Maccagnan’s Legacy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 15, 2020.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

We are ("only") an O-line, a couple of CBs, and WR's away from serious contention, thx to Maccagnan (?). That's all, just nine quality starters away from contention? And you think that is a good job? Uh, okay. (and I would have added two edge rushers to your list too).

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bro quit while you're just a little behind and not in last place. Posts like this are moronic. He assembled horrible rosters. He added two players in 5 years with any staying power. One is a quarterback selected in the top 3 that we'd be riding for the next three years good or bad anyways.

Enough.

Red Menace, NCJetsfan, FJF and 6 others like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

By pretty much any grading standard that takes into account the quality of his teammates (PFF, QBR, DYAR, etc) he's currently below average. Not bad like Geno or Sanchez, just below average. And I don't think he'll ever be elite considering there's pretty much two ways to get there. The first is to have Mahomes or Rodgers-like arm talent which he doesn't have. And the second is to be super accurate and consistent like Brady or Brees, which given his mechanics and behavior under pressure isn't likely to happen. He can improve in those areas and become an above-average starter capable of carrying a mediocre team into the playoffs and winning a SB on a good team, but I don't see him ever winning MVPs and guaranteeing his team a winning record every year.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Liked the Post with 10/11 comments sadly spot on , but just cant deal with Darnold's ceiling as "average"..... triple sigh

5. HomeoftheJets

I said his ceiling is above average, not average. I still think he can be as good as, say, Philip Rivers (who is very good and gets underrated because his team lets him down).

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

To get to above average Darnold needs to increase his passing accuracy and lower his turnover percentage. Everything else flows off of those two categories.

To get to elite? He needs to win a lot of games.

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

You sound, clueless.

You want to use "Tom Brady" as an example? A 20 year veteran? And then talk about accuracy at the same time? O.k. But that's just pretty funny to me.

During Tom Brady's 2nd season as a starter (3rd year) Tom Brady went...

And P.S: When comparing these (similar) statistics please understand and first take note on how Brady had the luxury of an O-Line that was 10x better than Darnold's O-Line of today and a much better head coach too lol.

Tom Brady (2002): 373/601 (62.1%), 3,764 yards (235 yards per game, long of 49 yards), 28 TD's/14 INT's, 31 sacks, 9-7 record (2 4th quarter come from behind wins and 3 game winning drives) along with a QB Rating of 85.7. 25 years old.

Sam Darnold (19'): 273/441 (61.9%), 3,024 yards (232 yards per game), long of 92 yards, 19 TD's/13 INT's, 33 sacks, 7-6 record (2 4th quarter come from behind wins and 3 game winning drives) along with a QB Rating of 84.3. 22 years old.

You see?

Statistically speaking?

Tom Brady himself wasn't even "Tom Brady" in which he developed into (the one you're referring to) while only a 2nd year starter way back when.

Sam Darnold's 2nd year numbers are toe to toe and pound for pound right up there with "Tom Brady's" 2nd year numbers so yes, as I stated earlier; you sound clueless when talking Sam Darnold's production and potential to become greatness.

Brady was 25.
    Darnold is only 22.

Give Darnold another 3 years from today and then we'll talk again lol.

And oh yea. One more thing.

P.S: Drew Brees? You just mentioned, Drew Brees? Too funny. During his 2nd year? No comparison to Sam Darnold, in other words Darnold's 2nd year statistical numbers were better than Brees' 2nd year numbers, genius.

Sam Darnold (19'): 273/441 (61.9%), 3,024 yards (232 yards per game), long of 92 yards, 19 TD's/13 INT's, 33 sacks, 7-6 record (2 4th quarter come from behind wins and 3 game winning drives) along with a QB Rating of 84.3. 22 years old.

Drew Brees: 320/526 (60.8%), 3,284 yards (205 yards per game), long of 52 yards, 17 TD's/16 INT's, 24 sacks, 8-8 record (4 4th quarter come from behind wins and 2 game winning drives) along with a QB Rating of (only) 76.9. 23 years old.

But yea, rigghhhtttt keep on using future Hall of Fame Quarterbacks in "Brady and Brees" as examples to Sam Darnold's "limitations" while being clueless at the same time on how Tom Brady and Drew Brees looked after only their 2nd years starting.

Oh yea, Brees went 2-9 during his 11 starts during his 3rd year of 2003 with SD and judging by the way you're judging Sam Darnold after a whopping two years behind a crap O-Line you'd be one of the San Diego Charger fans back then calling for Brees to be cut in favor of Philip Rivers while comparing a young struggling Brees to previous great one's like Marino and Montana of their prime years.

Don't you dare talk to me about freaking "Drew Brees" before you first go and review his 1st 3 years. Hah.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I would say that honor would go to one Wilbur Ewbank.

NCJetsfan and jilozzo like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

Quarterback statistics from 15-20 years ago aren't comparable to quarterback statistics today. And for every Brady or Brees who starts relatively slow and becomes elite, there are countless others who start slow and don't become elite.

#69 HomeoftheJets, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Vida and Ralebird like this.
  10. Vida

Vida Active Member

This. The 1st round of the draft almost picks itself these days. It's how the later picks turn out that defines a GMs success in my eyes.

ColoradoContrails, tomdeb and jilozzo like this.
  11. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Not really I can name several 1st rounder the jets should have not taken. 1st round is probably the most important to get right. 2nd round as well. And we fail to do so regularly. He got like taking boa 2 times out of 4. First round doesn't pick itself smart GM focus on all 7 rounds and go best player at a position of need, whether that means trading back or forward.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I too forgot about Bradway. You could throw darts and draft better than a Jets GM.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Idzik wasn't thinking. He was absolutely clueless with regards to scouting and talent. I literally think he either had a bunch of players names in a hat and drew one each round or had names on a spinning dartboard and threw a dart to decide who to choose.

tomdeb likes this.
  14. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Or asked other gems who he should take. Guy was horrible

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How could you feel that way? He had little/no experience in scouting and personnel, and his draft set the franchise back at least 5 years, if not a decade. I'm eternally grateful that he never got a chance to spend that FA money. He had the opportunity to sign some very good players, but wimped out and spit the bit. Almost any one of us on this board could have done a better job in the draft and FA than Idzik.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Because I think he had a grasp on how to build a winning team and understood the concept. His execution was obviously horrible.

But he tried to overload important position groups with lower tier players to create competition and push veterans. There was also an emphasis on team culture and the importance of the player interview at the combine along with looking for guys who were captains in college and team leaders. Good character people.

He also managed the cap well and brought in good lower contract players such as trading for Ivory, signing Willie Colon and Dawan Landry and even the larger tier free agent signing in Decker.

He just had zero eye for college talent.

17. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Does Gase get credit for getting rid of Mike Macc?
    Maybe he is a genius after all. Heck he supposedly he didnt want Bell, and look at his season with us...

Just saying... I know it's all Gase fault lol.

rinvesto likes this.
  18. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

I like Coach Gase and I do think he fired Maccagnan. Gase was hired to develop a young QB- and then Maccagnan drafts Williams.

azhar80 likes this.
  19. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

And bringing in Douglas. It's early, but I like what I've seen from Douglas

But just because Gase saw incompetency and engineered Macs exit shrewdly...does not mean he himself will be a competent coach that can grow, adapt, and become a good leader. The only thing known about Gase now is that he's better than Bowles. Not good enough. Because that could mean he's a perpetually middling 7-9 to 9-7 guy

azhar80 likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Actually he was hired to win football games; developing the quarterback was just part of the job. I saw little or no development and insufficient wins. Am I missing something?

ColoradoContrails likes this.