Maccagnan’s Legacy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 15, 2020.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

MacIdiot was IMO the worst GM in football ever. Terrible drafts, terrible contracts. And, as you said, Idzik got a job with the jags right after being fired, no one goes near MacIdiot. And, I truly believe, Mike MacIdiot does not understand BASIC concepts of football. He could have gotten a haul of picks for the #3 slot last year, but instead he takes ANOTHER interior lineman when he knows or should know the jets play primarily a 3-4 defense. WTF??? In a 3-4 your DL are NOT the stars, they are the grunts like Foley who are supposed to occupy blockers. The #3 pick in the whole draft for that? Stupid! Look at MacIdiot's 2017 draft--4 DBs and 3 receivers in ONE draft? The game is not played exclusively outside the numbers. 5 MacIdiot drafts with the jets and he selects a grand total of 3 OL--2 in round 5 and 1 in late round 3?? The OL requires the most players per snap, but Mike MacIdiot does not comprehend the simplest of concepts. How did he keep that job so long???? No wonder no one has hired him!

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Cousins probably would have been a disaster here. But before ragging on him too much, I just want to see a Jets QB come close to matching his production.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LMAO

Who hired the 3 Stooges? Idzik Mac and Bowles???

The Johnsons have sabotaged this Franchise big time and dumbed it down further extending MM and Toilet Bowles

The Punishment didn't stop...

boozer32, Vida, Brook! and 5 others like this.
  4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Mac has the dubious honor of setting the franchise backwards more than any other GM (IMO) AND potentially drafting the main piece that might eventually win them a SB - weird...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I stopped reading after you said he was the worst GM ever LOL

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Oh, Terry Bradway! How could I ever forget that moron!

Two 1st round picks for *gulp!* Dslob!
    Trading out of the 1st just to pick *Gulp!* a fucking kicker and a fringe TE (Mike Nugent AND Doug Jolley) What the fuck was he thinking?

And of course, we shouldn't forget the magnificent Mike Tannenbaum.

======================================================

Jets GMs have been, historically, incompetent. Magic Mike is but one more moron on the long, illustrious list of complete morons impersonating a GM.

boozer32, Brook!, dmw and 1 other person like this.
  7. i laughed like a 12 year old bully at Dexter Mcdoodoo which he was & the pick was.

I break the difference down like this: Idzik had a better understanding of how to build a roster positionally..really all position groups were given ample bodies in the draft .But his evaluation skills were basically to appoint Terry “caca” Bradshaw in charge of the draft board/evaluations.

Macagnan had no clue from an architecture perspective.He ignored OL & seemed clueless on building an offense around Darnold from a draft perspective.The Nathan Sheppard pick is one of the most maddening of all time for me. That said he was a C- evaluator compared to Idziks D-/F.

Edit:This may sound crazy but Idzik might have actually worked long term w. a better evaluator & scouting Dept than Caca & Co. He managed the cap welll,stocked the team w oodles of draft capitol & his architecture was in the right place.The execution on the drafts were just beyond putrid.Delegating that portion was never the problem it was WHO.

#27 KurtTheJetsFan, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2020
    NYJFOREVER, Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I always felt like Idzik got it. I was way against the billboards back in the day for his firing. I really wanted to see what he would've done with all that free agency money he'd been saving.

On the flip side, what was discouraging on his side was that most of those players from 2014 were pretty much instantly out of the league except for Dozier.

You just want to scream at the TV because the selections would've just been ten times better if he literally read the draft sites online.

Forget hitting homeruns on picks. Can you imagine how differently the franchise would look if we took Jarvis Landry in the second that year and Gabe Jackson or Brandon Linder in the 3rd? Just pulled two 5 year starters?

#28 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If we win a SB with Sam it’s because so evict else will have built an entire team around him. That’s who I’ll credit.

Vida, Brook!, tomdeb and 1 other person like this.
  10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Honestly I think Maccagnan will be most remembered ten years from now as the stooge who got fired by Adam freaking Gase.

11. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Not to mention trading up didn't guarantee us Darnold at all. We lucked out in both Cousins not taking Macc's blank check, and the Browns taking Mayfield while Gettleman still thought it was 1990 building around a franchise back. Maccagnan got Darnold almost totally in spite of himself.

Vida, tomdeb, dmw and 2 others like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Idzik was terrible at drafting. Then again (looking at each GMs first two draft classes):

Idzik's 2013: Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Geno Smith, Brian Winters, Oday Aboushi, William Campbell, Tommy Bohanon
    Idzik's 2014: Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro, Dexter McDougle, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, Dakota Dozier, Jeremiah George, Brandon Dixon, Quincy Enunwa, IK Enemkpali, Tajh Boyd, Trevor Reilly
    Mac's 2015: Leonard Williams, Devin Smith, Lorenzo Mauldin, Bryce Petty, Jarvis Harrison, Deon Simon
    Mac's 2016: Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, Jordan Jenkins, Juston Burris, Brandon Shell, Lac Edwards, Charone Peake

The bolded players are still Jets. Each GM got one Pro Bowl D-lineman, but both of them flamed out before the end of their rookie deals. Each GM also took a 2nd round QB bust; one wasn't a starting-caliber QB, the other wasn't an NFL-caliber QB. Idzik had more picks than Mac, but that's because he traded for those picks.

Ultimately, these four draft classes look equally bad. Looking at the rest of Mac's classes: he landed Jamal Adams (elite) the following year, but he passed on Mahomes (elite) and Watson (one tier below elite) to pick Adams. Then he got Darnold, who has the potential to be a franchise QB, but it isn't certain he'll become one. As far as other Mac picks who have made an impact: Maye is a good safety, and Herndon had a great rookie year but a nonexistent second year. That's about it; Q Williams has potential but didn't produce as a rookie.

So would Idzik have drafted better than Mac from 2015-2019 had he been allowed to stay? I honestly don't know.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The one thing I'll never understand about both Idzik and Mac is how they completely let the offensive line fall apart...the team was built around two all pro lineman who were clearly getting old and needed to be replaced and I feel like I've been screaming about it for 6 years...this shit wasn't rocket science.

Vida, ColoradoContrails, dmw and 2 others like this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nope, Maccagnan deserves no such honor. Remember we went into tank mode just to get Darnold. Also, remember there are two QB in the playoff this year that Maccagnan could have had free and clear no trade up in Watson and Mahomes. He saddled the Jets with another BPA defensive lineman on the way out the door. Initially, I was a fan of the hire because he came with a scouting background. The Jets needed that after the bean counter Tannenbaum was exposed.

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Adams is a HOF talent.

Robby Anderson is one of the top deep threats in the sport.

I have Adams & Robby ranked as the two best, most impactful players currently on the Jets. Darnold has a chance to be #1 if he becomes what we all hope.

A lot depends on Darnold and what the Jets ultimately do with Adams & Robby contracts-wise.

MacCagnan's overall record here wasn't good but if those three are retained and help lead the Jets to a Super Bowl down the road MacCagnan wil have played a big part in it and I will not forget that.

#35 WarriorRB28, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Maybe yes..

The Jets are keeping Darnold for sure, but we dont know what plans JD has for Adams and Anderson

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

The perfect post :)

dmw and tomdeb like this.
  18. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

As good as Darnold and Adams are becoming...

You could argue there were better way to build...

In 2017 - #1 need was qb, He should have selected Mahomes instead of Adams. Even McCaffrey could be argued as a better pick.

He also took 2 Wr’s - stewart and hanson in rounds 3+4... this 2017 draft was ultra deep at Wr/Rb’s many 1000 yard+... inexcusable to miss as most teams hit on one/other/both in this same draft.

I actually really like Darnold, but only if the Jets protect him + give him real starters to work with.
    Right now 1/3 of the offense is composed of guys who would be 2nd stringers on other teams, 1/3 are guys who don’t make an NFL roster and 1/3 are maybe avg starters...

The Jets are a shit show as far as talent on offense.

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Macagnan wasn't the worst GM eVeR. Sorry.

He wasn't great, he had clear deficiencies and never seemed to learn from them, continuing to make the same mistakes. He was below the line of OK, but not the worst ever. He brought some cornerstones, but generally whiffed on drafts, ignored the oline, and didn't set us up with sufficient depth.

The biggest head scratcher for me with him was his lack of attention to the OLINE since he came from a background of building lines.

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Mac = wannabe rainman with the day 3 trade downs.

tomdeb likes this.