You are Joe Douglas. Tell me what you would do this offseason.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You keep referring to the fucking Bills as if they are the golden standard of FA OL signing. They got lucky. It happens. I get it.

Should you bank on getting lucky? HELLO?

On top of that, front office SHOULD grow some aversion toward FA signing anyway. If the entire league was built on FA, with the players getting the matching market value, the entire league is destined to go 8-8. It does involve underpaying the top talent through any scheme or design you can find.

Lastly - if there IS a young top talent FA that Jets can land with a reasonable deal, fine. They should pull the trigger. What is the chance of that happening? I just don't see it happening.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Jesus relax. I’m just trying to point out that it’s kind of unfounded to claim you shouldn’t sign tackles and centers in free agency.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I place a stud WR ahead of CB and neck and neck with the pass rusher. We're desperate for massively improving the skill positions and pass rush, not as desperate for improving the secondary. Note: I am NOT saying that we don't need better CBs, but it's not as desperate a need as the offense.

My hope is that they can sign a stud pass rusher - not Clowney - in FA and use the draft to get the OL and WR filled.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yea they are the exception to the rule thats for sure. not a model to follow

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Here's some examples of teams successfully using free agency to revamp their offensive lines.

From 2016 to 2017, the Vikings replaced the entire starting five and went from 8-8 to 13-3. In the same time frame, the Rams replaced three of five starters and went from 4-12 to 11-5.

The 2015 Titans replaced four of five starters and went from 3-13 to 9-7 the following year.

The 2017 Texans replaced four out of five starters and went from 4-12 to 11-5.

The 2013 Ravens replaced three out of five starters and went from 8-8 to 10-6.

It's done frequently. It's the one position group where you can count on free agents because they can play into their mid thirties with great success. We've done it ourselves. Pete Kendall, Alan Faneca, and Damien Woody were all free agent acquisitions that helped this franchise a ton.

So your whole 'free agency offensive line signings don't work' theory isn't really correct.

6. BrowningNagle

gonna be multiple years to rebuild this line. It wont happen in 1 offseason

7. Jonathan_Vilma

It won't. But at least three of five starters need to be replaced and will be lucky to have NFL jobs next year. That can't exclusively be done in the draft. Free agency needs to be used to supplement the line.

It's not like we have a bevy of young players we're going to need to re-sign in the next couple years. Adams and Darnold is really it.

barfolomew and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

5 of 5 players need to be replaced. more even than that, as it would be nice to have some depth.

I believe Zach's point is that rebuilding the line through free agency shouldn't be done because it will not work. I agree with him, although I think if they can swing a trade that would be a good idea

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

They aren’t the exception to the rule and no one said they are the model to follow. But most importantly, they aren’t the exception to the rule as has already been pointed out by someone else in this thread.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets can get the line to middle of the pack rankings by the end of the off-season. Should they prioritize the unit of course.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It "WILL" not work is a bold statement. It's worked before, so It can work. It's just not likely. Big difference there.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

1) Fire Gase immediately and hire a new HC while retaining Gregg Williams

2) Get some FA Olineman here even if it means overpaying. Scherff and Conklin at top of my list.

3) Improve the CB situation so Williams can play his true defense

4) Try to add playmakers wherever possible

5) Use the draft to add long term talent, and don’t chase/try to fill needs with draft picks

IIMeanDeanII and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

There are plenty of free agent tackles and centers that have helped franchises a ton.

A few below.

Andrew Whitworth (LT)
    Rodney Hudson (C)
    Alex Mack (C)
    RileyReiff (LT)
    JC Tretter (C)
    Mitchell Schwartz(RT)
    Ben Jones (C)
    Duane Brown (LT)
    John Sullivan (C)

J-Raw24 likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Kevin Mawae, Damien Woody, heck even the Beachum signing made a lot of sense.

We need some FA Olineman.
    Darnold needs an immediate upgrade in protection, and you just can't count on rookie draft picks for that.
    Of course I would still like to draft some Olineman for the long term though..

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

One of Scherff or Conklin, Wirfs/Thomas/Becton, Biadasz/Ruiz/Cushenberry, Beachum, and Lewis should be a competent OL.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  16. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Keeping Beachum, getting Conklin, and Drafting a first round tackle wouldn't make much sense. I don't think any of the 5 can play guard as they won't get low enough. Wirfs maybe, but he looks a lot more like a tackle to me. Scherff I would love to have, but Lewis is good depth, I would look to draft a guard in the 3rd/4th Kindley would be great let them compete. As for center I like some of the ones from 3rd back as well. I would try for Glasgow then get a kid to compete. Glasgow can slide to guard as well so not big deal. Fill all holes you can before the draft.

17. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

Quit and run from this joke of an organization. It’s a graveyard where players and coaches go to die.

18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Huge focus on o-line. Second priority would be pass rush.

19. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Is that what you would say if you were Joe Douglas or are you just saying it?

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I would tell Chris just to go on vacation and don't come back until after the draft.