In retrospect, should the Jets have drafted Lamar Jackson?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

OK

are you saying Lamar is a great QB?

need to know

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

No but you making him out to be trash is obviously false. And you calling people stupid for saying so is ignorance. He is still a threat and could develop into a Great qb. He is 2 years in and has done WAY better than any of the "pocket" passers drafted with him. He has a higher chance of going to the playoffs than any drafted with him or since him. To call someone stupid because you don't understand football isn't exactly bright.

FJF likes this.
  3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Meh

he’s a running QB on a good team with a good HC

Sam will prove to be better

Lamar sucks as a pocket passer. Not smart either.

but time will tell.

4. He might just be a playoff choker.Doesnt make him a bad QB

dawinner127 and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Please no personal attacks to Longsuffering either. Maybe I made the mistake of tolerating these attacks way too long

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. J-Raw24

Lamar has passed a lot this year and looked good doing it. I question his ability to move the football without running it but he does have more passing touchdowns than sam by quite a lot. It is to soon to say he cannot pass from the pocket. I remember people thinking Wilson would never be "elite" in the pocket but I would take him over most qbs in the nfl "from the pocket". Sam may end up better and I honestly hope he does, but this year Lamar is better. NO doubt about that. This still is no reason to badger other people due to their opinions.

#106 J-Raw24, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

Understandable. I will refrain. Just trying to prove a point that acting over beliefs is ignorance. Not meaning to bash him. I personally think gase is an idiot as Longsuffering does, but I have had great conversations with Vilma and understand his point in the matter as well.

Brook! likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Although, as I said in the 2018 QB thread, maybe it was too soon to induct Lamar into Canton, I wouldn't count him out either. What he did this year was no fluke, and I'm pretty sure he'll learn from his mistakes, as will his team. I envy Ravens fans. The difference between how their team is run, and ours, is a case study on how to do things right and how to do them wrong. I sure hope Douglas brought some of their magic with him.

9. J-Raw24

I couldn't agree more. I think NCJetsfan posted a thing earlier about the 20/20 program and Baltimore scouting. I hope Douglas paid attention when he was with Newsome. Some of it is brilliant. We need to build Sam an offense and GW a defense. We need to build everything with a vision. Hopefully Douglas has a good vision for it.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

11. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Every year there's a new trend...last year it was the passing game is the future, this year it's running QBs...just build a team like every teams that's ever won the SB...great defense, great offensive line, and a smart QB....people always trying to reinvent the wheel.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He didn't get injured dumbass. Did they lose? Yeah, but that wasn't our discussion it was durability. LMAO excited over literally nothing.

FJF likes this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Guys. Please no personal attacks. Nobody is stupid or dumb for having a different opinion than you.

Mngmnt

MJK likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Running QBs, even great ones like Lamar, are the definition of a one trick pony. And if that one trick involves getting tackled to the ground by 280 pound defenders, over and over again, well.

I'd rather have a one trick pony that stands in a clean pocket and tosses an inflated pigskin 20 yards downfield over and over again. Tom Brady is a statue that has never ran more than 3 yards in his 20 year career, but has 6 rings to show for it. Not a single 'running QB' has ever won a ring.

Give me a Joe Montana or Steve Young or even a Sam Darnold with a super fast brain that can function in a split second, a good arm, and can throw darts on the run. And an O-line. And a good defense.

That's it!

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'd rather the bulldozer RB behind the massive OL so the QB doesn't have to do much of anything other than not lose the game.

PennyRoyal10 and dawinner127 like this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

and IF the bulldozer can throw TD's as well as run for them , well that's a bonus :)

Cman68 likes this.
  17. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

russell Wilson? Steve young?

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

As it relates to Sam. The only thing that I believe Sam needs to really improve upon is his decision making - taking what's given and not taking unnecessary risks. IMO, losing McCown really hurt his development this year. The TD he threw to R Anderson week 16 was ridiculously good. He has all of the tools necessary to be a very good NFL QB. I believe with another year of seasoning under his belt, he'll be ready to take that next level jump in 2021...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's a flavor of the week thing because the Titans are doing it with success right now. But as a whole, the quarterback and 3rd down defense needs to win you a Super Bowl. Even more than that though; team balance is important.

Of course, a running game is needed though. We need to figure that out this year.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

LJ is 0/2 in playoff games. :mad::mad::mad: