Free Agent Profiles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 19, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

It is very important for the Jets to avoid older free agents. The line needs to be repaired but when you look at KO and Kalhil, you see two guys that were just finished.

The KO deal was actually praised at the time because nobody knew he was finished. I would use both as examples of why the Jets should only consider younger OL free agents and free agents in general.

I say the Jets can only target free agents that fit the profile of Leonard Williams of all people. They need to focus on guys seeking a second contract and regarded as having untapped potential. It is time to do a James Farrier in reverse- lets acquire a guy like the Steelers did with him and unleash his potential.

This is the only reason I have changed my tune on Jadaveon Clowney. Greg Williams and Jamal Adams might help him reach his full potential. The one position the Jets likely have to address with FA is an edge rusher. Clowney is actually young enough and the system makes sense to where he might actually be a difference maker.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Clowney is good all around on defense, but he isn't much of a sack artist. He will be the highest-paid FA on the market. There's no way that he's worth it. He would prevent our signing OL and CBs in FA.

I also disagree that we should only sign FAs looking for their 2nd contract. In a couple of years, we'll hopefully be able to be in that position if Douglas is any good in the draft. Right now, we need to protect Sam. So if that means giving Scherff $13 million per season, then we do it.

Noam likes this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Rent a Brinks truck, put a Jets logo on it and drive it to Scherff's house at 12:00 am on March 16th. Knock on his door and hand him the keys. That is where my off-season plan begins.

Mr mittens and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Except for resigning Poole and signing a mid level CB, I’m ignoring the defense.

Resign Robbie, Beachum, and Lewis. Then as Noam said back up the brinks truck for Scheff, then draft three OLs with the understanding two of the need to start day one.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm good on Clowney. He's a dominant player when he's in there but he's in and out of the lineup both literally and physically. He dominates a handful of games and is a no show in others. He's definitely a really good player though and truly does dominate games when he wants to.

He would make more sense on a perennial Super Bowl contender where they can almost save some of what's in his tank for the playoffs. He will without a doubt get paid a hefty number though.

We need to walk away from free agency with at least three offensive lineman. Even if there's only one blue Chip signing that's an automatic starter, we need a couple depth players behind that.

I'm in agreement on second contract players if we're paying any sort of coin.

jilozzo likes this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yes 2-3 OL......i looked at the list a few days ago and it shows at least a couple of quality interior lineman that are versatile at center and guard. think the tackle spot has to come heavy from the draft.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

beachum has to be brought back. We can’t go in the draft needing both tackles. Ideally we draft wirfs and let him start at right this year and transition to left next year.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We're not that close. Douglas forced a 6 yr deal for a reason. Build with youth and build where the draft takes us.

This year's draft is supposed to be RICH in WRs. Go there. Get some good ones that will produce for years to come.

Get the best o-line we can get, but DON'T REACH, DON'T OVERPAY. We're not that close.

Same with edge. Same with DBs. Get the best we can, but get the young ones, and DON'T REACH, DON'T OVERPAY.

Hackenberg was a perfect example of a desperate team willing to overreach. MacCagnan always seemed desperate. Always seemed willing to overpay, overreach.

Don't be like Macc. We're not that close. Stay the course. Stay young.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Clowney is an amazing football player and would be great on this defense. There is talk about signing Jordan Jenkins to a big deal, for a few million more you can have clowney instead who is way better

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Is this in the hope that he will not go on IR for the 3rd consecutive season?

Pec, elbow, shoulder, the man really is getting beat up fast and he's 29 in December.

Signing and trading for injury-prone vets is like running with scissors. More often than not you're going to get cut.

Ralebird and Noam like this.