Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

jilozzo and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It’s a shame but he has nobody to blame but himself. But all of this is window dressing for MLB if they don’t vacate the 17 and 18 WS titles.

Red Menace and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I agree

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

He gets no sympathy from me, just as Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, and Rose get no sympathy from me.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I find it incredible that these guys are in the majors for so long and still don’t apply what great hitters from the past used to make them successful.

I use to hear the great hitters explain their approach at the plate, “always wind up for the fastball and adjust to everything else that is not”, reason being, “you can always slow down your hands and the bat, but you can’t speed them up”

These guys deserve everything they are getting, the only thing left is give the Dodgers the WS trophy.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Enjoy

JetBlue likes this.
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Two of them. Baseball is nearly impossible to repeat in and they were robbed of a historic accomplishment. Maybe the Yankees would have beaten them one of the years but we will never know. All we know is they lost to two teams that cheated and they should be awarded the titles for that alone. And I hate the Dodgers for 1988, so I’m not biased for them.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

The steroid issues has me torn about things like vacating championships. I mean are Yankees, for example, giving back titles with all the steroid users they had? I think certain players and fan bases don't have too much room to act sanctimonious. My mind is open as to why that isn't a fair comparison?

MLB is so wrong by not punishing the active players over this though. For them to just get off with a little embarrassment doesn't sit right with me.

The Beltran news doesn't surprise me. I knew one side or both would give in. The pressure was starting to mount. Cheating in sports is just such a no go for me. So if I'm being honest as soon as I saw his part in this I was over him.

Red Menace and JetBlue like this.
  9. NYGalPal

Terry Collins is trending with Mets fans wanting him back. I like Terry but I don't have an interest in seeing that movie again.

stinkyB, JetBlue and Red Menace like this.
  10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think the PED comparison is perfectly fair, and people like CC Sabathia and Mark Teixeira really should shut their mouths (we're supposed to believe A-Rod was off the roids in 2009 just because he says so?). Amazingly enough Francesa is completely right about this.

Suspending active players isn't unreasonable, but the problem is where do you stop? Are you going to suspend every player who was at bat when a trash can was banged? That might be everyone.

Collins might be honest, but I've never thought he was much of a manager. Of course he was way better than that idiot Callaway.

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

geez baseball is getting to be as corrupt as DC

stinkyB likes this.
  12. NYGalPal

I feel like the same stuff be happening in say NFL for example but for some reason that isn’t scrutinize to the degree it is in baseball. If Bill Belichick was an MLB manager he would of been out of the league by now and no Hall of Fame for him.

13. NYGalPal

I’m actually calm! If Beltran had a MLB manger Resume that was proven to be good I’d probably be less so. However, we don’t know whether or not he would have been any good, and it’s only January.

JetBlue likes this.
  14. dawinner127

He should have been tossed from the league after the Spy Gate fiasco. They literally went Watergate/Nixon and destroyed all of the tapes for that. MLB is trying to follow suit and just keep hush and hope it goes away. In this day an age with social media (Twitter primarily) that will be impossible.

NYGalPal likes this.
  15. dawinner127

So Marte gets dished to the D Backs for literally nothing. Two Single A prospects. Now rumblings about the Padres being super interested in Mookie Betts. I know it was a long shot, but I really wanted us to be in on that Betts sweepstakes. I doubt we resign Thor so I would use him as the main cog of the deal and throw in any combination of Dom Smith/Nimmo/Conforto.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I could live with Thor and either Nimmo or Dom but wouldn’t do Thor & Conforto.

Ideally Mookie won’t get traded this year though and Mets will be major players in FA with Cohen cash kicking in.

17. dawinner127

I could totally see them trading him this year rather than just letting him walk in the offseason for nothing. He only has a 1 year $27million contract.

18. dawinner127

From a local Boston radio show -- Red Sox offered Betts 10 for 300 and Betts countered with 12 for 420. He isn't getting anywhere near 400.

19. NYGalPal

Reports are popping out that the Cohen deal might not happen.

Whole thing has been weird from the start. Like if you’re going to sell the team, sell the team. You can tell they don’t truly want to.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/04/billionaire-steve-cohens-bid-to-buy-mets-is-on-life-support/

Steve Cohen’s $2.6 billion bid to buy the Mets is on life support — if alive at all.

Multiple sources close to the situation are confirming that the billionaire hedge fund manageris ending negotiations with the Wilpons on his purchase of an 80 percent stake in the franchise. According to those sources, Cohen is deeply unhappy with the Wilpons changing the terms of the deal at a very late stage and has decided to walk away.

When rumors broke that the Cohen deal was dead on Tuesday, the Mets offered a strangely worded non-denial: “The parties are subject to confidentiality obligations, including a mutual non-disclosure agreement, and therefore cannot comment.”

Sources close to Cohen tell The Post that the 63-year-old, $13 billion man is holding his tongue for the time being.

Up until midday Tuesday, it appeared the deal was progressing quite well. At MLB’s winter meetings in December, commissioner Rob Manfred indicated he was satisfied with how Fred Wilpon and fellow owner Saul Katz were proceeding on the sale. But even at the time, the massive sale was reportedly structured in a way that could be politely described as unique.

SEE ALSO
    Mets fans panicking with billionaire's deal to buy team in jeopardy
    Wilpon would remain as control person and CEO for five years. Team COO Jeff Wilpon, Fred’s son, would continue in that role for five years. After that period — or during — it was expected that both Wilpons would be removed from the daily operations of the team. The deal also reportedly did not include ownership of the Mets’ regional sports network, SNY.

But sources familiar with the talks said the Wilpons pushed late to maintain some control of the franchise beyond the five-year window. There also appears to have been some disagreement over the long-term status of SNY. Details are murky on the SNY front, but initial reports might have overstated the simplicity of the Wilpons retaining ownership of the network as a separate entity.

Cohen also appeared set to move into life as a baseball owner. In an email to investors in his Point72 hedge fund in December, Cohen wrote, “If the deal goes through I expect that my roles at Point72 will not change. Period.” Sources familiar with Point72 have made it clear to The Post over the past weeks that the firm was preparing for Cohen to take on another role running the Mets.

According to a source, Cohen had even been planning an Opening Day gala that would announce his majority ownership in the Mets. Those invitations to guests haven’t been sent, and now it appears they likely won’t be.

If Cohen’s deal does collapse, this would be the second time in less than a decade that a Wilpon deal to sell a large stake in the Mets to a local billionaire hedge fund manager has fallen through. In 2011, the Wilpons tried to tweak a deal with David Einhorn, who similarly balked at the machinations and publicly walked away, accusing the Wilpons of bad faith in the final stages of his deal.

Einhorn went as far as to call out the Wilpons for not honoring the exclusivity agreement in their deal and then lobbying MLB behind his back to reject a clause in the deal that would allow Einhorn to pull his money out if they did not honor their pledge to cede some control of the team to him.

While the deal with Cohen seems perilously close to being dead, one source familiar with Cohen from the hedge fund world cautioned, “This is Steve Cohen, so this might be a negotiation. The Wilpons need this more than he does and no one is going to pay more.”

20. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Please god let the Wilpons go away. I think the team is in a good spot talent wise and bullpen wise but holy shit can these shitty owners of every one of our teams just fade away if not (hate saying it) die? They have brought nothing to the table