Jasaon Garrett named Giants OC

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

He will play against Cowboys twice a year. NFC East will be interesting.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I started to laugh and then remembered I'd still take him over Gase. :eek:

3. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Jasaon Garrett the OC is an excellent signing by the Giants. Now Jason Garret the head coach, is another story...

MJK likes this.
  4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Great hire by the Giants.

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The Cowboys offense suddenly got good in 2006 (the year before Garrett got there) when Romo became the starter. In Garrett's first year as OC they were #2 in the league, but after that they were #18 and #14, so I don't see any argument that he was so great in developing Romo. They were back up to #7 in 2010, but Garrett was named head coach halfway through the season, so it's hard to know how much he was involved. They didn't have an OC in 2011 and finished #11, then hired Bill Callahan and finished #6, #16, and #7, respectively, the next three years.

In other words, I see no particular evidence that he added much of anything to the Dallas offense, or cost much of anything either. Just as is the case for his tenure as head coach I think it's about the talent, not him. He is adequate, but not any more than that. He can obviously step in as interim HC if Joe Judge completely craps the bed, adding to my impression that this is a very bland and conservative choice. I think Gettleman wasn't going to do anything bold that could turn against him given that he's already on very thin ice and the Judge hiring could end up being completely disastrous.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Judge hiring is terrible. Garrett choice is terrible as well. I firmly believe if Jets can build an offensive line Jets will head to playoffs regularly while Giants become a circus.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The Giants circus left town when they traded Beckham, got rid of Mccadoo, and Eli retired...it's mostly the media trying to keep that narrative alive I think Gettlman, Judge, and Garrett are all solid hires and they are building from the ground up with solid young pieces they have drafted over the past 2 years.

8. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I don't really know how the Giants will work out. Garrett was a decent oc. Judge will at the very least bring discipline in. Gentleman I have more concerns about. But I am hopeful the Jets do better. We just need to build around Darnold.

9. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

At least they have a replacement ready in-house in case Judge fails as many suspects.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

While I agree that Garrett can be a solid hire, this reeks of a hire where the Giants wanted to hire Garrett as their head coach outright, but were too scared to do so. I think there was a report of that as well.

I also think the Giants put themselves and their young quarterback in a crappy position as Garrett will get offers for head coaching jobs when the regular 6-7 jobs are open. This was an odd ball year with few openings and one of them was replaced instantly. I know you can't really think like that but I'd imagine Garrett is a one and done if they don't promote him next year.

Red Menace and J-Raw24 like this.
  11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Good for the Giants.

They aren't our rival's.

Different divisions.

Completely different conference.

Have never met against each other during a super bowl game.

Before Leonard Williams, the two franchises had never even traded a player with one another, ever.

Etc.

I have nothing against the Giants and never even had enough energy to talk bad about them online.

If anything, I like them. They prevented Brady, Belichick and New England two Super Bowls. More than that, they ended what could have been an undefeated Brady/Moss/Belly/Patriots season that would've went down in history as the greatest football team of All-Time; the Giants saved the NFL or else we'd hear about that Patriots team (that never was) until we all died. Brady would have 8 rings.

That 18-1 SB was the greatest SB I've ever seen. 19-0 would've been tragic.

He'll know how to use a young talented QB in Daniel Jones as he utilized Prescott since day one. And he'll utilize a great talent in Barkley as he did Elliott. Giants don't have a great Offensive line but Garrett was a very good pick-up for Big Blue.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Nice signing for them. Only downside to this signing is if the offense takes off and and someone wants to poach Garrett away from them. That would then force a 3rd offense on Jones.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Did Gettleman pick him or Judge?

14. HomeoftheJets

Judge is HC, Garrett is OC.

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

But did Judge pick Garrett as his OC or did Gettleman?

16. HomeoftheJets

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. I have no idea, wouldn't surprise me if it were Gettleman.