Drafting Backup QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 17, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

The Jets are in need of a backup QB. What are thoughts on addressing that via the draft. There are many project QBs in this draft. With the extra third rounder, I am not opposed to using the 4th round pick on the best QB prospect still available. The Jets would be well served with a Gardner Minshew type of backup QB.

The Patriots model always involved a talented and competent backup QB, that not only filled in admirably but later led to them recouping an asset via trades.

Is this the year to spend a 4th rounder on a QB?

If the Jets do this they have to avoid a MaCagnan in trading down 4 slots for a conditional 6th round pick when he is convinced nobody else will take the guy he wants, and then another team does.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that we need to draft a backup QB, but unless a great prospect falls into their lap, I think we should wait until next year. IMO this year has to be about upgrading the OL and WR corps and adding a RB. If we address any other position, imo it should be edge or CB.

3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I could see Shea Patterson if he's available in the 6th. He could be a decent game manager.

4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I agree but I think we have too many holes in the starting roster in 2020. I’d rather use a 3rd/4th in 2021 to get a good prospect than a 6th/7th in 2020 to get a slightly-better-than-UDFA pick.

And, yes, I know Sam hasn’t proven himself to be super durable thus far.

FJF likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

draft a QB every year. its a smart move.

Jalen Hurts would be a decent option if/when he falls to the later rounds. He is experienced and tough.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. J-Raw24

Not sure how far Hurts falls but you are right he would be a good backup.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Hurts will go in the 3rd/4th which is higher than I'd want to commit. He's a good choice and at the very least he'll be a good backup because he's a great soldier and a hard worker. Definitely someone you'll want to keep around your team.

Later in the draft, where we'll be looking, I like Nate Stanley and Brian Lewerke. Both big armed Big 10 quarterbacks. Stanley doesn't move well at all but he's got the Roethlisberger type of stature and is great throwing outside the numbers.

Lewerke should've had a better season and set himself up to be a higher pick. That team was destroyed by injuries though. I prefer guys like that who played with coaches who could easily be NFL coaches against good defenses than the Big 12 and Pack 12 guys that just put up gaudy numbers.

Red Menace and J-Raw24 like this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You wanna draft a developmental QB in the late Ed’s that fine. However we should not be using anything higher than a 6th on a QB when that pick can & should be used to help our Qb.

You’re not gonna go into the season relying on a mid round rookie QB as the main back up anyway, the back up QB needs to come out of FA.

FJF, Leicester Jet and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd be open to a little Colt McCoy action.

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He's going undrafted, that would be a waste of a 6th round pick.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah. He's not great, but he's a pretty solid/good backup QB. I've been thinking of him myself.

12. J-Raw24

He won't go undrafted. He will go in the 6th or 7th. Pats might even grab him in the 6th.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

While I agree that drafting a QB almost every year till you have a high potential in waiting is usually a damned good idea I would say not this year. This team has a young QB already with an inadequate support cast and we must first and foremost build that up. We should look at free agency for a suitable back up for 2020. Next year hopefully we have more flexibility to strike if a QB with the potential to be a starter falls to us with a mid range pick. The risk/reward is big if we hit.