NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Jets need to take the plunge and draft a top WR prospect in the First Round. Thielen and Metcalf showed last week during playoffs how vital a big play receiver is in winning the big games; especially when you have a good arm at the QB position to work with. WR by committee will not cut it for this team. If Jets do not get Darnold a top receiver in the draft, he should demand a trade and stop wasting his career away with this organization.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I think I would take Thomas without even taking a call for trade back. Wirfs probably as well. While I think Jeudy and Lamb will both have good careers, Lamb would be the hardest for me to pass on. The kids has all the tools. That said with the right compensation I would trade back. It wouldn't be easy for sure.

The next 4 month will tell but I don't like any of their "alternate" picks at 11 at this time.

I think Becton is a great day 2 pick but he can go up or down. I don't see him at left tackle, but a very good RT.

Espensa is just another high defensive pick for me. Even if he fit our scheme I'm over the draft defense mentality. Same for Simmons.

Ruggs I absolutely hate the pick without trading back first. Bama is stacked at wr. He's good but he isn't that good. To me he isn't a wr1 at this and doesn't deserve this high of a pick. Can he be a wr2? Maybe but I dont go with that big a maybe in rd 1.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. tubby

tubby Active Member

Not if they worked out a long term deal before the July deadline.

4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me the correct draft order picks for the Jets in each round? Do we get Giants 2nd round or 3rd round?

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

AFAIK, we have a 1st, a 2nd, two 3rds. a 4th, a 5th, and a 6th. We pick 11th in round 1, 16th in round 2(48th overall), 4th(68th) and 15th(79th) in round 3, 14th in round 4(110th), 13th in round 5(141st), and 12th in round 6(172nd). We got the Giants 3rd rounder for Leo.

NYJetsO12, Catfish Billy and J-Raw24 like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Good to hear:

7. J-Raw24

This means Douglas has the scouts motivated. Hoping he starts his own version of the 20/20 club. Get every bit of info you can on these prospects.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Thanks for posting.The jets positional needs are the type of prospects you wanna see in person.

You wanna see OL mix it up in 1 on 1 drills,How WRs release out into their routes & how corners handle mirroring/driving on the ball isolated in a live setting.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Thank God he officially declared, I saw a report saying nobody knew what his decision was and I got nervous he might stay.

It really doesn't make sense for players to stay if they get a 1st or 2nd round grade, unless they want to play to win a national title.

NCJetsfan, FJF and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. J-Raw24

Or get their degree. Or refine their skills. There is questions if he can be and LT or not. He could prove those wrong.. either way I'm glad he declared and hope he falls to us if Thomas doesn't.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NYJFOREVER

The degree reason is BS. The money they’d make off the interest on their rookie deal can pay for their final year of school 10 fold.

Refining their skills sure, but if you’re a top 64 pick then you’re almost guaranteed a couple years in the NFL to refine your skills.

I’m not sure what position he’ll be playing in the NFL, but I know he’ll be in the league a long time and I could care less if he plays guard, LT, or RT. Wirfs is an upgrade at any of those positions.

joe likes this.
  12. IDK.To be fair i havent watched much of his film but if im taking an OL top 15 i better have a good idea of where hes gonna play.Which side of the line is one thing.but not knowing if hes G or OT is another.

Historically Iowa OL have been much more effective as Guards than OT.They are phone booth warriors through & through. Not many Guards taken that high have had a great return on investment.

If hes a OT thats one thing.But if hes a guard w a big “?” I dint think he belongs mentioned among the likes of Thomas/Lamb/Jeudy, etc

J-Raw24 likes this.
  13. J-Raw24

Other O line have returned already this season for exactly those reasons. Also Wirfs mom wanted him to finish his degree. I would assume it isn't easy to study and get a good degree while playing in the nfl. Also if you add in distractions it become that much harder. Some can do it. Brick did. But not everyone can accomplish it.
    And if he returned he could refine his skills which would push his stock even higher. A top 5 pick makes more than the guy picked at 11.. A few extra million is nice.

14. NYJFOREVER

From what I’ve been reading, draft “experts” have been saying he projects to be a guard in the NFL.

I’m more excited for this because I think he goes before us at 11, which just means the Jets have a greater chance of landing someone like Jeudy or Lamb (Please God let this happen)

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert at picking OL by any stretch of the imagination, but with his athleticism and movement skills, I can't see any way that he wouldn't be able to play OT at a high level in the NFL. I haven't seen enough tape on him, but what I have seen leaves me scratching my head why the "experts" would be projecting him as an OG.

16. J-Raw24

Most scouting report say he's a guard as Kurt said but I think it's up in the air. I think he will be a good o line. But if I draft a guard top 10 I'm looking at Nelson and comparing. Not sure he's at that level of guard... If he can play tackle that changes it. I'm not sure he can hence why I said I would understand him going back for a year. To prove it. But that said he could slip out of top 10 and I wouldn't be surprised or dislike the thought of him at 11. Key there would be hopefully we already have Beachum resigned, and another lineman from fa.

17. I just watched Wirfs game against Wisconsin. I think hes more of a Tackle than a guard bc he doesnt have great natural pad level/leverage you wanna see inside.

Hes got a really nice get off, pretty fluid in space & can sink his hips.

I’d like to see a better kick step against inside rushes, better anchor in pass pro & his balance is only so-so. Most of this can be improved.

My gut says more of a late first round Between 20-25 guy than a top 15

J-Raw24 likes this.
  18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ This. The "degree reason" is as you said BS and also a built-in 'mulligan' for would-be draftniks *(case in point: the slightly overrated Humphries (C, Okla.) over Biadasz (Wisc.)*. As for Wirfs, I myself wouldn't be admitting to not seeing much much of him to begin with and then in the next breath declaring "this, this, and that" about where he's going to be earmarked for position-wise.

Speaking of Iowa OT's, going into last year, LT Alaric Jackson was a highly-ranked 2020 draft prospect in terms of positional rankings. Came the 2019 season, Iowa offense including their OL hit a mid-season offense slump and hit a low point during the 2nd half of the Michigan game in which Alaric Jackson pretty much spit the bit. Wirfs had his worsgt game the season as well *jittery false start penalties* but at the end of the day, i.e. at the end of the season, while Alaric Jackson's dropped through the 30's, 40's and 50's rankings-wise, Wirfs remained steady and even upped his ranking as the season closed out. I could window-dress a Wirfs-blurb with scout jargon (punch, pad level, burst, anchor, fluid hips....and my favorite, combining "cerebral" and "high football I.Q.), but no need. The eye test bears out the man's skill set athletically and technically. Outside of skeletons appearing outta nowhere in his closet, if this guy's not drafted in the top 15 I'll eat my hat.

#518 joe, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  19. Edit.Delete

#519 KurtTheJetsFan, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2020
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Anyone have any thoughts on Cesar Ruiz? I think there was some surprise that he declared from Michigan. I didn't even pay attention when watching Michigan because I didn't think of it.

He and his two guard counterparts are now all going into the draft.