Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as their new HC

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GREG, Jan 12, 2020.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Odd to say outloud: "entering training camp, this will be Baker Mayfield's 4th head coach in 3 years."

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Not an impressive choice to say the least.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

At least we won't have to deal with Browns fans talking trash all offseason. That was both surreal and annoying as hell.

5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Oh it will happen again, also Bills fans will be there... they are basically the same.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Pro tip Kevin, rent don’t buy. 12 month lease max , of a month to month option is available take it.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The difference is the Bills have made the playoffs twice in the last three years and appear to be well coached.

8. J-Raw24

True. But that said I don't see them making it far with Allen as the qb. But that won't stop them from talking like he's the best. Honestly I envy their D and think they have a good coach. I could gush about members of the brown defense as well. And I think the browns have had good coaching, one of which is our DC. But I don't see either being championship contenders in their current incarnation. Same goes for us though.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He blew a 16-0 lead in the playoffs. If that happened here he would have 5 threads calling for his dismissal

10. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

On the one hand, it's the Browns, and that franchise seems even more cursed than we are. On the other hand, there has to be someone who can keep the headcases in check and get a team with that much talent to 8-8/9-7, right? Right???

Also, next season they get the meh AFC South, the dogshit NFC East, the Raiders...and us again. Not exactly running the gauntlet. But they're the Browns. *shrug*

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

At the very least, Stefanski has been around the same organization (a winning organization) for a long time. And has survived three coaching regimes and risen up the ranks the way it's supposed to be done.

No one ever really knows what coordinators will turn into when they become head coaches. But he's a solid candidate.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

We shall see. I admire a guy who did not let pride get in the way of a career decision after being passed over last year in favor of Kitchens and an organization that could basically say "we screwed up and want to make it right."

13. Jonathan_Vilma

The Browns also wanted a puppet. Why? I'm not sure. This job came with stipulations. The coach must meet with Haslam for "hours long" meetings on Monday following games. They also are required to have an analytics person hardwired right into the head coach during games as per DePodesta.

Whether you believe heavily in analytics or not, I'm still not sure why a spreadsheet nerd has the keys to the franchise. Especially when he's been there since 2016 with little success.

We know first hand what stipulations does to suppress candidate choices.

But analytics really only takes you so far in a game that's driven by human emotion far more than any other sport. And certainly more than DePodesta's background which is baseball.

FJF and J-Raw24 like this.
  14. J-Raw24

Good information to know. Not sure it's a sought after job at that point. I have never thought analytics would work as focus in football.

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Who lasts longe? Stefanski or Baker? How many more weeks does Baker have before you toss the flag in on him? Completely different situation than here in NY.. that team is loaded on O

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

I'll preface this by saying I didn't watch any of the game so I'm not sure what the problem was with the Browns last week. I'm also a big advocate for not overreacting after one game.

However, what I saw when I watched Baker last year was extreme tentativeness. Like he's scared to make a mistake so he holds on to the ball forever and then routes die and it becomes a clusterfuck trying to find an open receiver. He's also not the best at the scramble drill because he's similar to Johnny Manziel - fast enough to do wild things in college, but not fast enough to do it in the NFL.

He also is very accurate when he has open receivers. But he doesn't throw receivers open or lead them well. It'll be interesting to watch them tonight.

17. dawinner127

Yeah I'm not sure either. Just from what I've seen on Twitter is that Baker isn't confident with anything he does right now. I'm really excited to watch the game tonight to see him play.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

19. dawinner127

Damn. Those guys are open too. Just pull the trigger Baker

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mayfield sucks but the Browns win big tonight