LSU vs. Clemson Game Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 13, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Not often an SEC Quarterback is able to dominate the SEC quite like Burrow has. Because of that, I knew there was not an ACC Defense that could stop Burrow; Clemson had no chance tonight.

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

What's the record for most passing yards and most TD's thrown during a championship game?

Because with Burrow being at 442 passing yards and 5 TD's thrown I believe he's close to breaking BOTH records...

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Kudos, FJF. You called it.

Great game. LSU deserved to win. They are a great team.

FJF likes this.
  4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Vilma. After watching this game and the last one, I don't like Higgins as much. He is starting to remind me of the receiver Chicago took a while back, White I think. Against big competition he's a non factor. It's like he just disappears. May he adjust to the nfl, but it's a pretty big chance. I think the top 2 have separated themselves from the pack quite a bit.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Vegas got absolutely hammered last night. Over 80% of public was on LSU.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The line was too generous in comparing the Clemson Tigers overall body of work over the past 3-4 years and not looking at the matchups of the game.

Line should've teetered at 7.5/8.5 IMO. LSU walked into that game already beating 6 ranked teams, all of which were on the top 10 when they beat them. The only team that finished the year unranked was Texas, who won their bowl game.

It should've been closer though. Lawrence had a bad second half (innacurate) and for some reason Venables felt as though he'd fair well with a rush 3 drop 8 defense at times.

Clemson should've blitzed 75% of their plays and probably finished more along the lines of 30%.

FJF likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

After last night's game, I'd take Jefferson over Higgins.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. dawinner127

I don't think Vegas actually felt that way though or they would have made the line so egregious people would have HAD to lay off LSU and start taking Clemson. Remember, Vegas is in it for the money. They want 50% of bets on both sides and just collect their vig. I believe that they really thought Clemson would keep this close or possibly win SU. Before the playoffs started Vegas had Clemson has the #1 ranked team and had them -2 over LSU. Just because LSU throttled Oklahoma, recency bias swung the line 8 points? Vegas was licking their chops that 80% of the pub was on LSU.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Well I guess what I'm saying is that Vegas really pegged the entire situation wrong. Clemson played well against Ohio State. I'm not going to say it wasn't a penalty but the hit on Lawrence kept that game from being an Ohio State blowout early.

Clemson beat three ranked teams, only one of which finished the season ranked.

LSU beat six ranked teams, five excluding Clemson. Four finished in the top 14.

I get that Vegas was high on Clemson over their massive winning streak and highly ranked defense, but they played a much easier schedule. The ACC is pretty beat.

I think the line was so generous to Clemson because it looked at everything that they did since 2016 and not how they matched up this season and how the teams actually matched up.

dawinner127 likes this.
  10. dawinner127

Totally agree with you. I'm not going to lie - I bet Clemson and the entire time I felt awful about it because I have been emotionally attached to LSU all year and love the way they play on offense and they are just a really fun team to watch, easy to cheer for, etc. The public NEVER wins when it's that lopsided on one end and I guess I thought I was being "sharp". A lot of touts that I follow on Twitter were also on Clemson because the logic behind it didn't add up.

All we need to know about the ACC is that Clemson was 28.5 point favorites in the conference championship game LMAO. That conference is horrible. Clemson really needs to go 35-0 every year to get into the final four until the ACC gets better.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Definitely. I'm not some sort of betting guru. I got slaughtered in the NFL for the season. But as far as college is concerned, body of work is important. I took Clemson vs. Ohio State but I was actually shocked they won. Ohio State played a much better schedule all season but Fields was only listed at 80% because of his knee.

I think at times of how things will align too. Burrow won the Heisman. They've pretty much dominated everyone all year. It was setup too well for them to lose.

I'm with you though. I attach myself to teams and don't let go. It's tough.

12. NCJetsfan

I agree somewhat. I really liked his tough run on the TD, but I think he's too thin and will likely be injury-prone in the NFL, what we feared Anderson would be, but hasn't proven to be. That's what concerns me and has made me cool on him somewhat. I'm not sure he can beef up his frame very much, either.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah Vegas tries to keep it 50/50. The line woulda moved and gave Clemson more points but there was a surge of high profile bets made on Clemson the day of. So the line went in the opposite direction. The "sharks" (professional big $$ gamblers) all liked Clemson for some reason. A rare time when they get it wrong and the average joes get it right

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Edwards-Helaire (LSU running back) would be a great day 2 or 3 selection. imagine getting him in round 4? he is perfect for today's NFL. He will fall in the draft because he won't test well at the combine but he is an NFL running back.

blackssmagic likes this.
  15. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

My problem isn't injury. It that other than 2 plays yesterday has a dissapeared against foot competition. Last game was they same. He did hurt himself last game thought maybe it was a lingering issue. That said he hasn't looked good. Neither game did he go up for a ball, contest a 50/50 ball, or even use his reach for a grab while covered. He just looked smothered. Also aside from that play you are talking about he didn't use his size to push anyone around. I know he's skinny but he's still 6'4 215... idk. Just not sure about him.

16. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

ESPN has this for many of the 'premier' bowl games. They have a various amounts of other collegiate HC's on just analyzing the game each play at a time. They had Mike Gundy, Jeff Hafley, Derek Mason, and Gary Patterson. Believe it was on ESPNU (don't know if it is on ESPN+)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Thanks! I appreciate it! That sounds very interesting.

18. dawinner127

They need to move this game to Saturday Night before the NFL Championship games. There is no NFL that night since both games are played on Sunday. It gives the players and coaches an extra 4/5 days to prepare. The game starts way to late to be on a Monday night... Just like MNF. Majority of the east coast isn't up watching the end of those games.