Poll: Which of their own FAs should the Jets re-sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jan 13, 2020.

?

Which of the Jets' FAs should they re-sign?

1. Brian Poole

48 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Robby Anderson

20 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Jordan Jenkins

45 vote(s)
    80.4%
  4. Kelvin Beacham

31 vote(s)
    55.4%
  5. Alex Lewis

28 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Neville Hewitt

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  7. Brandon Shell

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. All of the above

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  9. None of the above

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Brian Poole - 2~3 year contract if affordable
    Robby Anderson - Let him walk. He is screaming money already
    Jordan Jenkins - 2-3 years if affordable
    Kelvin Beacham - 1 year tops
    Trevor Siemian - Should let him walk
    Ty Montgomery - If affordable, maybe
    Ryan Kalil - Shitcan is where he belongs
    Demaryius Thomas - 2 year deal, if affordable.
    Brandon Copeland - 2 year deal if affordable
    Bilal Powell - 1 year deal if affordable
    Lachlan Edwards - 2 year deal if possible
    Brandon Shell - 1 year tops
    Daniel Brown - who? (I know him actually - he received TD pass from Sam once. But then - who?)
    Tom Compton - decent backup. 2 year deal if affordable
    Brent Qvale - Who?
    David Fales - Who?
    Maurice Canady - Who?
    Albert McLellan - Who?
    Paul Worrilow - Who?

James Burgess (RFA) - 2 year deal
    Arthur Maulet (RFA) - 2 year deal
    Sam Ficken (ERFA) - 2 year deal
    Josh Malone (ERFA) - I'm not his biggest fan.
    Frankie Luvu (ERFA) - 2 year deal.
    Leo Koloamatangi (ERFA) - Who?
    AJ Bello (ERFA) - Who?
    Bennett Jackson (ERFA) - Who?

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

We could hit 10 I think... Tyrell Williams and Randall Cobb both fit the bill. Cobb definitely had a better season this year, and Tyrell broke a 1000 last year on the chargers.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This place has a tendency to overrate our own players. I admit, I'm guilty of it sometimes. Robby has done well for a UDFA, but he's still a high end #3/low end #2 WR.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

While I agree with that first part, Robby is a legit #2.

Imagesrdecieving and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. J-Raw24

I don't disagree that Robbie is a #2. But he's not even a top 10 #2. He shouldn't get paid more than the 10+ that are better than him.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I let Anderson walk, had enough of him, not worth the money, Jordan Jenkins, Poole, Hewitt, Beachum, Lewis should stay.....shootbrandonshellintothesun

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I don't disagree at all, but I'm fairly sure he's going to get significantly more than 10 given the lack of alternatives that will be available in FA. The question for the Jets is at what point does his his cost value begin to exceed the roster value he brings. And then of course you have to factor in the relative values of replacement if he signs elsewhere and other moves. For instance, if Robby is paired with a high round draft pick, the combined cost of the two becomes manageable and you have a position group well set for 2/3 years for your young QB. That makes a lot of sense to me and would increase his value to me and therefore how much I might pay. I think it's too simplistic to set a value of X and say that's a player's value.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed. His value to the Jets far exceeds his actual value as a player. In a vacuum he's not worth more than $10 million a year. I don't even think he's that good of a receiver. But when you factor in market alternatives and continuity for the young quarterback, we really should try to sign him.

The franchise tag total is ridiculously high, but he's actually a good candidate for it if he's adamant about testing the market. Let him get rich in one year, but not enough to the point where he can slack off as so many Jets have done. He's still playing for the next contract.

Then we make no long term commitment while buying ourselves another year to figure out receiver through the draft and lower tier free agents (ala Keelan Cole, Geronimo Allison, etc.).

I've been the harshest on Robby A. But I also think we need to prevent a Sanchez situation where we change over all his weapons because we want to save money to sign free agent corners and edge rushers.

NCJetsfan and MoWilkBeast like this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The bolded cannot be stated enough. The Jets have next to no talent on the offensive side in the ball under contract for 2020. They have Crowder and LeVeon Bell, that's it.

The drafting over the last 10+ years has been abysmal and left the Jets with nothing. The Jets are in a position where they can't let what little talent they do have left, walk away. They cannot do to Sam what they did to Sanchez. I don't think Robby is worth the 14-15 he's going to command, but that's what happens when you don't draft an offensive skill player in the first round since 2001.

Pay Robby, front load the GTD, and be done with it.

10. Wouldnt pay Anderson anything near his asking price to be honest.But would make him a competitive offer which would be as the highest paid #3 WR in the NFL.He only runs 3 routes & has an inconsistent tracking deep;Not one of the Jets QBs or OCs have been able to get his timing down on deep balls & thats bc its a complete wildcard. Hes also not the safest bet off the field.That said they let him walk WR becomes a much bigger priority.Dead even w OL. Sam’s gotta have playmakers on the outside of any kind.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  11. J-Raw24

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-25-nfl-free-agents-of-2020-no-shortage-of-in
    Robbie isn't on the list. Granted I'm not a Rosenthal fan but still. Not even an honorable mention. I think I offer him 12 per. He doesn't agree I move on. We have just over 63 million I think. After cuts that goes up... we need to resign or sign 5 o line. 2 wide receivers, a cb, and 2 olb. We also need depth almost everywhere. Not way I franchise or pay what he wants. He is not worth 1/5 - 1/4 of available funds.

12. NYJFOREVER

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-best-available-nfl-free-agents-in-2020

One article has him ranked outside the top 25, while another on PFF has him ranked 11. FA rankings is subjective.

Robby Anderson has put up better numbers than Tyrell Williams who signed a 4 year, 44M deal with 22M guaranteed. I figure he's going to get someone around 13M a year, which in my mind is worth it on a talent deficient roster.

13. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

This is spot on.

There's two scenarios:

1. We draft Lamb/Jeudy with our top pick in which case it makes sense to sign Robbie at a slightly inflated figure

2. We don't draft Lamb/Jeudy in which case it becomes a desperate need to sign Robbie at a slightly inflated number.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. J-Raw24

Better number than Williams? Not look again... Will had broke 1000 yards. Robbie every done that? Other than that the careers are pretty similar. 700ish yard per year. Nothing special.

15. NYJFOREVER

Robby has also had to play with backup QBs for half his career, Tyrell Williams played with Philip Rivers.

From 2017-2019:

Robby Anderson played 27 games with a starting QB. Over those 27 games he's had 62.1 yard per game, which is more than Tyrell Williams had in any of the last 3 years. He had 104 catches, 1678 yards, and 14 touchdowns. 16 game pace with a starting QB is 62 catches, 994 yards, and 8 touchdowns. Not world beating, but it's better than Tyrell Williams.

Yes, you can call that cherry picking, but you can't tell me that playing with Bryce Petty and Luke Falk didn't drastically impact his production.

FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  16. J-Raw24

When Robbie has better numbers he can be a better wr. So far he hasn't been. He had Darnold for 2 years and still hasn't been as good. Williams played wr2 last year while Kennan Allen was hurt. Played very well with an aging bad Rivers who was probably as bad as Darnold. I can make excuses for half the league. When Robbie proves it he will worth the money until be worth less than these players

17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I can't take that list seriously when they have AJ Green ranked #6 when he didn't play a down in 2019 & missed a good part of 2018. I know what he once WAS but it's now 2020 no guarantees with him. In 2020 he's a player you take a flier on and hope he still has some juice left in the tank not a player you break the bank on that's frickin' crazy!

Robby Anderson will be the top free agent WR available which is why if you're the Jets you use the franchise tag on him if they can't get him signed before free agency begins.

And they could still bring in AJ Green for a looksee too.:)

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Indeed!

Jordan Jenkins is a very good linebacker, but some on here think he's Mo Lewis.
    The guy is about 3.5 steps too slow to be a true pass rushing force. He is more Bryan Thomas than Mo Lewis. He plays with good situational awareness, but his sack stats are not reflective of his pass rushing prowess.
    Again, he's a very good player and an asset--but the Jets should only consider bringing him back at run-stuffer/edge setter pay. If another team is willing to pay him sack artist pay, the Jets should wish him well.