What pick burns you the most?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 17, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe there were 9 other GMs ALMOST as stupid as Mac, BUT did all of them need a QB? No.

The Jets needed a FQB prospect, and there were two highly rated guys right there for them, but Macc decided they needed a Safety more. That's a special kind of stupidity.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

There is no god.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's the ultimate irony that our best pick in recent memory (Adams) was also our worst.

ColoradoContrails and apjbfc like this.
  4. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Should've Would've Could've. Dwelling in the past is not the way to live in the present. I think we all know our past GM's have bee literal garbage.

boozer32, Leicester Jet and Ralebird like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And those 9 teams either already had a QB or were stupid. Just because a lot of people foolishly thought it was a reach, doesn't mean that it was.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I understand all of that. I'm not dumb.

I'm just saying, he was not a can't miss player you needed to trade up for.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I never even thought, much less said that you were dumb. Quite the contrary. I like you and your posts. I'm sorry that you took it that way.

I was just trying to say that I did believe that Mahomes was a can't miss prospect, and can't believe those teams didn't think he was and passed on him. IMO when you need a QB desperately and two 1st round-caliber QBs fall into your lap, you have to take one of them. You don't take a Safety. I loved Jamal Adams then and still like him, but imo the pick had to be Mahomes or Watson.

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Nah it's all good. It was a combo of being quoted twice for the same thing, when I knew that would be said about the post.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Dee Millner Round 1,Gholston Round 1,Stephen Hill Round 2,Hackenberg Round 2,Darron Lee Round 1,Quinton Coples Round 1..There was a bunch of other shit picks during this 10 year stretch another shit 2 reciver whos name i forgot and other firsts and seconds

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I think Gholston is the worst draft pick of all time entire NFL not just the Jets.

For me it would have to be Mark (Buttfumbles) Sanchez because of how the Jets got him and how missing on him set the team back years and how he became a punchline. Tannenbaum pulled off such a great trade to move up to get him in the draft it would've gone down as one of the best draft day trades ever, great team around him.

It was all set up so perfectly and yet he still busted. Heck he didn't even have to be a great QB if they had just sealed the deal after they upset New England in the playoffs that year we could look back at the glory years, reminisce about our championship run but alas here we are 2020 still no Super Bowl appearance, no Lombardi trophy, almost a decade without a playoffs appearance and talk of yet another rebuild and I have to wonder if the Jets have enough brain cells to realize that Robby & Adams should be a part of the future.

*sigh*

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Ironically Mahomes is about the only player I would trade Adams for.

Look on the bright side KC traded up with Buffalo to get Mahomes he could've been in Buffalo now.

The book is still being written it depends on how Darnold develops and what the team accomplishes with him as the starter. Right now Mahomes is ahead by far but sometimes things have a funny way of turning. Who knows? In the end the combo of Adams-Darnold could lead the Jets to a championship or two or three.

Time will tell.

#31 WarriorRB28, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  12. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Every pick after Darnold that wasn't offensive line talent. Except maybe Blessuan... and the verdict is still out on Edoga. Kid is getting killed because Macidiot thought it was ok to ignore the line.

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

really too many to count---we all know Blair Thomas and Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp,,,,,,trying to sell us on Hackenberg when most of us knew he was crap,,,,,,,god they are racing thru my mind right now Obrien over Marino,,,,,,but I have to go with Gholston as this guy might have knocked Blair Thomas off the pedestal

Fiftynine likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Actually second round QB's usually turn into backups. Not that teams don't take them with the hope they'll be a franchise guy but they usually don't turn into that guy.

Hackenberg was a 6th or 7th round pick that we took way too early because Maccagnan fell in love with him due to his relationship with Bill O'Brien. O'Brien was Hackenberg's recruiter and freshman coach at Penn State and of course was the Houston Texan's head coach in 2014 when Maccagnan worked in the scouting department there. Hackenberg was probably on O'Brien's "watch closely" list when he arrived in Houston. That would have gotten communicated to the scouting department at some point.

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Gholston
    DeWayne Robertson
    Calvin Pryor

Br4d and CBG like this.
  16. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The second round always bugs me more then the first round...there's always skill position players that drop that even casuals college football fans can pick out that have star potential that we always pass on...Keenan Allen, Dalvin Cook, DK Metcalf, Jarvis Laundry, this list goes on.

FJF likes this.
  17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Devin Smith and Hackenburg.

Hitting on 2nd rounders is just as important as hitting on your first, and the Jets throw them away on useless players and projects regularly.

I was one of the few on these boards outraged on the Smith pick while so many here defended it like he was going to be Randy Moss.

Obviously there is a boat load of crappy picks over the years, these 2 stick out in recent years where I was literally cursing when the pick was announced.

J-Raw24 and JetsNation06 like this.
  18. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

What bugs me more is people thinking if we drafted Mahomes that he would resemble anything like the QB he has become in the situation he was placed in at KC.

It is way more likely that he would look quite pedestrian on the Jets than a QB people thinking as HOF caliber.

FJF likes this.
  19. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I think that's true about guys like Jackson or Watson Mahomes is next level carry a bad team into the playoffs good.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What bugs me is people who keep saying how Mahomes wouldn't be doing what he's done for KC if he were here. Well, DUH! Namath, Marino, Elway, Manning, Brady, Rodgers, or any otheer HOF QB you want to name wouldn't do what they did here - but I'm willing to bet they'd still done great. And Mahomes sure as shit would be doing better than anyone else, including Darnold and I like Sam but he is no Patrick Mahomes. Maybe if the "pedestrian" you're talking about is named Clark Kent, okay. The guy is a freak and it was obvious even in college. Yes he has amazing arm strength, though maybe not as strong as Josh Allen, but he has great accuracy from the pocket and especially on the move, and he can even throw left-handed. Aside from his physical abilities he shows an uncanny knack for making plays. And his father was a successful pitcher in the majors. Why is that last point relevant? Because he grew up seeing first hand what it takes to be a pro, and of course there's the genetic aspect.

It was a monumental mistake to have passed on him.