The Jet Model

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 14, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with this except Q. Williams his biggest mistake. That "honor" goes to his idiotic passing over Mahomes and Watson when he needed a FQB. ANd that led to him having to burn those 3 high picks to try and make up for it. If the Jets had owners that had a clue about what it takes to win, they would've fired Macc on the spot before he even got to make his second pick.

2. ColoradoContrails

It's both.

Vida likes this.
  3. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

I don't look at the QB situation because it was eventually fixed. Although you can take your argument, add in Hackenberg and Petty and say his true biggest mistake was the overall handling of the QB position.

Vida likes this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

First off, welcome to the board. Secondly, I disagree about the offensive line. Yes, it is important but not as important as some other areas. As good as Ferguson and Mangold were, there was no championship with them. In fact there was one point where the Jets had 5 first rounders on the OL and still no championship. By illustration, take the 2015 Dallas Cowboys who everyone said had the best OL in football. The team was 3-1 when Tony Romo went down for the season. After that, the "best OL in football" could manage only 1 more win for the season behind three different (mediocre at best) QB's. This is pretty clear evidence that QB's are paramount in determining the success of teams. Next you need to give the QB's weapons. The great QB's, running backs and receivers didn't become great because they played behind good OL's. They are great because they had the talent to be great despite whatever OL's they played behind. The Jets need offensive playmakers more than O lineman at this point. It's time the Jets management woke up to the fact that it's the teams that can put points on the board that win consistently in the NFL, and without consistent winning there is little chance of a championship.

5. westiedog1

It's a good question. I've always been of the opinion that good defense can be taught. Yes, we've seen it this year with Williams, but have also seen it with Parcells and Belichick. A good coach can take a bunch of unknowns and get them to play good defense; but I don't think the same is true of the offense. For good offense you need talent.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yea but it takes two to tango... or so they say

if no one wanted to trade up then he couldn't have traded it. It is actually possible in that draft considering there were no good QBs that had people clamoring to trade up for.

7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You nailed it. The league is begging teams to score and here we have the Jets stuck in the 70's thinking of reviving the Steel Curtain defense.

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

The best team we had the last 25 years, 1998, we had Fabini-Jenkins-Mawae-Thomas-Elliott. no coincedence

BrowningNagle and boozer32 like this.
  9. 98 was Elliott-Burger-Mawae-O’dwyer-Fabini

Thomas & Jenkins did not come into the fold till 99.

The 98 team had a good OL but certainly not the franchise’s best;Perhaps not even top 5 in team history. What the team had was a legit passing attack w actual weapons & C Mart to close out games

The key is balance.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. westiedog1

The problem with relying on running the ball is it's a lot tougher to come from behind late in a game if all you can do is run the ball, and it's easier for a defense to stop a running game if they want to. I love a good running game as much as anyone. Martin, Jordan (one of my favorites), Jones (a great pickup), Washington, Greene were all fun to watch, but like it or not, passing is what gets you the Lombardi Trophy in today's game.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

12. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I'd laugh if the engine ran. Then it would be the jets model. The engine being Darnold.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That remains TBD.

14. ColoradoContrails

We don't yet know that it's fixed. Furthermore, it wasn't just missing on Mahomes/Watson, it was that he had to burn 3 high draft picks to get a CHANCE to even draft a potential FQB, and it was through no ability on his part that Darnold fell to him.

boozer32 and J-Raw24 like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

This is a GREAT point! I've said for years that the reason it's so hard to build offenses - and therefore the reason many teams focus on drafting "D" - is because it's harder to identify skill talent. To look at it another way, it's easier to disrupt an offense than it is to build the cohesion needed for a high level offense. And this inability to accurately assess offensive talent is why draft assessors overrate defensive players over offensive players.

To further prove this, it's inarguable that QBs are THE most important and impactful position on a team, and yet every year the consensus BPA tends to be a defensive player. The greatest defensive player in history (pick one) never had the impact of the best QBs.

This is what has been so maddening about the Jets insistence on trying to build an "impregnable defense" all these years, made worse by the fact that NFL has been transforming to an offense-oriented league. Talk about being ass-backwards! And while I'm happy Macc is gone, I'm not sure the Jets have abandoned their defense-first thinking even now - I'll believe it when Douglas makes the 1st pick an OL or WR.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I think it's not completely accurate. You still need talent in you secondary and run stoppers. Even the Patriots know that. They have had good secondary and run stoppers every year. Look at the safeties and linebackers they have had. They usually have at least one good d lineman. You don't need several like you do on offense , but you still need it. The rest can be average or above average. But the coach can scheme with that.

17. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

I agree on most parts but disagree related to the draft and defensive player being the BPA. Using your prior point- defense is easier and there are just more better defensive players than QBs. Think about it- almost every year one elite hall of fame defensive player will come from the draft. This is not the case with QBs and sometimes they come in bunches. I think the the BPA analysis comes from the fact elite defenders are easier to find.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. boozer32

Maccagnan never got that memo.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  19. boozer32

Maybe but when you go that route every single year it does not balance your team. Especially when there is an elite talent to be drafted. Your telling me you would rather have an elite defensive player than Patrick Mahomes? This league you have to score some points. There are no elite defenses these days but look at KC look at SF. Now that may be a cheap shot by me picking the year Mahomes came out because we got Adams in that draft. The Jets could have done so much better under Maccagnan. It's pivotal that they address some OL talent because they really tried the cheap off the street route way too long.

tomdeb, Vida and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that line made a traditionally average QB like Vinny Testaverde look great.

FJF likes this.