ESPN to make huge offer to Romo

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GREG, Jan 13, 2020.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

don't love romo but my God is he better than Booger

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

TBH, I dont want Romo on MNF. Find someone else ...

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They need to do it. There are a lot of rumors about them going after Ian Eagle too. He should do it just to get away from Dan Fouts.

Romo/Eagle would be a good combination.

I could never understand why this league allows Booger on the air and Phil Simms is still stuck doing pregames.

I think a classroom of fourth graders would be better than Booger. They should also think about upgrading Louis Riddick as well.

Brook!, NYJ79, Red Menace and 3 others like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what were they thinking when they put Booger's fat ass on that crane every game? of course it was gonna be mocked.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Would love for Orlovsky to get the Gig. Man knows so much and he did a good job with Wisheusen when they did college games throughout the year

FJF likes this.
  7. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

I would rather him stay on CBS. CBS has more bigger games over the course of the season. I only probably watch less than half of the MNF games in their entirety.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Booger is just painful

Red Menace likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I like Romo and would like to see him on Monday night. My only beef with Romo is he always states teams have to go for it on 4th down. It could be the second quarter down by 14 and he will be, "I really think they have to go for it here. A FG gets them nowhere". Now that I think about it, Aikman does the same thing. Maybe its just a former Dallas QB thing.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Something about his voice annoys me and I can't take him seriously when he talks about what it takes to win in the playoffs because of his reputation as a player in the playoffs.

Joe Buck is the best in the business IMO awesome voice.

11. dawinner127

They're right though. If they are in plus territory and its 4th and 1 or 4th and 2, you should go for it every single time. Once you cross the 50, play callers should act as if they have 4 downs to get a 1st.

nycarl likes this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Did you just say its almost the off season, because thats all I heard.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Idunno. I know this is where myself and other posters vary on philosophy, but I think the field goal is at times undervalued.

It all depends on game flow and situation for me and obviously field goal kicker reliability. But if you go for it on the opponents 32, you're risking walking away with zero points. The gain is that you get a fresh set of downs but you still have to move the ball another 31 yards to score.

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I will pull my inner 13 year old girl and say Eeewwww to Joe Buck. Fuck him dude. Fuck him and his father.

15. dawinner127

Just out of my own curiosity I went and looked up the % of FGs made from 2019 from the 28 yard line to the 33 yard line (45-50 yard kicks) and kickers were 92 of 151 (61%). Then I looked up the conversion rate of teams on 4th & 1 from the opponents 49 to their 1 yard line. That was converted 78 out of 191 times (41%). 4th & 2 it drops down to 34%. Obviously it's situational football where if is half time or the end of the game and you only need 3 to win, it changes everything. I'm still trying to figure out how to check those drives that were converted to see if they scored TDs. Not sure how to find that on PFR yet, but I am extremely curious.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Interesting statistics. Thanks for looking that up.

I think the type of game definitely matters as well as situation. I mean if you're down 28-0 at the end of the 3rd it's sort of a no brainer to go for it. If you're down 21-0 in the first quarter I personally would rather compile points than chase them because there's a lot of game left.

This is a game that sticks in my mind to that point.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201511120nyj.htm#all_pbp

Bowles went for it early in the 4th quarter on the Buffalo 20. Randy Bullock was 14 of 17 that year for us and didn't miss a kick under 40. I think it was a WR screen pass to Brandon Marshall that fails to convert. It would've been a chip shot field goal at that point.

This was when it was 22-10 at the start of the fourth quarter. Would've made it 22-13.

The Jets hold and score a touchdown shortly after. 22-17 (would've been 22-20). The Jets hold again. They get down to the Buffalo 7 yard line with 3 minutes left and can't kick the game winning field goal.

Now I don't know why on that fourth down play, with Ivory, Brandon Marshall and Decker on the field we elected for the Kellen Davis corner route. But if we win that game we make the playoffs.

That game always sticks in my mind as to why you take the points.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

MNF is a joke now. Doesn't even feel right. Bring back Al, Frank(posthumously) and Dan and move it back to ABC Ch 7 in Prime Time. Now that feels like Monday Night.

18. dawinner127

You mean when we blocked the punt and got it at the 7 yard line. Then handed it off to Chris Ivory for 4 yards to get it down to the 3 and then didn't hand him the ball again? Yes I remember that game pretty well LOL. I was there with my brother and the stadium exploded after the punt, and then we were so let down after not scoring. EDIT - Maybe I don't remember so well. The play drive looks way different than I described it. Whoops. o_Oo_O

See for me - Houston had KC on the ropes last weekend. It was 21-0 and they settled for 3 to make it 24. Go for it. You have them by the throat and all they needed to do was squeeze. They ran a great play on 3rd & 1 before that drive stalled where Watson got around the corner on a designed run.

It definitely is all situational, but I would definitely lead towards being more aggressive. It's one of the things I actually like about Gase. In plus territory from ~40ish we do tend to go for it quite often.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If you're going to dig them up you might as well bring back Cosell too.

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I think a big part of it depends on who you're playing.

Take this years Jets game vs. Pittsburgh. That's the type of game where I'd settle for the 3 because it's a defensive slug fest.

Then in last week's Houston vs. KC game, I would've gone for it on 4th and 1 up 21-0. It would've been a kill shot if they scored a touchdown.