Chiefs made it to Superbowl for the first time after 50+ years. When will Jets do the same?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 19, 2020.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

50 years........from today.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

So many Jets fans have their identity tied up in supporting a perennial loser, I hate to imagine what would happen to them if this team ever won a Super Bowl.

I suspect a great number of us would just disappear, either replaced or repulsed by a throng of bandwagoneers.

Vida likes this.
  3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’d go on a drink, coke and hooker binge that would make John Belushi think twice. I was looking forward to it but I might be doing it in my seventies at current rebuild pace.

AJW, boozer32 and Vida like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If that happens, it means Jet fans just don't give a shit anymore..

5. Cman68

Since we won the same year as the Moon Landing, I'm going with we win the same year as the Mars Landing. Circa 2032 ish..

boozer32, kevda5n9ne and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Trying to figure whether that's a more aggressive timeline for the Jets or for humankind....

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Cman68

Yeah... 12 years is a lot to ask of this ownership/FO/HC combination. Tellya what.. Lets make it 2052 instead and call it a day! :)

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

We're not even going to make the playoffs, or even be in playoff contention past midseason, at any point in the foreseeable future with the current makeup of the team. As others have pointed out, the Jets are run by guys who don't have a clue of how football works, and really don't seem to care. As long as they aren't losing money, they don't care if we go 0-16. The Hunt family, on the other hand, is a football family that was integral in the creation of what became the modern NFL. Their identity is in football. Our owners' identity is in baby shampoo and skin lotion.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Whenever the Johnsons well the team. Yeah, I’ve become one of the guys I always disagreed with. They seem to always be doing the wrong thing. Chris has waaaaay too much confidence in his current staff and Woody enjoys signing players for the headlines (see nearly 30 year old Revis and Tebow). I pray between the embarrassing records, the away fans filling our stadium, and Joe Douglas monster contract that Joe tells the Johnsons to screw off and let him do his job.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Actually the Chiefs beat us & the Raiders to reach SB4:mad:

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Realistically, the Jets can make a playoff push in 2020, then a Super Bowl push in the 2021 season, if Joe Douglas builds this thing right. Maybe even be favorites headed into 2022. If he doesn't, who knows? The NFL is unpredictable, so could be much sooner than we expect, or it may just never happen.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

feel like I heard that same comment 30 years ago about the year 2020. The Jets didn’t get to the Super Bowl and we didn’t get to Mars either

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Next year...book it!

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

With Gase and Darnold, I don't think Super Bowl contention is possible even if Douglas is the next Newsome.*

*I have more faith in Darnold than Gase, but I don't think Darnold will be transcendent enough to make any coach look good.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+100

You have said it all Sir

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I know I'm a pessimist, but at 46 years old watching what I've seen from this organization through the years, I just feel like it's not going to happen in my lifetime.

Cman68 and jilozzo like this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My most Optimistic take on the SB Journey 2020-2022

Joe Douglas>>>Good GM in Place will revamp Roster protect Sam give Sam weapons....CHECK

Greg Williams>>>Decent Defensive Coordinator makes a Silk Purse outa a Sows Ear for personnel...CHECK

Adam Gase>>>Head Coach, Offensive Brain....BOX UNCHECKEd

Johnson Bros>>>OWners who want to Win...BOX UNCHECKED

:eek::rolleyes::eek:o_O:rolleyes::mad::eek:

18. Vida

Vida Active Member

And yet for all that they've only just made their first Superbowl in half a century.

Br4d likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

46 out of 54. That's the number of times that a team has been in the Super Bowl since 1993 more than once.

What that means is that only 8 times in the last 27 years has a team gotten to the Super Bowl as their only appearance in a Super Bowl over that span. This is true even in an era where one team has dominated the Super Bowl rankings for appearances over that time.

If you're going to get to a Super Bowl the odds are pretty good that you built a team that will get there at least twice. Putting all your eggs in one basket to make that final push hasn't worked out over the last generation. I find two teams out of the last 27 seasons that clearly got to a Super Bowl because they made a huge move or series of moves to get there. The 2002 Tampa Bay Bucs traded 2 #1 draft picks to the Jets for Keyshawn Johnson (before the 2001 season) and signed Jon Gruden to be their head coach. They did this with what was clearly a top 10 all-time defense and they won a Super Bowl. The 2013 Denver Broncos (a repeater from above) signed Peyton Manning, a top 10 QB all time, to a risky free agent deal coming off of a spinal injury and handed him to a young OC they thought had the goods in Adam Gase. They got a fast SB appearance and two of Manning's best years out of the moves.

NYJetsO12 and BrowningNagle like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes, great post. There is no "get rich, quick" way to win the Superbowl. the Jets are as far away or farther away from the Super Bowl as they have been at any point in my personal lifetime. (I'm not that old, but kinda).

When Theo Epstein took over the Cubs he instituted the "The Cubs Way" a very detailed plan for getting that team to win that hadn't won anything in forever just like our Jets. It can be replicated. I almost wrote a giant post but then decided against it. the biggest thing is to come up with a specialized plan and stick the hell with it. I haven't seen the Jets do that.

The saddest part though is that when Epstein took over he said the 1st tenet is to set big goals. The singular goal across the organization should be a unified effort to win the super bowl. I don't believe the Jets can say that at all. Lots of work to do

Br4d and ColoradoContrails like this.