Sam Darnold's 2nd year statistical numbers compared to the 2nd year #s of Tom Brady and Drew Brees.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jan 17, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Tom Brady (2002): 3rd year player/2nd year starter.

25 years old.

373/601 (62.1%).

3,764 yards (235 yards per game, long of 49 yards).

28 TD's/14 INT's.

31 sacks.

9-7 record (56.2%) consisting of 2 4th quarter come from behind wins and 3 game winning drives.

QB Rating of 85.7.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Sam Darnold (2019'):
    22 years old.

273/441 (61.9%).

3,024 yards (232 yards per game, long of 92 yards).

19 TD's/13 INT's.

33 sacks.

7-6 record (53.8%) consisting of 2 4th quarter come from behind wins and 3 game winning drives)

QB Rating of 84.3.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Drew Brees (2002):
    23 years old.

320/526 (60.8%).

3,284 yards (205 yards per game, long of 52 yards).

17 TD's/16 INT's.

24 sacks.

8-8 record (50.0%) consisting of 4 4th quarter come from behind wins and 2 game winning drives.

QB Rating of 76.9.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

I created this thread because it's mind boggling to see certain fans posting about "Tom Brady" and "Drew Brees" and "accuracy" as a knock on Sam Darnold - without first taking note of how both Brady and Brees looked way back when as only 2nd year starters.

Please do not tell any of us Jet fans how Sam Darnold doesn't have potential to become greatness as Brady and Brees did; without first understanding that not not even Brady/Brees looked like Brady/Brees as of today, as only 2nd year kids and please take note on how Sam Darnold's 2nd year numbers are the numbers of a Quarterback who was quarterbacking behind arguably one of the worst NFL makeshift offensive lines of All-Time within a brand new offensive system.

Sam Darnold's 2nd year #s (as you can see) are right up there with the 2nd year statistical production as that of even Tom Brady and better than that of Drew Brees': I'd say that we've got ourselves a Franchise QB within the makings in order to build our offensive line and team around and you're clueless if you're judging his potential based off of his makeshift offensive line in which has been surrounding him.

#1 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's great but I haven't seen anyone attempting to draw a reference to anything other than the collective work of guys like Brees and Brady. Along with that comes the understanding that over the course of an extended career are good years and bad years. So what's the point?

Jets69 likes this.
  3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Same idiotic comparisons were made with Sanchez and Peyton Manning, this one is as bad, if not worse

94Abraham likes this.
  4. Vida

Vida Active Member

His potential is obvious but the comparisons are futile. Without a stable/competent ownership and front office it will be pushing shit uphill for any player to realise their potential.

LAJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I don't think I have see any Jets fan on here question Sam's potential. We question front office and coaching potential. If Brees and Brady didn't have good front offices and coach (and some cheating for the later) do you think they become what they are today? If a team was not built around them would the next able to have hall of fame careers? If the coach didn't game plan correctly on both side of the ball would they have rings? Darnold can have all the potential in the world (and I think he does) but without weapons, protection, a ST unit that gives him good placement, and D that keep the other o out and gives Sam the ball frequently, he just a kid with potential.

FlaJet, KurtTheJetsFan, Vida and 2 others like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like this game. Let's do it anonymously though.

Second year - Player A
    291 for 474 (61.4% completion)
    3,451 passing yards
    25 touchdowns
    6 interceptions
    28 sacks

Second year - Player B
    331 for 533 (62.1% completion)
    4,135 passing yards
    26 touchdowns
    15 interceptions
    14 sacks

Second year - Player C
    298 for 527 (56.5% completion)
    3,787 passing yards
    29 touchdowns
    19 interceptions
    14 sacks

Second year - Player D
    355 for 561 (63.2% completion)
    4,278 passing yards
    31 touchdowns
    10 interceptions
    24 sacks

Second year - player E
    302 for 471 (64.1% completion)
    3,227 passing yards
    18 touchdowns
    13 interceptions
    34 sacks

Second Year - Player F
    315 for 499 (63.1% completion)
    3,613 passing yards
    21 touchdowns
    12 interceptions
    36 sacks

Second year - Player G
    355 for 606 (58.6% completion)
    4,428 passing yards
    35 touchdowns
    18 interceptions
    51 sacks

Second Year - Player H
    325 for 499 (65.1% completion)
    4,353 passing yards
    41 touchdowns
    13 interceptions
    29 sacks

Without looking it up, can you spot the Hall of Famers?

7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

G is HoF. Lol. Guessing honestly. Low comp % sacked a million times... the high passing yards concerns me... maybe Manning? Granted not hof yet but you know.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

There was a poster who told me that chances are, Sam Darnold would never become as accurate as "Brady or Brees".

I find that hard to believe when even after quarterbacking behind a historically horrific offensive line Sam Darnold's completion percentage is almost identical to Brady's 2nd year completion percentage and better than that of Drew Brees; QB Rating is right up there with Brady's and better than Brees' too after 2 years.

Sam Darnold is an absolute stud who's still developing behind a makeshift O-Line but after two years he's shown great potential.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He definitely won't ever be as accurate as Brees is. He doesn't play in a dome, either, so that's a huge strike against him.

Brees has finished with a completion percentage above 70% an amazing SIX times. Only 8 other players have done it even ONCE.

There are a million and one reasons as to why any comparison to Brady is silly. Brees as well. Specifically that they have very different play styles.

#9 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Vida likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

its a different era dude. its much easier in the passing game in 2019 than even in 2000 or 2001

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Not for Sam Darnold it isn't. Not when he was without his #2 WR on the outside in Enunwa, without his #1 TE in Herndon, without his #2 TE in Griffin, learning a brand new and completely different offense under Gase and all while quarterbacking behind one of the worst makeshift offensive line disasters within NFL history (not even Le'Veon Bell stood a chance behind that shitfest).

"Much easier" my ass.

He was still a better than QB Brees during his 2nd year and almost identical #s to Brady during Brady's 3rd year (2nd year as starter).

12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Best we can hope for is Woody/Chris stay out of the way and let JD do his job. If he is as good as everyone says then he will build a team around Darnold and then better ( I HOPE) days are ahead. Still not sold on Gase despite the strong finish but hopefully he can be part of the solution and not the problem.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Those FO’s came to be good during those times though. Brees was a charger first and his career wasn’t what anyone thought it would be until he came to NO, Miami’s FO wasn’t anything to follow. The Pats weren’t necessarily a “great” franchise when Bledsoe was there as a meddling QB, it took Belichick to manifest into greatness. Let’s not act like the Saints and Patriots were great franchises like the Steelers and Cowboys when they were initially there.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I almost always disagree with you DWC as you know, but I have to agree this time. Thanks for the stats and the perspective. One other thing to note is that Sam is younger than both (although not much younger than Brees).

A couple of other things:

1. Aside from the terrible OL, he needs a true #1, go to, WR.
    2. Working with Gase and PAtton Oswalt is holding him back, and unless Gase changes, or is fired, will continue to hold him back.
    3. As of right now he's a potential FQB. To become an actual FQB h's going to have to consistently put the team on his shoulders and carry them to victory. Note that in Brady and Bree's 3rd years, no one was calling them FQBs either (eexcept maybe their fans).

I firmly believe that Sam can win a SB with the Jets, but he's going to need more help than he's gotten so far. To consider giving up on him at this point would be the truly dumb thing to do, much worse say than giving up on a 4th year HC with a losing record.

15. Ralebird

[QUOTE="J-Raw24, post: 3898195, member: 23100"]I don't think I have see any Jets fan on here question Sam's potential. We question front office and coaching potential. If Brees and Brady didn't have good front offices and coach (and some cheating for the later) do you think they become what they are today? If a team was not built around them would the next able to have hall of fame careers? If the coach didn't game plan correctly on both side of the ball would they have rings? Darnold can have all the potential in the world (and I think he does) but without weapons, protection, a ST unit that gives him good placement, and D that keep the other o out and gives Sam the ball frequently, he just a kid with potential.[/QUOTE]

The question is not one of potential but whether that potential will be realized. His mechanics do not appear to have improved during the past year. No one person appears to be charged with watching every pass he throws to analyze his footwork and geometry. Why not? Doesn't the team's most important player warrant more than part time attention from Dowell Logains?

Vida and J-Raw24 like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Dowell is too busy making sure the water he fetches isn't infected with mono. ;)

CotcheryFan and J-Raw24 like this.
  17. Ralebird

And he's 12 - 1 at it.

18. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The thing is Brees most likely isn’t the Brees we know today if he stays in SD and doesn’t hook up with Sean Payton.

Sam has the tools and skill set - will the situation the Jets provide for him allow him to flourish or not is the key.

Vida likes this.
  19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Darnold has potential for greatness. He needs a good OL, a real #1 receiver, and either Gase to grow into a good coach or someone else who can fill that role. As it stands he doesn't have the pieces around him. That said, I think his numbers are pretty good considering he had a rough start coming back from mono and his team sucks.

Vida, ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Exactly.

And he's being compared to his contemporaries....so guys like Mahomes, Watson to a degree since they are close in age, Baker/Allen/Jackson trio.

Mahomes has arguably the best weapons in the NFL and an offensive mastermind in Reid in how to utilize it, not to mention a solid offensive line
    Watson lacks the offensive line but has arguably the best WR in the game in Hopkins and Fuller, who when he's on the field, makes Watson an elite QB.
    Baker was great last year, showed some regression...likely due to Kitchens but we will see how he does, he still has the best young RB in the game in Chubb, and OBJ/Landry and a solid offensive line.
    Allen lacks the playmakers but they had a decent Oline and got decent production out of their RB's in Singletary and Gore...jury still out on him.
    Jackson was given a system to fit his needs, excelled with one of the best rushing offenses in the NFL, not to mention a speedster like Brown on the outside and Andrews in the middle of the field.

See what happens when you have weapons and/or the offensive line to excel?

Darnold hasn't had that luxury. He doesn't have elite weapons and he sure as hell doesn't have the offensive line. I do think it's imperative that Douglas keeps the weapons around him that Sam needs like keeping Robby and going out and grabbing another top WR whether in the draft or FA. Then you go and build on this offensive line and make it a strength. Also grab one of these super small scat backs that seem to be the new wave in the short passing game. I like Bell but give me a speedster that can open up the field more.

Vida likes this.