ll be impact players we signed them for in 2020. I have hope. And regardless who we sign or draft, let’s hope we pressed the right buttons and it goes in our favor!

6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

If I'm Douglas ni big splash free agent. Not alot of money. With two exceptions. Scherff I'd overpay and Conklin I'd give a little more to secure him. Besides those two I'm looking for 26 year old players who are looking to prove something. I think Robbie Anderson will leave. I would love Demarcus Robinson from the Chiefs to be his replacement. I think Anderson is better but he'd be a perfect replacement. From their I'd look for other players to fill the roster especially young offensive linemen looking to start.

1. Make a push for Scherf or Conklin. Probably only sign one if we are lucky. If we sign one sign at least 3 backup linemen. If we sign neither sign 5 linemen then.

2. Sign Demarcus Robinson to help replace Robby.

3. I'd look to re-sign Jenkins and Poole as well.

4. Check in on the defensive ends. I think they'd be too much but maybe they can find a Shaq Barrett type player. Guy who was a backup showed promise can sign to a prove it contract.

5. CB. I like Maulet and Austin. That being said we definitely need more. Much like defensive end I'd look to sign guys on prove it deals for depth.

By laying out this plan and if it could happen I'd feel comfortable going into the draft with either drafting one of the three tackles or Jeudy or Lamb if they fell. I'd also be willing to trade back as well depending on what is offered and who is out there. The key here is being financially responsible so no long term cap issues and focusing on guys not older than 26. With the exception of course on the offensive line. To get proven players who are older it'd be ok.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think Anderson and his agent are gonna ask for something ridiculous. Multi year contract around $14 million per year.

Even in today's NFL where teams go all insane on free agents, I would be really surprised if he gets an offer of that size. An "average" deal for him where he comes back "with his tail between his legs", I would consider, $9, $10 million. Maybe something very similar to Jamison Crowder's deal, essentially 2 years, $18 million, with a team option for a 3rd year at $11 mill.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Free agency isn’t for obtaining top talent, it’s for filling holes and upgrading what you can. I our case, we should easily be able to upgrade some of what we rolled out as n offensive line last year. Not only should Joe not stay away from o line in free agency, he should bring in as many as he can.

Brook! and BacktoQueens like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Phill fans agree

101GangGreen101 and dawinner127 like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

-I would sign Jamal Adams to an extension. Get rid of all the negativity around him being traded or potentially traded. Show you have respect for your own great players you draft. (Which is not many)

-I want Jerry Jeudy in the Draft. Things could fall into place for the Jets to draft him. Sam needs a #1 WR who can grow with him. That would be awesome. In this scenario, Robby has walked, which I think he will. Crowder is the #3, Herndon and Griffin are solid targets at TE, so the Jets can either sign a vet WR in FA, maybe someone like DT, to play opposite Jeudy. I like that.

-Improving the O-line is the #1 concern though. If Douglas focuses on that instead of WR, no one could disagree or complain.

-I would keep Avery Williamson. People keep saying to release or trade him, but I would like to see what he and Mosley can do together. Could be dominant.

-Always want to improve the pass rushing position. Jordan Jenkins should be re-signed, but I am not sure how much he is going to want.

-Back Up QB is important to me. Things went off the rails when Seimian was injured. Can't rely on him on 2020. Need to upgrade the position in case Sam gets injured again. Hopefully someone who can mentor Sam too.

If I was Joe Douglas, I would also take my time. Can't fix all of the Jets holes in one off-season, so I would not try to make splash moves like Tannenbaum used to do. Maybe in a year or two, but not this off-season.

Brook!, NCJetsfan, Vida and 6 others like this.
  11. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I really couldn't get mad if this is exactly what their draft looked like.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What the Jets draft will actually look like. ;)

Brook!, Vida and Jake like this.
  13. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Salary cap goes up, so does the asking price. Hes def getting $12+mill. I hope he stays with us, unless we are drafting a high draft pick WR.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Spotrac has raised his value twice in two months; now just over twelve million. That would make fourteen high, but not ridiculous, especially as an asking price. Nine or ten would be ridiculous.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

then "bye." Robby's not worth 14.

Spotrac is a based on numbers. The numbers might align Anderson as a multiyear 12-14 million per year receiver and I have no doubt he will ask for that. But I believe Spotrac will be wrong. Scouts and GMs who look at the film, speak with his coaches, etc. will know what kind of receiver he really is, and he won't get that kind of money

16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Really like this post. Not sure I'd go WR in first though -- too risky IMO

also i'd let Robbie walk if he's asking for a lot. He's fast, but other than a couple of catches, think he drops too many, gives up on routes, doesn't block. I like the idea he's home grown but that money can be better spent elsewhere

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Forcing coordinators on head coaches rarely has any positive effects.

If it works then you have successfully undermined your head coach and if it doesn't you have failed in more egregious ways.

18. Br4d

Common sense in the referred post and this one. The Jets need a lot of that if they're going to get better.

If a great WR is there on the 11 by all means take him. If it's a coin flip between a WR and an OT take the tackle. WR's are one of the slower developing positions with a transition year to get used to the NFL often in play.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If it forces Gase you, that's about as big a victory as you could possibly get.

20. Br4d

We have a different perspective here. I see last season as fully reflective of the organizational dysfunction that occurred from 2011 to 2018. In that light I see Adam Gase as an ameliorating presence, albeit a lightning rod for the NY press due to his opening press conference. I don't yet know if he is a good coach but I think he's probably capable of avoiding utter disaster given the Jets steady resolve last year after the terrible start.

I wouldn't do anything to undermine him short of firing him and if you fire him you damn well better be right because the next link in the "Jets are failing" chain is not Joe Douglas at that point.