Revis Slams Sherman

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Since1969, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

You just can't make this stuff up.

Yesterday., Darrelle Revis took to social media to criticize Richard Sherman for avoiding man-to-man coverage.
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ard-sherman-for-avoiding-man-to-man-coverage/

Sherman responded by saying, “I would go in on this but I have a Super Bowl to prepare for. Enjoy the view from the couch.” In today's column, Peter King called Revis' comments "one of the saddest, most look-at-me social things I’ve seen since, well, since Antonio Brown’s last stupid thing in the social sphere."
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-chiefs-49ers-super-bowl-liv-fmia-peter-king/

Sherman's an older cornerback. Remember when Revis was an older cornerback in his second go-round with the Jets? Play 15 yards off your man so you don't get beat,. and if your guy gets the ball, make a business decision on every play and avojd contact at all costs.

Revis was ungodly good in his first stint with the Jets, but his second stint was painful, and I find it hard to respect Revis, the man. I don't think he's the guy to be casting stones at Sherman.

jilozzo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

While I agree about his second stint here, Revis did get a ring with his second team. And Sherman has never played man coverage. He isn't in the same discussion because he has to have a safety behind him the way he plays. Revis in his prime could take out the opponent's best weapon by himself. Sherman never could.

But on the comments yes in his last stint at the end of his career he was bad.

3. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to compare Revis and Sherman as players as much as to express the opinion that it was just a really stupid fight for Revis to pick on social media.Unless there was some history between these two or Revis is just bored sitting at home, it makes no sense. It makes Revis look very petty for pissing on Sherman's parade.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

“That’s terrible effort by Darrell Revis”

-Tony Dungy

FJF likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

*third team. His second team was the bucs

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. J-Raw24

That too. I try to forget the Buccaneers. Point was he was still good and playing man coverage 8 years in. Sherman has never played good man coverage and never been able to lock down the top target by himself. I would question him as well. There are a lot better corners and he has benefited from good schemes and the players around him. Basically he is no Revis or Deon.

FJF likes this.
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I'd take Prime Revis over Prime Sherman everday of the week.

As to the whole 'Why is he slamming Sherman?" - I kinda don't mind when the positional greats give us their views on the current crop of positional players.

Both will probably end up in Canton anyways.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Is there a way to block people from HOF?

Mevi$ is what he is ..a money hungry POS

9. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If I had the Revis skillset then I'd be making damn sure I got paid for it, especially if there was a team willing to overpay me!

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I like Sherman I wanted the Jets to sign him to team with Adams in our secondary.

That woulda been something. I imagine things like that.

The paid professionals on the Jets imagined signing Trumaine Johnson instead.

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If Revis had taken better care of his body the same way he took care of his bank account by holding out for more cash every other year his prime would've lasted longer and he wouldn't have been done in his early 30s.

Sherman is in his early 30s and about to start in his third Super Bowl, still playing at a high level.

Since1969 likes this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Look at the players around Sherman for this entire career. Two All Pro safeties in Earl Thomas + Kam. Then that passrush was also no joke with Seattle. Doesn't sound to difficult for an NFL CB to sit in deep third with those other players around you. Now in SF? That pass rush has 4 or 5 first rounders. Sherman has played with elite talent his entire career. That 2009 year that Revis had is hands down the best year any CB has ever had. It's a shame Woodson won DPOY that season because of his sexy stats in INTs, FR's, and a few sacks.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

does Revis realize how stupid and petty he sounds? like doesn't he have guys, buddies or agents or something to tell him that he's just making himself look bad with this trashy twitter fight?

Since1969 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think it's ok to acknowledge that they're both All-Time Greats. And I honestly hate both of them.

Sherman played with better players, in a more friendly system, but he also picked off a ton of balls in those zone schemes they played. He had 20 interceptions in his first three years and 2 touchdowns.

Revis was the better cover corner. His 2009 season will likely never be replicated and he was absolutely robbed of the DPOY award because Woodson had the flashier stats. I think if Revis wanted to, and never would've decided to make business decisions after he left New England, he could've been a great free safety, in the ways both Woodson's and Ronnie Lott transitioned.

Revis is a douchebag mercenary that was all about the money and Sherman is a douchebag that never stops running his mouth. As they locked up the #1 seed, Sherman still wouldn't stop talking about the doubters. There weren't a lot left, Rich...

But this whole thing is dumb. Revis should shut his mouth.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sherman is NO Revis or Deion, that's correct. He's a much better teammate than both of them combined. And I loved Revis and Deion, but its true

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I guess Cromartie was on Undisputed today and said something Revis didn't like? I didn't catch the clip so not sure how it was brought up but here is Cro and Revis going at it.

J-Raw24 and jilozzo like this.
  17. J-Raw24

Interesting. Wonder what was said.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Both are complete dickheads who are way too insecure about how they are perceived by media and fans. And both chose to sign with their old team's main rival to stick it to them, as they are egomaniacs.

For the record, prime Revis > prime Sherman, but Sherman has been good for longer.

I'd love to see Tyreek Hill burn Sherman all over the field in the SB, hopefully they put him on Sherman's side a bit as we know he doesn't shadow particular receivers.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I don't understand why a guy like Revis needs to pop off like this instead of being an elder statesman type of guy and being remembered as a big player instead of a big mouth. I also don't understand those guys here who constantly complain that he wanted too much money to play the game. How many guys making these comments work for less than they could get? And more so, why?

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the complaint. The issue is he showed up overweight and clearly didn't put in the work on and off the field that he did in his first stint with the Jets despite getting paid more than adequately. Couple that with his helping NE win another title and there's some valid animosity.

He's still definitely a HOFer and an all-time Jet though.