Quinnen is a beast...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Aug 15, 2019.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Whatever the Jets are doing , it works. He may not be a flashy name, in this no name DL, but they were second in the league vs the run, an improvement over last year. Williams is a quiet but effective contributor vs the run doing a lot of the dirty work. I hope he can get to the Qb more often but that will come in time. He's just a kid just getting his feet wet, but I expect him to improve as did Shepherd from year 1 to year 2.

BomberJet likes this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure. We had our strong safety almost get 6 sacks. But sure would have been nice to see instead of Maccagnan mailing it in every year taking a defensive lineman. Hopefully Douglass will address the actual needs of the team (OT/OG/OLB/C

J-Raw24 and Cman68 like this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That is the big question mark and remains to be seen. He wasn't drafted that high just to contribute against the run. He was expected to be a major disruptor from the inside and force more QB pressure up the middle which he has not done effectively to this point. Like I said I'll give him another year to see how he develops but to this point he's underachieved without question.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. boozer32

Shepherd improved? I never heard his name called all year. I'll be surprised he makes the team next year.

5. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

I recall he did some things in the Giants game. And maybe one other moment. Don't remember much of him aside from that. Was a dumb reach picks that should've never been made

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

11 tackles & 2 sacks is an improvement from last year.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Shepherd has turned into a solid rotational guy and played pretty well. He will make the team.

I found the following stats on him today:

#167 NCJetsfan, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    BomberJet and BudJet like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Is there any doubt that the best thing Quinnen Williams did this year was off the field?

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That's the most pressure he exerted all year.

jetophile and boozer32 like this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You can be sure. A blitzing safety is not the same as having two studs at defensive tackle.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Did Quinnen Williams even speak to the media this season? He was not treated like a #3 overall pick by the Jets. I barely saw him on the field, barely heard from him off the field. Pretty weird since he gives such great sound bites. Was he another player like Bell that Gase did not want, but Mac forced upon him? Never know, but can't hold that against the kid. He needs to take a big step in 2020. The talent and ability is certainly there.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

he’s really young so I’m not worried about him but from what I understand, CS wanted Ed Oliver

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. boozer32

What two studs? The Jets haven't had studs along the line since Richardson and Wilkerson.

14. boozer32

LOL

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Brutal, haha.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I believe you lost track of our conversation.

The two studs were Calias Cambell and Yannack Ngakoue of Jacksonville. I said having those two on the line next to Allen helped his pass rushing a ton because they both require double teams, and free up Allen. This is why Allen would not have had the same pass rushing numbers on the Jets. Like you said, we didn't have anyone that required a double team. So Allen would have been doubled continuously on the Jets - where as on the Jags he never got doubled.

You replied you weren't so sure Allen wouldn't have had the same season on the Jets...because our safety had 6 sacks.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. None of this is a surprise.Mac & co Fell in love with the production & hype along with every one else. But the truth was there on tape all along.

1. He only had 1 year of production when he seemingly came out of nowhere as a key contributor on Bama's defense. Coming back for a second year where opposing OC's/OL coaches in the SEC would have a whole offseason to scheme for his skillset would have been very telling.

2. He was surrounded by Elite talent that allowed him space/ 1 on 1 match-ups which contributed to his gawdy stats

3. He was extremely reliant on Penetration & usage of rip/swim moves. NFL OL are much better equipped to handle pass rush moves. The few times a game he wasn't able to get substantial penetration he struggled maintaining his gap & towing the line

4. His "Get off" was extremely overrated. While good it wasn't elite and more smooth than so quick or explosive.

It was all there.

Meanwhile the media & even folks on here Poo poo'd Ed Oliver's multiple years of production w. virtually no help around him & vastly superior physical traits to that of Q. The Jets were duped by stats, hype & the Bama Aura. The truth was there all along.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Kurt, I really really respect your opinion. And I agree Ed Oliver is the better player today. a lot better. But he should be right? he has a lot more experience.

I'm not gonna say Oliver is too small for the NFL or anything, but I do think that as a 6'1 280 lbs interior lineman he is going to be more one dimensional. You talk about being reliant on penetration with Williams, you really see a 6'1 280 lb lineman being different? Oliver isn't going to hold the line, he's gonna have to shoot the gaps his whole career.
    --

Williams needs to lose his baby fat and learn to take on blockers better, absolutely. But he's got a higher ceiling than Oliver does, in my opinion. Of course, reaching that is another story. 2019 was largely a wash though, he was hurt half the year

19. Oliver showed the ability to stack/shed & tow the line despite constant double & triple teams(Legit not phantom like D rob) & paying multiple techniques along the line incl 1T/3T/5T/7T. While he wasn't gonna get drafted to be a space eater & yes his best attribute is penetration he wasn't fully reliant on that aspect. Stacking & shedding is the foundation to a great DL whether that is their ultimate strength or not. It all starts with gap integrity & towing the line. Q was all flashy window dressing.

Oliver had superior leverage skills as well as change of direction. He participated in DB drills in college...that's unheard of for a college DL. Q most certainly never did that. I also gave him a higher ceiling b.c he didn't have the refined pass rush moves that Q had...he still had the ability to become better by learning those skills from NFL coaching.

To your point Q is still a baby physically & has a very good football IQ. But I saw Oliver as the superior athlete,much more versatile, w. a larger body of work with less around him w. scary potential once he learned how to rip/swim w. consistency.

I truthfully wanted neither for the Jets based on the obvious over emphasis w. lack of return on interior DL.But if it came down to Oliver vs. Q...Oliver was the better prospect.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think they are both gonna end up being good NFL players

J-Raw24 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.