Missed opportunity = mediocrity

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 10, 2020.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

You are way off.. the offense was in no way allowing us into the playoffs. 2 more defensive players was going to suddenly make our offense playoff worthy. As it was our DC coached up some no bodies to win games, but to think 2 linebackers make that much difference is not realistic. I don't think we make the playoffs again this year with those 2 back and improvements hopefully to our offense.

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ya there goes my point in the original post in regards to our free agent moves. CJ and Averyson both solid players but we had to overpay and went all in on them to be healthy. In free agency you want to be adding depth not overpaid guys that need to be healthy or your team doesn’t stand a chance.

Footballgod214 and J-Raw24 like this.
  3. Rockinz

Absolutely more glamorous but if your hiring a coach looking for glamour ur Fd.

4. J-Raw24

Yes and no. I think 1 or 2 decent free agent and the depth is key. A good football team has both homegrown talent and some veterans. I think our problem is we keep bring in 5+ high end free agents every 3 years then no being able to keep consistent. It goes back to the Rex years. We get 5 high end free agents one year then the next 2-3 we can't afford to pay for toilet paper at training camp. This year I think we should target 1 fa ol in free agency. Then focus on round 2 and depth. Stick to mid level vets mostly for other spots like cb/wr etc. We can't keep paying 15-20 mil per year to players that could end up on IR here. Personally I go Scherfs, then maybe kick the tires on AJ Green if he doesn't cost much. After that I got to CBs that could develop more like McKenzie Alexander and tier 2 and 3 wr/edge/etc. Bring back what we need to fill holes. Just fill as many holes as possible without over spending before the draft. Then on draft day I upgrade as much as possible. We need quality depth in case the injury bug hits us again.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, coaching the Cowboys looks better on a resume than coaching....... the Jets or any historically losing team.

6. Rockinz

Bengals will be terrible again in that division and will win 3-4 games next year. I’m confident they move on.

The Dolphins rode the Fitzmagic mirage of success and will be last in the AFCE again and will move on.

The only reason I say Bucs is that BA might step down with his age and health issues.

Broncos I feel real confident will move on from Fangio after KC keeps smashing them.

7. J-Raw24

Actually coaching the cowboys looks better than coaching 70% of the nfl atm. The talent level there cannot be ignored. Yeah JJ is a complete douche but he wasn't coaching the team. They lost due to coaching. He may have had a hand in it but let's be honest Garrett blew a good thing.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. J-Raw24

I completely disagree. Dolphins were well coached at the end of the year. Fitzmagic is real but that doesn't explain the defense playing like it did. Fact is Flores could become a real HC. I hope not but its real...

Bucs will keep Arians and he will get his own qb soon. Maybe not this year but he had them playing well enough at time, Winston cost them several games.

Broncos and Bengals I'm not sure on. Bengals look very bad, but a great draft can change any team. Broncos I think are a sinking ship, they may waste Von Millers last few years.

9. Rockinz

I like the AJ Green option and backing it up with a WR in the draft for to be groomed under AJ. I think he won’t be as expensive given sitting out a whole year. He’s going to sign a contract for 1-2 years.

Joe Douglas absolutely needs to add 3-4 starters in the draft and show his eye for talent. Add 1-2 starters in FA and 1-2 depth value players.

10. J-Raw24

I agree. I think Green would be great if healthy, and I don't see his price being to much. Probably about the 11-12 we wanted to pay Robbie. I would love to draft Pittman or Jefferson as well. I could also see a late receiver. Maybe a speed guy who fell a bit.

Douglas need to add starters on the o line and a wr in the draft. Theoretically a speed receiver to take the top off and a big body, 50/50 ball, red zone target. Then we need at least 1 guard and 1 tackle. Also center needs attention even if in the late rounds wish someone to push Harrison.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Bengals are not firing the coach after 2 years. The brown family is not in the business of paying multiple coaches at the same time. Not happening
    Broncos, stable franchise doubtful they make a rash decision .I think 7 is the absolute highest you could see and I would still be the under

J-Raw24 likes this.
  12. Rockinz

There are obvious 5 lame duck coaches and we have one of them... I hate that... it’s has a stench of such mediocrity. Last year we had 8 vacancies and it was a bidding war. I just feel if you know Gase won’t be there deal with it now especially when it’s not a monster year for head coaches.

13. J-Raw24

I don't know how many teams will be looking for a coach next year. I honestly don't care either. Of all the team you named I'm not sure any have as much promise as the jets roster wise. That said I think Gase will fail. But I don't agree with the first Gase now crowd... I have hope Douglas will improve the roster and make this team even more desirable. If we fire Gase now we are handing the next coach a bag of crap with a bad schedule next year and at least another year of rebuild. I think we are 2 years from being competitive from a team building stand point. Why get a new coach to lead a team missing so many pieces and let him have a bad year against what "could" be a tough schedule. We could just let Gase try for a year and 8f he doesn't work out our next coach can come into a good situation. This "ruining" Darnold talk makes no sense, did Gase ruin Tannehill? No at most he held him back but now Tannehill us playing well on a team in the playoffs. I think Gase will fail, but I also think replacing him now is worse than keeping him. I don't want our next coach to have the excuses Gase has. Fix the team, starting with the o line. Get rid of the excuses. Then get a better coach and put him in a position to succeed.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why would AJ Green take anything but top dollar? This is his last big contract opportunity in an extremely week receiver free agency.

I also can't imagine him not wanting to go play with a top quarterback that gives him the opportunity to try to win a championship. I highly doubt he has interest in being apart of a rebuild here.

15. J-Raw24

I don't think he has the option of top dollar due to his injuries and lack of production recently. But the second part I can see. He may value winning on a real contender to coming here to play with a questionable team.

I see his contract along the same line as what AB got from the Patriots last year. He will get a little more which is why I said 12 million instead of 10, but he hasn't been great for a few years, so I doubt top dollar.

We may have to offer him more though because as you said he probably wants to play meaningful football.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO the answer to your question is twofold. One, so that new coach can be getting to know his players and working on the culture and approach he wants. Second, why let Gase help determine the types of players/positions that Douglas prioritizes, only to have a new coach come in the next year and then the players that Douglas took not fit what that new coach is looking for?

J-Raw24 likes this.
  17. J-Raw24

My thought on this is Douglas pick those players and the next coach. Douglas builds this team with a vision. It's about time we have a good gm. We haven't to long. If he sticks to his vision thus could be great or horrible. Its a gamble but I'm tired of idziks and mike mac's.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I understand that Gase is not going to be fired at this point. But if a miracle happened, these are reasons to not wait.

The reason to fire Gase now is to allow the new HC to have input to the player acquisitions between now and next season. What if he has a different philosoph/scheme (I pray to all that's holy he does!), then he would probably prefer certain players that could play in that system. That said, I would much prefer Douglas to have the "blueprint" and that he acquire the players for it, and then look for a HC to coach to it.

The other good reason to fire Gase now is why waste any more time? It's almost certain he'll screw up and be fired during or after next season, so why delay the inevitable?

Of course there's a chance - if Douglas does a good job adding the key pieces - that Gase turns things around. I don't think so, but what would be SOJ, is for Gase to produce an 8-8 or 9-7 record, good enough to "justify" retaining him. If that happens we may not see a SB appearance for another 5 years at least.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I want the Jets to win a SB, not just squeak into the playoffs, and I don't think Gase can do that.

Rockinz and J-Raw24 like this.
  19. J-Raw24

You're preaching to the choir here on Gase. I live close enough I watched him through Chicago and one of my best friends is a dolphins fan so I watched him there a lot. I don't think he has what it takes to be an NFL HC. I don't like his play calling, I don't believe in his vision. I hate his late adjustments, lack of adjustments, or just bad adjustments.

My thing is if we get a new HC here now, half the fans will be calling for his job next year. I think we are 2 years from contending. Yes he could get to know his players which us a good thing. But he could also have billboards with his face on it.

I don't think we have a chance with or without Gase why throw a new coach into the fire. I have faith in Douglas of he is allowed to build his vision. He could fail yes but so far I like everything except Gase.

I also think during him one year in makes us no better than the Browns, even if Gase has had more than that counting the fish. I don't want our next coach fearing firing after a crap year next year in which the teams talent held him back. I want him to have time to establish the vision.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The best reason I can come up with for not firing him now is that bringing in a new HC - especially if they've never been an NFL HC before - that it would cloud the assessment of Douglas, and we have to know if Douglas is the real deal. Of course, Gase may screw up the talent Douglas gets so that clouds things too, not having a new HC is one less variable.

#40 ColoradoContrails, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    J-Raw24 likes this.