NY Post - The 49ers blueprint could save both Jets and Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jan 13, 2020.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2020/01/12/jets-giants-must-follow-49ers-blueprint-to-dominance/

I agree completely with this. Also, look at Tennessee. Tannehill hardly has to throw the ball for them to win against top teams. He's no better than he was in past seasons. Tennessee just has great defensive and offensive lines. I watched much of the Texans/Chiefs game and those QBs both had time to throw the ball, unlike Darnold. Mahomes had as much time as he wanted. It was comical.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Joe d said as much in his end of season presser. But it’s not enough to recognize the problem, executing the solution is the biggest part.

Vida, Mr mittens, Jake and 7 others like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

every year we hear this bullshit. so & so wins with physical play... that means the Jets "could" do that too.

yeah, the Jets could copy the 49ers model. So could every team in the NFL. out muscling your opponent? winning with running game and tough defense? WHY hasn't anyone thought of this before???? dohhh o_O

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Funny you say that. We heard this a ton about John Idzik and the competition model in Seattle. How the Jets would be the new Seattle-East.

The 49ers model of building through the trenches isn't ground-breaking. The successful NFL teams do it. We've just ignored the offensive side of that for a decade.

5. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I agree every year there's a new trend and the NFL is a copycat league but the 49ers formula is what has won SBs since the beginning of time...I think a good point is stop following trends and do what has always worked.

6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The Niners ain't won jack yet for people to be copying their 'blueprint'.

I've felt Green Bay is the best team this season. We'll see about that this upcoming Sunday.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

And largely failed in our attempts at the defensive side. Its not like we didn't try.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thanks for Posting.

Yes. not ground breaking news but the cynics will always be there to dissect what the Article says

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes and no though. We didn't target edge rusher or corner in the draft. I'd say there was a lazy effort to improve the linebacking corp by adding a 220 pound 4-3 ILB type in Darron Lee. Demario Davis years ago. And the had a career year for us after trading back for him and we let him walk out the door because we NEEDED to get Matt Forte that off-season on top of all the money we spent on Skrine/Revis/Gilchrist the previous off-season.

The blueprint in the NFL hasn't changed much. But we've deviated from it a ton.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

An edge rusher is usually the last piece because without someone in the middle requiring a double team they are much easier to neutralize and game plan for. You build out from the middle, not from the end. The 49ers did it right, and then added the last piece with Bosa.

Our attempts to build from the middle failed repeatedly, and evaporated. Though I am not saying QT cant still pan out.

Vida and azhar80 like this.
  11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I expect some absolute fucking dogs to be brought in to play OL and DL by Douglas.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

You don't continue to do the same thing though until it works. We tried to draft the same over and over again. The 49ers are an oddball case where they drafted Thomas, Buckner and Armstead and two out of the three became studs. But that was magnified by the elite edge rusher in Bosa.

The Rams tried to do something similar and it never really worked because the offensive side of the ball was ignored. The 49ers drafted received in the second and third this past year and second the year before and also took a top ten right tackle.

The Rams took Adam Carrier, Chris Long, Robert Quinn and Michael Brockers in the first round of a six draft period. And they struggled mightily throughout those years.

Just because it worked out for the 49ers in this one year, doesn't necessarily mean it's the blue print.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  13. FJF

The only true blue print is to hit on your draft picks. It doesn’t matter what position you target if they don’t pan out. The mess of a roster we have now is more because the players we did pick didn’t pan out than the positions we’ve picked.
    Know talent
    See talent
    Acquire talent.
    Fill in the gaps in free agency.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

'Hit on your draft picks' can't be a blue print though because it's not possible to beat the draft.

It's like saying the only true blue print to becoming wealthy is hitting on those scratch offs. Well, yeah, but... good luck. Multiple analytics nerds have proven that there is no correlation between a teams picking performance from one draft to another.

15. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

So you're saying we need another DT? I agree with you on pretty much everything. Build like they have does work to an extent but it's not like it was fully planned. They drafted d line just like we did for many years. Buckner, Armstead, Thomas, Bosa, Aldon Smith, Tank Carradine. They just actually hit on a few. Also they got Sherman and Jimmy G. Hit on Fred Warner and George Kittle. Actually drafted Oline.

It's not just the trenches they hit everywhere. But of those dline how many were truly good and how many were bad or off the field issues.

Also they lucked into Bosa because they were bad. I don't see us being that bad. Yes I don't like Gase but I don't think we will have a top 3 pick next yea . Maybe top 10 but not enough to get the next Chase Young or Bosa or whatever.i could be wrong, we could be horrible. But I could as easily be wrong and the Jets be good.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The blueprint should be:
    1. Get your QB
    2. Protect your QB
    3. Knock down the opposing QB
    4. Get a few playmakers at the skill positions
    5. Stop the opposing receivers

17. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I would add good coaching staff and GM. They can be as important. But also you need one good ILB/MLB to can plays/adjustments.... basically you defenses QB. I have seen other positions do it but not as effectively. I do agree with your list though And I think we have a QB. Just need to protect him and get him weapons. Our front 3 on D will suffice we just need number 3 and a cb1 for #5. I also hope we have what I added. Gase is the piece I am most worried about. I think Mosley will be amazing and I hope Douglas will.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said. Agree completely, most of us here have screamed for years about our OL and upgrading the trenches thru the draft every year. IMO however, The bold needs to be qualified as follows, “The successful NFL teams do it right.
    God knows We tried time and time again on the Defensive line incorrectly. To compensate for that blunder, we did zilch on the OL at all. Piss poor implementation and bad approach by the GM.
    Most teams know this, few get it right.

19. FJF

Hit on draft picks doesn’t mean hit in every single pick. But every draft has to produce something, role players, depth that develops to replace aged/over priced bets 3 years later. We have entire drafts wiped out 3 years later, we haven’t given a first round pick a second contract since mo wilk. We haven’t had a second round pick last the duration of their contracts since I’m not sure when. Winters and enunwa are the last picks to get extensions. You can’t go consecutive years gaining nothing from the draft.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Build the trenches, win football games, that’s some ground breaking reporting by the post here.