Collective Rejoice

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 20, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

Look at this quote from Maccagnan.

“It was never a situation where were we trying to get out of the third pick,” Maccagnan said. "We felt very comfortable being there. We said very publicly, we knew we were going to get a good player at three – a potentially very good player at three. But we went through our process of talking to teams.”

Now rejoice in the fact he is no longer running this team. The draft is not far away and we have reason to believe this year might actually be different.

This quote gets me because it shows the absolute ignorance and stupidity of Maccagnan and his regime. You didn't get a good player at 3- you got Quinnen Williams. Williams is a project defensive tackle whose strength is stopping the run in a passing league. This was not a position of need for the Jets and the selection was devoid of logic. I can't stress the Jets did not get a good player as Williams play was far below what the number 3 overall pick should provide. Had they taken Ed Oliver or Josh Allen in pursuit of building a team pursuant to a blue print laid out in 1976, then they would have gotten a good player. Instead they got the second coming of Leonard Williams.

Why did the Jets feel comfortable there? Based on the capital given up for Darnold, and the fact they have a franchise QB, which they got via the 3rd pick the year before, why would they feel comfortable at 3? This team had deficiencies, was low on picks coming off a 4 win season. The last thing the Jets should have been was comfortable. Maybe this comfort is what led to them wasting not only the third pick, but an entire draft, because the more I look the more I think Edoga is the only one who will turn into a player worthy of his selection.

In my 25 years watching the NFL I have never seen an executive love his moves before he even makes them like Maccagnan.

boozer32, rohirrim665, dmw and 4 others like this.
  2. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

When the Jets drafted Q. I was elated. Though i expected more , realizing that there are not many 21 yo DT's in the past that can be of 1st round impact , I'm not at all disappointed. Matter of fact , considering his age , inexperience and the high ankle sprain he incurred at the beginning, I though Q did ok.

We don't know what mac's offers were for trading down....all I can say is live with it and move on.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The problem wasn't that he didn't trade down. It was the fact that he took another interior DL over an edge rusher that we badly needed.

alleycat9, dmw, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Got it.

MacCagnan was a dumbass.

Let's move on... :cool:

apjbfc, FJF, All Gas No Shake and 7 others like this.
  5. NFLDayspast

They turned down trade offers at the deadline for him and I think this was a mistake. It bothers me that Douglas had the chance to remedy a huge mistake and didn't take it.

Ask this question- which Jet team would be better in 2020? The Jets with Quinnen Williams at DT or the Jets with an additional first and sixth rounder/ or additional 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounder. Douglas was supposedly offered a very good deal at the deadline and turned it down. I look to the Fitzpatrick trade involving the Dolphins and Steelers to come up with a likely potential return. Fitzpatrick is better, position value is similar and Williams is younger. It is a decent comp.

I think the Jets with more picks would be a better team. I am very disappointed the Jets did not seize the opportunity to erase a Maccagnan mistake- as this draft coincides with their needs.

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Ok, so you are disappointed in the Jets not trading down or not picking a pass rusher, we get that..I certainly get it. Where is this going to go? I hate the idea of harping on something that's not going to change by just making an argument whether it's a good one or not.

I'll tell you where I stand in this:
    When I saw the 49'ers last night shred the GB DL with a dam running back that was on the Jets practice squad in 2016 for over 200 freakin' yards, I can confidently say that that would no where near occur if they were facing the Jets D. Maybe the Jets pass rush is weak and we all know what they may have missed in not drafting Allen, but plugging up the middle and stopping the run and preventing the opposition from chewing up the clock is just as important, at least in my playbook.

FJF, Footballgod214, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  7. JetsCuseYanksFan

The Green Bay Packers defensive line says Hello!

I wish everyone would stop saying this is a passing league. We’ve learned this playoff season it’s not, with what the Titans and 49’ers have done. My wife is a huge Packers fan and while watching the game I said if our Jets “D” was out there we would be going to the SB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

as one of Macc's biggest critics myself, i say time to move on

Plus it's too soon to tell with Q. Super young and IMO talented

Personally I wanted Allen (but also admit i am not good at projecting who will succeed in NFL)

Ralebird likes this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Before we move on let's close our eyes and picture the scene at Jets headquarters while they were attempting to woo Dante Hightower. Here comes Mac walking into the room holding a plate of Jets themed cupcakes. I guess in his mind that would be the 'gotcha moment'? Less than an hour later Hightower was gone.....LOL!!

BomberJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

It's way too early to give up on Quinnen Williams.

I don't get the hate on interior lineman. Some of the most impactful players in NFL history have been interior d-lineman Sapp and most recently Donald to name a couple.

Give Quinnen a chance.

This is more nonsense like the people hating on Adams because he's "just a safety".

A great player is a great player. IF Quinenn becomes one he'll be wrecking games.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Macc traded 3 high picks to move up 3 spots to take a QB. He spent 4 of his next 10 picks on that side of the ball to draft an OT, 2 TE's and a RB. The year before his bold move up for a QB? 3 offensive players in 9 picks.

You can't make this stuff up. Somehow Macc decided that spending 4 picks at QB was enough of an overload on that side of the ball to get the job done.

tomdeb likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the dessert or his draft picks?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

LOL both I guess.

One could only imagine what Hightower was thinking as he peeled out of the parking lot ... LOL

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone is discounting a good run defense but you can probably build a solid run D from players you can get in free agency or waivers. Heck, we essentially did that this year when all our starters went down. What can you not easily get/get cheaply in free agency? A pass rusher and offensive line. So when we get defensive line for 5 of the last 10 first rounds we selected, you see why it’s absolutely bonkers that we keep doing it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It was a bad pick but I don't dislike the player. And I can't tell if he was unable to trade down and is just trying to play poker by saying he didn't want to, or if he really didn't want to move down.

I don't think there were a ton of teams banging down the door to move up once Bosa was taken. I always want us to move down and acquire picks but I don't think it's always an option without completely pissing value away (which he routinely did in the middle rounds).

Quinnen Williams still has a chance to be a stud. He's a really good kid and he's super young. He was dominant in college on raw ability. Defensive tackles struggle their rookie year because of it. They rarely know how to use their hands or create angles and leverage for themselves because they just spent 13 college games bowling over people with raw power.

I think he can still be a really good pocket pusher.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This. Jets D was #1 last season at STOPPING 3rd or 4th and short, getting the ball back for Sam.

BomberJet likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Q in the middle gives Adams some freedom to roam. We don't need Adams run blitzing every play to get a stop.

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

As I have posted before, I really don't think MacCagnan understood basic football concepts--you should never use such a high pick for an interior DL when your coordinator runs a lot of 3-4 defense. I still say the jets should make Q. available for trade this offseason and acquire several picks from a 4-3 (defense) team that could turn him loose. Put Q. on a team running a permanent 4-3 defense and he would be Fletcher Cox. IMO he still has lots of trade value, and with Foley, Shepard, Anderson, Phillips etc, we have plenty of 3-4 DE.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Don't have a problem with the Q pick. Was hoping for Allen but see the logic in the pick. Q being compared to A. Donald means that he can do both, stop the run and get pressure on the QB. Even if he doesn't get sacks, he could make opposing O's spend two blockers to contain him freeing up other D players to be more effective. My question is why the Jets draft highly rated DT's (L and Q Williams) and play them on the outside instead of inside where they excelled in college?

BomberJet likes this.
  20. NFLDayspast

This is the draft to have as many picks as possible when it comes to Jet needs. I agree but will go farther- you never draft a player at 3 that will not have an immediate impact. A pick that high is not for a project player. This is my point- he viewed Williams as a good player and he isn't. He is a project with tons of potential but not yet a good player. The fact Maccagnan didn't see that is the problem. Maccagnan knew he was on the hot seat leading up to the draft. Look at the risk he took on Polite- he was drafting for this year trying to save his job and win immediately. His evaluation of Williams under all circumstances shows exactly what you said- he does not get basic concepts.

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.