Thinking "outside the box" has hurt this franchise

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 20, 2020.

1. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I'm not saying coaches specifically, and the hires are most certainly problems, it's more the overriding philosophy that changes like the wind because no one seems to have a top down vision it seems. Maybe they hire the wrong people because they follow trends too much?

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yeah, outside of the box isn't the right classification or conclusion. IMO

The owners are just fucking stupid. That's really the shame of It all.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can see why some didn't like, Mangini. I personally think he deserved more time and did a lot of good with his time here.

I don't agree with the building the team aspect of people's arguments though.

Brick, Mangold, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Drew Coleman, Eric Smith, Revis, David Harris, Thomas Jones, Chris Baker, Faneca, Damien Woody, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, Tony Richardson, etc... There are a few more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Those weren't bad pieces. That was an identity which only took a few years to accomplish. That's impressive.

Everyone is so frustrated with how piss poor our offensive line has been... Look at that line that was built during the Mangini era. I think the majority of us would fucking KILL to have a line like that again. The same line that benefited Rex Ryan BTW, that allowed us to go to back to back championship games. I liked, Rex. However, we've never had a line like that again SINCE, Mangini. If we are being honest with ourselves here.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No of those were out of the box thinking. Woody just trusts people that have no actual vested interest in seeing the jets succeed . Hiring korn and ferry wasn’t out of the box it was following what the Seahawks did, problem was k & f didn’t care, they were getting their headhunter fee regardless so they just sent us a guy from the staff that they hit on .
    Goin the consultant route with guys that have had success in this league is a good idea in theory but cassette and wolf just used it as an opportunity to hook a couple of their protégés up.
    Hiring Rex wasn’t out of the box, it was the same thinking most teams have in grabbing the hot coordinator. Until last offseason when they hired gase surprisingly and fired mac when most teams aren’t thinking of changing course they have been very much a copy cat to whoever team was successful that year.
    this is the first year they worked “outside of the box”. And it netted us 3 more wins

#24 FJF, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

One recent out of the box thinking that looks like it worked is trading up to 3 months before draft to ensure QB.

The Jets made the right move there, unfortunately every decision since has been wrong. The Jets need to focus on putting some talent around Sam Darnold. It will be one of the biggest Jets travesties of all time if they don’t do everything in their power to help Darnold reach his full immense potential.

Vida likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the Jets haven't thought outside the box in a long time. They are more like the desperate copycat team that is slow to catch up to the times.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think moving on from Mangini was where this franchise began it's downward spiral in the talent evaluation department. It was obvious that he had his fingerprints all over the drafting process after Bradway was ousted. Tannenbaum didn't care, and it was obvious that Rex chose his players as well.

I firmly believe that Mangini basically built those AFC Championship rosters. He gets bashed for Vernon Gholston, when everyone (including fans) thought he was a can't miss prospect and a steal at 6. 22.5 sacks in two years and an absolute freak of an athlete.

Your right though. And he had a vision that built the team from the inside out and found players that would excel in the system. Not only the players you mentioned but he re-purposed Bryan Thomas into a solid standup outside linebacker, and used Victor Hobson as a blitzing downhill linebacker ala James Farrior in Pittsburgh. Sione Pouha is an extremely underrated nose tackle that made Rex's defenses tick.

He had his faults. His prevent fourth quarter defenses were terrible where he'd back the corners off 15 yards and let teams run stop routes all the way down the field for a 3 minute touchdown drive to get back in the game. He ousted the players mentioned and wasn't open to trying to make Vilma work.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I just don’t want the Jets to doom Sam before he can blossom into the Star I feel he can become.
    It’s why it’s crucial that Joe D hammers home the offensive side, getting SAM ALL the weapons he needs to succeed.
    That means grabbing at least 3 new offensive linemen. That means retaining Robby to have some continuity on offense. That means grabbing a WR in this deep class to develop with Sam. That also means grabbing a small scat back to contrast in styles with Bell.

Vida and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only thing I disagree with is resigning Robby. I'd qualify that to "at a reasonable price, say $12 milllion/year". Yes, there's a lot to be said for continuity, but he's really only given us about a half season of his best, and even that doesn't qualify him as a #1 WR. Given the nature of the cap, we have to make sure we have enough to sign upgrades to the OL and pass rush in FA and the draft, as well as enough to retain all those we want to keep. Robby's entitled to get as much as he can, but the Jeets probably can't afford him.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Eh I mean realistically I don't think he's as good as what he's going to get paid. But keeping him is important for this quarterback especially given the alternatives that available. He has chemistry with Sam and instantly became a threat when Sam came back. It's similar to Braylon Edwards. He wasn't worth a big contract. But we should've kept him because it would've helped Sanchez.

The quarterback/receiver relationship one is so difficult to cultivate. It's why some receivers move around and struggle at times when they do move around. A quarterback needs to figure out the speed they do everything at and how they work in and out of their breaks.

Sanchez may have ended up sucking anyway. But we did him no favors and changed everything for him in year three in this category.

Vida, MoWilkBeast, Mogriffjr and 3 others like this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Rex's unusual flood blitzes -- sending waves of rushers primarily from a single side -- were very effective his first year as head coach. I suppose the ideas developed in Baltimore, but seemed to reach a special level of success in 2009, as opposing offenses appeared overwhelmed and helpless to deal with the pressure.

Maybe that counts as an example of effective outside the box thinking for the Jets?

CotcheryFan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

His feet were? I can't tell if this is a trick question. A conundrum? An oxymoron? Probably that last one, seeing as the moron part of the word seems to fit.

Acad23 likes this.
  13. jetophile

His hand is sticking up out of the grave, though. Haha, L. Jay Cross, that shill, I love telling this story. Long time season ticket holders were invited to a symposium during the pitch for the West Side Stadium. When the PSL discussion came up during the phone call and I mentioned this would not be happening if Leon Hess was still alive, he completely lost it. I mean he LOST it. It was like 'Bagel Street.' "Leon Hess! Leon Hess! That's all I ever hear from you people!" " ' You people?' " He screamed into the phone, "JUST COME TO THE MEETING!" and hung up in my face. I held the phone away from my ear and stared at it. Honest to God, the guy slammed the phone down in my ear. I busted out laughing, of course, and guess what? I didn't go to his shitty useless meeting.

My Willets Point Story still looms! I very unintentionally lied a few weeks ago that I was finally buckling down and doing it. I just got really busy but I swear I swear I swear I swear I swear I swear I swear I swear it's going to be this week.

Vida likes this.
  14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

A very interesting post. My two cents is that it is not outside the box thinking so much as the jets hiring unqualified people. You did not see any NFL team give Mike MacCagnan even a sniff after the jets finally canned him (after FIVE wasted years).

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL!! Nice post. Best I've read on this board in months.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. jetophile

I'm going to hone in on this one because there's a sizeable contingent on this board that was born during the Kotite era; so they had yet to experience real pain being so young at the time and also don't know much about pre-Kotite Shitsville (although Kotite Era Shitsville is indeed a special kind of Shitsville).

Tim Tebow was an unmitigated disaster. Just because he ran on the Jets and beat us as a Bronco all by himself didn't mean the guy wasn't terrible. He was an awful fit, the Jets never utilized him the way they advertised, and later on, we were all supposed to feel sorry for Tiny Tim that the Jets ruined his career. Fck that, I don't feel sorry for him to say the least. I didn't then, and I don't now. As if the guy was ever going to be lacking for money or a career outside of football. Cry me a river. Basically all I ever got to see him do as a Jet was run shirtless in the rain. Yippee. Has anyone seen his recent supplement commercials, btw? Guy is huge. Still gayer than ever.

I apologize if anyone has already mentioned this, but Santonio Holmes, another overpaid disaster. It was all fun and games while we were winning, but as soon as the team hit the skids Mr. Malcontent a/k/a Team Captain showed his true colors and quit on the team during the Miami game. I wasn't sad to see him get kicked in his ass. Arrivederci, jackass.

The old man said to me at the dinner table during the Niners/Green Bay Game after former practice squad Jet Raheem Monsert broke all kinds of records, "The Jets have no eye for talent." I said, "Well, he was with six other teams or something before he finally stuck." "Right. I don't care about the other teams, I only care about the Jets. The Jets have no eye for talent. And the times it does fall into their lap they don't know how to use the guy in whatever piece of shit system of the moment they're running and he goes somewhere else and becomes The Fcking Bionic Man." I had nothing to say in response to that, so I drained my wine glass. And then poured myself another.

Vida likes this.
  17. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

Remember Jeff Blake? He lit it up in Cincinnati while we were watching Bubby Brister and hoping Glenn Foley was the savior. Jets had cut him and he had great years at QB with the Bengals.

18. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

I agree. I think if the Jets stuck with Pennington on that team, they'd go far. All that team needed was a game manager. If you look back at the end of that season, all we needed was a smart qb, not a gunslinger. But that's in the past. It's funny how Chad and Miami put the final nail in our coffin that season. Poetic justice

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

When evaluating Mangini ask this question. If he was talented, why at his age, did he never get another job after the Browns? To me Mangini was a guy who liked being a Football coach but didn't like to coach football. How many stupid distractions did he oversee? Brett Favre Jen Sterger- kept had no control on that. The feud with Belichick and then the whole turning the Pats in. The guy had no clue how to run a football team.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

I think you're overthinking it. He was never hired again because he's a snitch and a whistleblower who has marginal success. Good luck getting another job with that blemish on your resume.

FJF and IIMeanDeanII like this.