In retrospect, should the Jets have drafted Lamar Jackson?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jan 9, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The single most important ingredient in winning a SB is having a blueprint to build your team upon, and that blueprint should include having a FQB who can complete passes and make decisions under pressure, one or two stud skill players (the more the better) one of which is a RB who can make 1st downs when you need them, an above average OL that stays together for a few years, a stout defense that has opportunistic playmakers - a stud pass rusher and a secondary that can get INTs.

Once assembled, you then need a HC that can adapt to whatever happens and still win.

A tall order, but that's why it's so hard to win a SB, and harder to repeat (hence the need for the blueprint).

The Jets seem a long ways away from this point.

twown, CotcheryFan and J-Raw24 like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You also have to get lucky in the playoffs. Even the Pats who had a SB contender 17 of Belichick's 20 years, were only 6/17.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Interesting that smashmouth has come roaring back this post season.

4. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Pats really benefited from playing in a crap division and getting byes and home games.

5. HomeoftheJets

That's even more luck.

ColoradoContrails and MJK like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

All it takes is a Chiefs/Texans and Packers/Seahawks SB and people will forget smashmouth football ever happened. Heck, even if the 49ers lose in the SB to the Chiefs/Texans, people will forget about smashmouth football.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I like the prospect of the Chefs vs. SF. Second would be TENN vs. SF. Either would be worth every second!

8. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

We're all Jets fans ... by definition we're all both stupid and dumb.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Both great candidates. Steve Young was FAST but his running game was never featured, as back then QBs would get killed. When he ran, he ran for his life and did very well. Lamar has actual running plays designed just for him. Sort of like the Wild Cat only the QB runs the ball, not a RB. Those are the plays that set Lamar apart from other QBs. It took the NFL defenses about 2 seasons to defend the WildCat, which had caught them off guard (Miami). The same will happen to Lamar, that's all I was saying. Run First QBs, if they are special, can catch the NFL off guard. But it never seems to last over a career. For that, I'll take a QB like Sam (this thread was "Should we have taken Lamar?").

Russell Wilson is playing as I type this, so let's see!

Catfish Billy likes this.
  10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Wilson is a great qb. The defense blows. But he's still good. He needs a run game, all qbs do. But he is an example of a running qb who became a great pocket passer. The problem is the team isn't build around him, and after watching the play calling Carrol maybe going senile.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Watson just came off winning a national championship too. How much do you need on your resume? Mahomes worried some people on this board because of the spread offense he was coming from. But the kid is coachable and has adapted to the NFL. I sure hope Douglas drafts better than our last 10 GM's.

#131 boozer32, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  12. J-Raw24

I really hope he does. Our team is so Talent deprived it will take him a few years but he had some pieces. Hopefully he takes what he has and can build a winning culture. So far he has said and done the right things. I also like his background a lot. Hope he brings some Newsome magic with him.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

LOL Pete went senile when he threw the ball at the goal line instead of running Beast Mode, handing the Cheaters another ring! But ya, Wilson is really good. He could sure use some help. The rest of the team seems to sit back and wait for Wilson to win it.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

there are several seasons and instances of Gase running talent out of town as a head coach because they didn’t fit what he wanted. It’s not too early at all to judge a megalomaniac head coach who is several seasons into his career and has shown no signs of growth in dealing with players or adjusting his system/play calling.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. J-Raw24

Which talent did he run out of town? Ajayi was replaced by someone who had less drama and played pretty good... who else? Jarvis is also a drama queen and I'm glad at this point the JETS didn't go for him. I'll keep Crowder thanks.who else? Yes I think Gase is a bad coach, but outside of his use of Parker I don't see and players really doing that much better without him beside Geiski, who is still in Miami btw. And with Geiski he had to have someone to block because he didn't rebuild the crumbling oline. But again that was mainly the front office.

MJK likes this.