You are Joe Douglas. Tell me what you would do this offseason.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Vida

Vida Active Member

Locking up Adams is an absolute must. It would be good to sign Anderson also but if he does go it wouldn't kill me. Adams cannot be let out the building though.

Besides that the OL must be first priority. I don't know the specifics of players we should be signing/drafting but there are multiple OL positions that need to be addressed.

After that any combination of WR, CB and edge rusher should be the focus. Probably won't hit everything in the one off-season but these are the positions that we desperately need to cover. Possibly RB too if Bell does leave.

Mogriffjr and J-Raw24 like this.
  2. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

The first thing I would do is tell him not to try and talk Jon Ogden out of retirement.

Then I would say "in this league you can never be too good against the run, draft the best 4 DT tackles with your first four picks". The remaining picks you go safety and tight end.

Jokes aside I would say this- in 2020 it has been proven you cannot build an O line via free agency and the later rounds of the draft.

3. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Didn’t the bills just get a full o-line via free agency last year?

dmarz45 likes this.
  4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

No. Cody Ford was the 2nd round pick, Dion Dawkins 2nd round, Feliciano, Spain, and Morse were FA acquisitions. Fact is you need both, FA and draft picks. I really wanted Ford, he was great in college but... the Darnold trade took our 2nd rounder. That said both their tackles are home grown. Over paying fa tackles is pretty iffy. But guards and centers seem to work.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Start building the offensive line through the draft, free agency or trade. That needs to be fixed first and foremost. It has been ignored far too long.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vida, Brook! and Jets1035 like this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Using all resources to improve the OL. Without relying on OLD RETIRED players at the position. We need good solid YOUTH on the line. I'm tired of this being an issue every year.

I'm letting Robby walk, I think he is extremely over-rated on these boards. He's gonna get a monster contract, the last thing we need to do Is invest that kind of money in a slightly above average WR. No thanks.

The guys I'm signing from our team last year:
    Jenkins (3yr), Hewitt (2yr), Beachum( 1yr), Pool (3yr), Alex Lewis (2yr), Burgess (Tender), Maulet (Tender), Shell (2yr), Edwards (4yr)

The guys I'm releasing from our team last year:
    Tru Johnson, Brian Winters, Josh Bellamy, Darryl Roberts

FA's I'm trying to sign:

Devin Funchess, WR, (3yr)
    Eric Ebron, TE, (2yr)
    Jack Conklin, RT, (4yr)
    Brandon Scherff, G, (3yr)
    Eli Apple, CB, (2yr)
    Greg Zuerlein, K, (2yr)

Draft:

Round 1 Pick 11: CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma
    Round 2 Pick 11: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville
    Round 3 Pick 4: JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio State
    Round 3 Pick 11: Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa
    Round 4 Pick 11: Patrick Queen, OLB, LSU
    Round 5 Pick 10: Tre'Vour Wallace-Simms, OG, Missouri
    Round 6 Pick 31: Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU

I'm also trading Le'Veon Bell after this draft.

That's my brain dead plan. GG

#26 IIMeanDeanII, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

A lot of people seem to be pegging Becton in the second on here. It would be great, but is he really going to make to the second?

8. IIMeanDeanII

By draft time, no, I doubt it. I think he probably goes mid-late first after It's all said and done. Things happen though, people fall. It could happen.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I
    I do'nt think Queen's gonna last until the 4th. After his breakout game in front of millions in addition to his already improved draft stock (he was a rising speedy and rangy LB who can cover), I'd be shocked if he last past the 2nd round.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Agreed. And if he does make it the second I highly doubt that he makes it to the Jets at the 16th pick. Yet, no doubt, there will be some who imply that the GM is somehow at fault for him not making it down that far. It is possible that you get really lucky and players at positions of need drop to just where you want them, but in reality it doesn't happen often.

IIMeanDeanII and J-Raw24 like this.
  11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

1 oline- most important
    2 pass rusher
    3 corner

Brook! likes this.
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Go after Hunter Henry

Of course he will help Sam immensely most obviously, but also you cannot let the cheaters snag him and give Cheating Tom a second wind. If Hunter Henry does join the cheaters, at least make sure cheaters have to pay heavily for his service.

2. I don't think Shaq Barrett is leaving TB. Or Ngakoue is leaving Jax. Or Matthew Judon is leaving Baltimore (even though I think the latter two is more possible than the first.) If any of them comes off free, go after him

3. Stay well clear of Jadeveon Clowney. [He will command SHIT TON of money. Seahawks will not tag him.]

4. Stay the hell away from FA OLs. In today's NFL, any GM that lets a stud OL go should be fired right on that spot - meaning, good, young OLs just do not hit the FA market.

5. If Bell is indeed traded away (I doubt it) then they will have to draft OL AND RB. More scouting job to do after that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

This is way early, still got senior bowl, combine, etc.... I think a lot of these guys rise, I think a lot will fall. I agree with you though, I think he could make it into the 2nd at this point as well.

Keep in mind, I did a draft simulator for my draft picks, so, as of now, that's just the way the draft I did fell. ;)

Mogriffjr likes this.
  14. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I would try to trade down. Seattle we might be able to swap firsts our 11th for their 27th and get one of their second rounder. Philadelphia might do the same and maybe we could get a second and a fourth. I'd then spend the 3 out of my first four picks on o-line and the remaining pick on a WR. Then I would go CB and past that just grab the best player available, see if they work out somehow. I would try to sign at least two vet o-line men, re-sign Robby, try to lure another solid WR here(maybe even go for the top guy in the market), keep Bell, and deal with the Adams issue head on by paying him. I would also try to sign some defensive players; starters at CB and camp-bodies for LB's and DL. I would probably cut avery williamson and a few others on the team. Broadly speaking that's the direction I would go in.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The Bills disagree. Other than one guy who was a part time player til the second half of the season, they remade their OL with all free agents I believe. Brandon Scherff is 28 and good and should be the first call Douglas makes.

FJF likes this.
  16. J-Raw24

No they didn't both Tackles were 2nd rounders they developed. One guard that played last 8 games I believes was also drafted by them. But the center and other guard and guard that played first 8 games were free agents. It was 50/50. But you are correct. FA And draft is equally important.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He's been injured for the past two seasons.

I do not mind FA OL for guards, but tackles and centers must not come from FA.

18. BroadwayAaron

My bad, I meant this past offseason the guys that the Bills added on the OL were free agents other than Ford

19. BroadwayAaron

Again, ask the Bills how it’s worked out with Morse.

I get what you’re saying. Good players shouldn’t be available if they’re good. But I don’t think that’s the set standard, teams let players walk for a multitude of reasons. Robby is good, but if someone decides to pay him $14 mil a year then we should absolutely let him walk and that doesn’t mean he isn’t good. And narrowing it down to OL, I can’t remember his name to save my life but we let a free agent OL walk and then went on to be a very solid starter for the Bears for years.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. J-Raw24

Dawson was drafted last year. Ford this year and replace Glenn I think (could be wrong. The guard they go in FA as well as Mitch Morse. I think one of the guards were hurt and another player took his spot after 8 games. Not 100% as I tend to not watch Bill's much. I do keep track. I also wanted ford but we didn't have a pick. With how he played though would have made more sense than Williams.