Maccagnan’s Legacy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 15, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

I am a fan of Darnold and I believe he will lead the Jets to a Super Bowl. Interestingly, after watching the Browns on "Hard Knocks" I was not a fan of John Dorsey. I think the guy is a blowhard and I think he blew it picking Mayfield. Had Darnold played for the Bills this year I think they go to the AFC championship game and when it is all said and done he will be regarded as the best QB to come from that class.

If Adams signs an extension and Darnold does bring a Super Bowl does anyone think MaCagnan would be welcomed into the executive version of the Ring of Honor?

IMO, he was the worst GM in the history of the NFL, but can drafting those two cornerstones eventually give him a Jet legacy he does not deserve? This is why I brought up Dorsey- in the two clear cut cases where Macagnan drafted well it is clear he just drafted the best players to fall to him. Darnold is the result of two mistakes- Dorsey loving Mayfield and Macagnan loving Kirk Cousins- his first choice for a franchise QB.

I hope Macagnan does not get a legacy out of getting lucky.

Section 336, boozer32 and tomdeb like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Without defending mac, he wasn’t the worst gm the jets have ever had let alone the worst ever in the league

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Darnold leads us to a Super Bowl win, Mac will be remembered first and foremost as the GM who drafted him. He'll also be remembered as a screw-up in other areas but he'll be forgiven. On the other hand, if Darnold is a bust (i.e. doesn't make it to a second contract), Mac will be remembered as one of the worst GMs, if not the worst GM, in Jets history.

JetBlue, NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maccagnan might've drafted Sam and Jamal, but he made so many blunders that didn't require hindsight to notice.

1. He neglected the OL, taking one OL before round 5.
    2. He took Hackenberg in round 2 when the general consensus was he should've been a mid to late round pick.
    3. He took a safety when the team needed a QB in 2017 and 2 good prospects were available.
    4. He had to trade three 2nd rounders to move up and get whichever QB the Browns didn't take.
    5. He traded down in the middle and late rounds for some reason.
    6. He took an interior DL with the 3rd pick last year when there was a need for an edge rusher and Allen was there for the taking. If he didn't like Allen, he should've traded down and beefed up the OL.
    7. So far none of his picks have gotten a second contract, which has resulted in us having a lot of cap space, but having to use it on tier 2 and below FA's.
    8. He was way below average at drafting. In rounds 2-5, there are too many bad selections that were clear at the time they were made and are no longer on the team.

If we win a Super Bowl with Sam, Maccagnan will be given some credit for that for better or for worse.

wewantsapp, chandler, dmw and 8 others like this.
  5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The only thing Dumbcagnan should be remembered for is wasting hundreds of millions of dollars and Christian Hackenberg. He set this franchise back years.

I don't give him credit for taking the BPA at #3 and #6 overall. Those are the easy picks. He fucked everything else up. Guy is garbage and we should be happy Gase had his ass fired.

There were reports that Bowles and Macc didn't get along at all and weren't even talking in 2018. There's also a photo of Macc sitting in our draft war room completely by himself in last year's draft presumably because he wasn't listening to anyone else. Bet you that was the Jachai Polite pick.

wewantsapp, Vida, dmw and 3 others like this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You can call Mac a lot of different name, but [WORST JETS GM IN HISTORY] gig doesn't belong to him.

That gig goes straight to John Idzik. To Mac's credit, he did unearth Robby Anderson and a few defensive players. Idzik? His most famous pick was Geno "3-INT-in-3-starting-drive" Smith. 'Nuff said.

Cman68 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

..aaaand we still disagree on Mac vs Idzik. 2nd round pick on Geno vs 2nd round pick on Hackenberg? One of them is still in the NFL.

8. That pic was a freeze frame from either NFLN or ESPN.The pick it was for I believe was Cashman

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Ah might be nothing to see there but my point stands. He was a very poor talent evaluator, especially considering his background is in scouting and not the salary cap side of things like Idzik and Tannenbaum.

KurtTheJetsFan and NFLDayspast like this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You know.

Calvin Pryor
    Jace Amaro
    Dexter McDoodoo
    Jalen Saunders
    Shaq Evans
    Dakota Dozier
    Jeremiah George
    Brandon Dixon
    Quincy Enunwa
    IK Enemkpali
    Tahj Boyd
    Trevor Reilly

The infamous Idzik boys. Half of them were cut before the summer. Compare that to Hackenberg, and I'm always picking that list above as the true example of incompetence. For this glorious list, we missed out on:

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Dee Ford, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr in 1st

Jarvis Landry and Davante Adams in the 2nd

I could go on. 2014 draft was pretty deep in a lot of areas, and Idzik somehow missed out on ALL of them. That takes talent, you know.

Vida, NCJetsfan, Noam and 2 others like this.
  11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Ah, the 2014 draft. That one that contains one more player still on the roster than the 2015 draft - with lower value picks.

12. NFLDayspast

This is why I believe he is the worst gm. Another poster made half this point and I want to give them credit. Up until he drafted Darnold he was an unmitigated disaster in finding a QB. Look at Hackenberg and Petty as well as who he passed up. Look at the money spent on the position in terms of FA's like Fitzpatrick, who are no longer with the team and didn't help them win. In terms of team resources he exhausted so much on a QB- requiring to exhaust even more in terms of picks to trade up to get Darnold. Even when you look at Darnold- if Macagnan had his way it would be Kirk Cousins under center. He recouped a pick with Bridgewater and one can probably say, signing him to trade him, was the best decision he made related to the QB position. I say Darnold is only here because Dorsey made a mistake and Macagnan probably would have made the same one- further showing his ignorance of the position.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Idzik was bad but he also inherited a hell of a lot worse situation than Maccagnan did. Idzik cleaned up the terrible cap situation before he got fired. He just had a terrible 2014 draft when there were some slam dunks there.

Maccagnan did a terrible job in free agency AND the draft. He kept going back to the well after the whole sign three high priced defensive backs thing didn't work in 2015. He doubled down on trying to build that super secondary by taking two safeties with the first two picks and signing a corner to a near record contract.

They're both terrible. I think Maccagnan hurt this franchise a lot more, simply because he had the opportunity to do so for a lot longer.

There's also a reason he hasn't been hired and Idzik was scooped up right away. At least Idzik was true to his form in being a cap guy.

14. FJF

Um, terry bradway traded a first round pick for Doug Jolley and followed it up with 2 2nd round picks on a kicker and a kick returner. When you’re talking worst gm in jets history the line starts behind terry fucking bradway

wewantsapp and TonyFtLaud like this.
  15. NFLDayspast

You can't rip on Doug Jolley. He was one of the most prolific tight ends to ever wear the green. He should enter the Ring of Honor this year with a ticker tape parade to follow. You can't attack Bradaway for bringing in an icon.

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Hate to sound too sun-shiney, but I totally agree with this. Darnold with a cohesive offense is the most complete QB of that class, and I don't think it's close. I dearly hope for his sake and ours that he gets a chance to compete for many years within a solid system.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  17. FJF

To expand on this. Heath Miller was selected after the pick we traded to the raiders for the luxury of carrying Doug jolley on the roster.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Macc did a terrible job of building the Jets. His 1st round picks weren't made in a vacuum, they included a pattern that denied the value of the offensive line and edge rushers. When he was fired the Jets had no above average skill players on offense and no pass rush to speak of. The best players to play for the Jets in each season he GM'd were either players picked in the top 6 of the NFL draft or aging free agents unable to duplicate their success the following season.

I wrote a post mortem of the 2019 Jets that I have yet to post. Why? Because I couldn't get away from Maccagnan in terms of the overall effect he had on last season and on the franchise as a whole and it was just too negative to make for entertaining reading. The last time I had an issue like this surface was after John Idzik's firing and the reasons were similar at the time.

wewantsapp and ConcordeChops like this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Funniest post of the day.

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

That's another thing that needs to be pointed out. Drafting a QB was Maccagnans plan B, he wanted Kirk Cousins. Unbelievable.

Given the fact that Maccagnan had TWO spending sprees (2015, 2019) compared to Idziks zero, and we still fucking suck, I'd have to say Macc did more damage. Although Idzik very well could've done the same had he gotten to spend all that coin.