Aaron Hernandez: An ID Murder Mystery

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by jetophile, Jan 20, 2020.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's premiering right now on ID Discovery from 9:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. E.S.T.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Is this similar to what came out on Netflix? I only have one more episode left of that show.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

my girl wants to watch the Netflix special, but I told her if they make Hernandez out to be some kind of victim because of the gay stuff or the CTE stuff, I'm gonna puke and want to shut it off.

can you give a fellow man a heads' up? Am I gonna hate it for that reason or do they do a good job? I'd rather not have that argument with my girl

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Boomer + Gio discussed that very thing this morning. That they tried to make the viewer walk away feeling bad for him. The Netflix one at least.

I'm probably going to watch it, but I'm with you in hating when they do that with murderers.

5. jetophile

I don't have Netflix, so I don't know. Well, I should say I haven't pirated it yet so I don't know, haha. It made for some pretty compelling television. It's a two-parter. I have to check to see if the second part is airing tonight or tomorrow.

I read an extensive article a few years ago - I'm almost certain it was in Vanity Fair - where his Aaron Hernandez' brother was exclusively interviewed for the story. It was very sad, actually. He essentially had to completely uproot his life, relocate, and find a different occupation because no-one would hire him. Sometimes people subconsciously and other times flat-out overtly don't want to have anything to do with someone who is related to someone who did something heinous. Guilt by association, I felt badly for the guy.

We all know the Aaron Hernandez' brain was full of holes and that he had advanced CTE upon autopsy, but it still leaves you wondering where the guy went wrong in the first place. So many people are of the mind that monsters are made and not born. I don't believe that for a minute, but allow me to expound on that.

Musical ability? To a large degree, genetic. Artistic ability? The large degree, genetic. Being born a monster? A lot of people just do not feel comfortable with that because then they have to deal with the fact that they made that. It also has to be taken into account that things both good and bad sometimes simply occur out of nowhere and have to start some place. Jeffrey Dahmer, for example, does not fit the typical narrative of abused child with a broken home.

All that being said, environment is inarguably a factor if you have certain proclivities. Some things come forward, others recede based on how you were raised, no doubt about that. However, being an adoptee, I can attest that 30 years of separation certainly did not erase how I am essentially hard-wired.

So that brings us back to just because your father was a killer doesn't mean at all that you're destined to be a killer. You make choices; and although there is compelling, viable proof for both sides of the argument, I'm strongly in the camp that it's a combination of both with DNA being a heavily deciding factor. That still does not unequivocally mean destiny by any means.

To carry it further, it always ruffles my feathers that every time some crazy person goes on a killing spree 9 times out of 10 some jackass broadcaster makes it a point to bring up that the person was adopted, as if to imply that adoptees are never grounded, stable, balanced people. In reality, that individual would probably have had no soul no matter who raised them.

6. dawinner127

Nah. I didn't take it as them making him out as a victim because he was gay or the CTE. There is to much bad shit going on with his life to even stop and think about any of that. Some lady kept reiterating how insane of a person you must be to kill two people then play an entire season in the NFL. The only time they really mentioned the gay stuff was about him trying to hide it from his family and friends. It was definitely not the focal point.

Woodhead and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. dawinner127

I guess I had a different view. I went into it realizing how fucked up this individual was so there really was nothing Netflix could do make me say, "Oh poor Aaron".

8. dawinner127

The Netflix show really tried to create a timeline and pinpoint where Hernandez really went off the wall.

EDIT - also sorry for the triple post.

9. jetophile

So far they haven't done that with this one on ID Discovery. More of a factual presentation so far, but also delving into the real mystery of the why of it without thus far turning Hernandez into an unwitting victim. He wasn't, and I will likewise get really turned off and pissed off if they do that.

So far they mentioned the incident in college were Urban Meyer covered up for him. I'm a little unclear if that also involved murder . . . ?I'll have to watch that part again. Odin Lloyd was the real victim here, and they better not start straying from that.

Personally I'm convinced that Aaron Hernandez killed himself because he couldn't wrap his mind around how far he had fallen, not over what he had done, that being murdering three people . . . that we know of.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

I didn't say it so I'm just relaying what those two guys thought. They made good points that a lot of people come from broken homes and some find success. They referenced Mike Evans and his story.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/foo...abuse-murder-in-family-of-bucs-evans/2274844/

I'm interested to see my take on this thing. Maybe I'll watch tonight.

dawinner127 likes this.
  11. jetophile

No worries! I'm always good for a twofer, lol. One of his closest friends while he was growing up said that after his father died was when it started. A black and white change, dead inside. As in not even the same person, all of his empathy disappeared.

Woodhead and dawinner127 like this.
  12. dawinner127

His world didn't really start to fall apart until his Father passed away so I guess that just broke him. Then he went to Florida and not UCONN and got away without paying for stuff and everything was just handed out to him because he was a freak athlete on the Florida football team.

Definitely worth the watch. I've enjoyed it all so far.

The thing that really gave me the chills was in the Netflix show they had interviews with the guards and they said it didn't even matter to AH that he was in prison. He felt as if it was NFL training camp.

13. jetophile

Curtis Martin found his murdered grandmother with a knife sticking out of her chest. Last thing I heard he went into the Hall as a first ballot Hall of Famer as a model citizen, never broke any laws, never hit women, never got involved with drugs, hookers, stabbings, shootings at a club, you name it. The guy is so wholesome it makes me feel ashamed of myself.

So many people are of the opinion that what happens off the field shouldn't matter when it comes to a player's talent i.e. the HOF. All I have to say to that is that it makes me feel damn good about it when the person inducted also happens to not be a bag of dogshit as a person. Maybe that's just me, I don't know.

Jonathan_Vilma and dawinner127 like this.
  14. jetophile

How else do you deal with it, I guess. What I found the most chilling is that after his conviction and subsequent sentencing there was not one scintilla of remorse. No denial that he did it, but no remorse whatsoever. You can't fake empathy but you can fake remorse. A lot of narcissists and sociopaths show "remorse" as a conditioned response because that's the affect you're supposed to have, but he never went there, not even once.

I don't know, sometimes I'd look at the guy in the courtroom during his trial and it was like he had fish eyes with nothing behind them. I've seen people with soulless eyes before. It's very disconcerting.

dawinner127 likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

thanks and yeah that's a great point that lady makes

16. BrowningNagle

was he even really gay? none of that shit even came out until he was already convicted of the murder and trying to appeal / reduce his sentence.

I mean most people would say anything to get sympathy in that situation, especially a liar and murderer.

Also, at that same time that the gay thing came out, he switched his representation to Jose Baez, the lying scumbag attorney who has represented Casey Anthony & George Zimmerman among others. That guy is very skilled at thinking up distracting narratives, often untrue.

17. jetophile

The second part is airing at 9:00.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

So I watched two of three parts of the Netflix doc and I don't think they tried to be overly sympathetic to him on purpose, but that's what comes across through all of the jail calls. I don't think they showed enough of him talking like a gangster to realize what a terrible person he was.

It's clear that he was never a very intelligent guy either. He reminds me a lot of Brendan Dassey from Making a Murderer.

I don't think the Netflix one was well done. I have no idea why they didn't go in chronological order. There was zero reason as to why they didn't. Too much bouncing around and a lot of irrelevant people. Chris Borland had to chime in to try to make some coin; why? Because he was scared of CTE and retired early? Ryan O'Callaghan with a lot of irrelevant discussion about being a gay football player. That semi-pro football player friend of Odin Lloyd?

I know the majority of A-List people closer to Hernandez obviously wouldn't have done these interviews but there were a lot of irrelevant monologues.

I'm going to watch the ID one next and let you know @jetophile

dawinner127 likes this.
  19. dawinner127

Alright so I wasn't the only one who didn't understand why nothing was done in order and there was a lot of jumping around. I kept having to pause it and go back to and put shit together.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

It just would've made a lot of sense to start with his father's death and move through into his high school buddy's and what not.

It almost seemed like they wanted to get RIGHT into him being gay for shock value. It was really poorly done.