NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Tua declaring means either Lamb or Jeudy will fall right into our laps while giving Sam Darnold a true #1 WR on the outside (and from there focus on O-Line with our 2nd round pick).

Hopefully a team trades up ahead of Miami and steals Tua from right in front of their eyes.

But yea, there is now an awesome chance that either of Lamb or Jeudy will be lining up for Darnold on Sundays.

I personally love and want Jeudy due to his insane route running ability along with experience against elite college defenses within the SEC; he's the real deal.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

tua doesn't get out of the top 5. while our OL sucks, i can see spending a high pick on a WR. Like on defense, there are cornerstone positions on offense, with WR being one of them.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Totally agree there is no way Tua makes it out of the top 5. Saw a report yesterday from Kiper that Detroit could take Tua at 3.

Not sure if anyone else heard Bart Scotts hot take the other day, but it was scorching.

1) Brady leaves to LAC
    2) Detroit takes Tua. One of the best ways to save your coaching career (Patricia), get the young QB and watch him grow
    3) Detroit does a favor for the Evil Empire up in Boston and trades Stafford to the Pats for the ~20th pick. Detroit now has Tua + 20th pick to build with.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bart Scott is a huge moron. But this is an interesting scenario. Detroit gets sick of piddling in the middle and failing with Stafford.

I think it opens up the possibility of trading Stafford to a number of teams though. It makes more sense for the Chargers to make a move for him. Chicago makes the most sense in the world but they'd never make that move in division. Indy as well to keep him in a dome.

I had high hopes for Patricia. But talk about a guy that doesn't make adjustments. Sticking with his man defense through thick and thin despite being ill-equipped.

#464 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why did you have high hopes for him? I want any and every coach that is or was connected with the Patriots to fail miserably.

6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Stick with Sam. Build around him. While the team has a lot of holes, I am hoping we focus primarily on offense in the draft. We need speed and play makers. If Sam doesn’t pan out in the next two years so be it, we’ll go after another QB, if not already done so. But we have to see what Sam does with a better make up of offense.

I wouldn’t mind taking 2 WRs with our first 4 picks.
    Hoping we grab a couple at least one with first 3 picks.

BomberJet and CotcheryFan like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Hopes is the wrong word. Expectations would be a better one. I thought he'd be a better coach than he is. It felt like he was a part of the resurgence of the Patriots defense back to the 2001-2005 form.

But it's obvious now that it's all Belichick. With that being said, I think coaching is so hard to predict. Flores did a badass job this year with the Dolphins. I think Bill O'Brien is a shitty coach who has been put in good situations with the Texans consistently.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I doubt Kraft lets Brady leave NE. I would also be surprised to see Brady go to the Chargers. That offensive line is horrible. Then again, I hope he does sign there so he gets destroyed.

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Fromm declares. More good news. The more qbs the better.

10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand the theory more QBs is better. I guess it gives us more chance at what we need. But Fromm isn't top 10 for sure. And we could use a decent backup later in the draft but I would rather see OL and WR. I just don't get how this means anything to us except pat will take one and he will probably end up being decent, unfortunately.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The thinking is that whatever round Fromm goes in will enable one more player to drop to our pick. For every QB in the draft there are that many other position players available to teams not desperate for a QB. It may not help, but it could, and certainly couldn't hurt.

12. FJF

This, plus any qb with a first round grade is a potential top 10 pick, see Jones,Daniel for evidence, and also becomes another player someone may be willing for come up for if he makes it out of the top 10.

NYJFOREVER, CotcheryFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Fromm will suck in the NFL. He floats the ball all over the field and stood behind a brick wall for the duration of his college career.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  14. FJF

But he’s getting over drafted.

15. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Seems like it's clear we will take who falls in our laps. Can't speculate too much because we have zero control

OT: Andrew Thomas, Thristian Wirfs, and Jedrick Wills seem to be the names floating around for teams int he top 12. Wills seems to be the hot name now. He protected Tua's blindside at Bama but can he play LT? Also, a major question in all of this is do the Jets feel Edoga can be a starter? If not, then we go hard after RT in FA and best tackle in this class. If they do think Edoga is a starter then we can maybe get OL in rd 2 instead of rd 1 (if we can address in FA)

WR: Jeudy..will he fall? Again, I am a huge Tee Higgins fan and if he goes off Monday night I would expect a major look at him and could be perfect at our position

Other: Yetur Gross Matos, Best Center via tradeback. Also, a HUGE fan of Dobbins but that would require a Bell move ad who knows if that could happen.

As of now, ideal draft is:
    Wills OT RD 1
    Trey Smith OG RD2
    KJ Hamler WR RD 3
    Alton Robinson Edge Rd 3

16. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

17. J-Raw24

Will is essentially playing LT... Tua is left handed. He will just have to reverse his feet etc. If he gets a good coach I think he won't have any problem. If the jets had a good coach I would be all for it, but idk if we do. I think Edoga can take over RG and play well. He will need time to develop, he was thrown into the fire this year.

If none of those o line are available and Jeudy or Lamb fall I think that has to considered at that pick. Either way a trade back has to be considered as well. More picks and other oline online wr talent later make a lot of since.

I can see you scenario but don't agree with it being ideal. I think trading back for more picks is Ideal depending who falls. I'm still not sold on Wills working here or for Sam, who isn't a running CB. Tua is great at passing but also a runner, will's isn't great at pass pro but he is average, and good at run blocking as well, which is why he's good for Tua. I believe some here will tell you there are better pass pro lt prospects later in the draft, they just have flags of their own. Smith and Trey Adam's are on that list.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Trey Smith is staying in school.

[​IMG]

J-Raw24 likes this.
  19. J-Raw24

Sucks but not a bad thing for him. I like the kid and think he can take the leap. But at least we know one target for next year.

20. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I had Trey Smith as our 2nd round pick in a mock offseason I hope to release soon - probably after 1/20 when everyone has to declare for the draft.
    Tristan Wirfs at 11 & then Smith at 48 would have made a phenomenal reboot of the O-line.

But good for the kid, - great story & I wish he go through the 2020 w/o an issue. He's sure to be top 10 in 2021.

J-Raw24 likes this.