Matt Rhule and Panthers close to deal making him the HC

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GREG, Jan 7, 2020.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Garrett to the Gmen is going to happen. They wanted Rivera. They wanted Rhule. They want McCarthy. I am laughing inside.

3. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Our coach is Adam Gase the whole league is laughing at us

Noam, NYJ_Jax28, jilozzo and 3 others like this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He’s an offensive guru, he just had a string of bad luck his whole time as a HC in the NFL.

Just wait till everything is perfectly set up for him and then you will see him start winning games.....;)

Rhule will be back in college football in 2 years, stating he wants more family time.

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Today's Daily News said that while Rhule was the favorite (guess not anymore) that Ravens DC Wink Martindale is candidate the Giants are impressed with. Also Josh McDaniels was mentioned as another top candidate. But who knows what they do.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This just came through as finalized.

Everything's aligned for Josh McDaniels to be the Giants next coach. I can't see them taking in Dallas trash but you never know.

7. dawinner127

As long as I get to laugh back I don't give a shit :)

8. dawinner127

I doubt McDaniels will want to work under Gettlemen. He seems way better suited to work with Baker in Cleveland.

Since1969 likes this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Sources are saying McDaniels doesn't want a job with a GM in place, he wants full control. McDaniels will either take over NE if BB somehow leaves, or he will be the Cleveland HC

10. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want Mcdaniels anyway he was a dumpster fire in Denver and drafted Tim Tebow in the first round....you want that guy making personnel decisions ?

11. Jonathan_Vilma

True and true. I forgot that the Giants are steadfast in keeping old man rivers in the front office.

12. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

People are too hard on Gettleman because they don't like his personality ....the guy took over a dumpster fire with no cap space and drafted Barkley, Jones, Lawrence, Slayton, Hernandez, and some decent secondary pieces in 2 years....the Williams trade made no sense tho.

jilozzo likes this.
  13. dawinner127

He actually has drafted pretty well but lets be honest, you need to be able to hit with the 2nd and 6th picks overall. He has been absolutely brutal with trades and FA acquisitions. Solder is horrible. They let Landon Collins walk away for nothing when they easily could have netted a 3rd or 4th. They signed Tate to an awful contract. They traded Beckham for the 17th overall where they took Lawrence when earlier in the season they had Snacks Harrison who was top 10 at that position. Very questionable decisions.

14. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Belichick was a dumpster fire in Cleveland. Also, McDaniels was younger and less experienced then. It's been 10 years. Time will tell.

That being said, coaches from Belichick's coaching tree rarely are successful. I think Bill has so much direct control over everything on the field that the coordinators rarely do much except relay his orders. Unfortunately, as is often the case (and has been the deal with Gase), the coordinators often get WAY too much credit for the success of the team.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

His free agent signings and trades have been pretty subpar, but he's drafted OK.

He added Alec Ogletree, Jonathan Stewart, Nate Solder, Golden Tate, Kevin Zeitler and Antoine Bethea. All of which have been pretty much disappointments.

To his credit, the Odell trade made sense for the franchise and he also got double digits sacks out of a flyer on Markus Golden. But then he turns around and used the Odell pick to replace Snacks who he just dealt away.

He said it himself on I think it was his press conference; he got caught trying to both rebuild and compete at the same time.

16. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I dunno Tate and Golden are solid FA moves, Snacks is retiring and was overpaid, Collins was a locker room problem and they were cleaning house, and you couldn't get the 17th pick, a 3rd, and Peppers for OBJ right now....as far as Solder goes he was a pro bowl LT everyone wanted

17. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he's great but people are painting him as a dumpster fire because they don't like him....and that's exactly what went wrong with the Giants not admitting they needed to move on from Manning and rebuild 3 years ago....that falls on ownership imo....instead they tried to surround Manning with overpriced free agents because Reese hadn't drafted well for 5 years.

18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The dude is a fossil. Giants need to move on from him, but Mara is stuck in this mindset that the Giants HC job is the belle of the ball regardless of who the GM is.

If I'm a HC, there is no way I would hitch my NFL future to Dave Gettleman. Gettleman is on record saying he's been wrong the last two years, and Mara has said he needs to up his "batting average". Yeah, NO THANKS.

Oh well, works for me. I can't stand the Giants, I look forward to them hiring Garrett.

19. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

When a GM is on notice from ownership that he needs to up his "batting average" or else, he becomes the most dangerous man in the room. He has a strong motive to focus on short-term cosmetic fixes to save his job, while sacrificing long-term progress. Short-term fixes are usually free-agent signings, and Gettleman's free-agent signings were not so hot even before he was placed on notice.

The game may have passed Gettleman by. It's not so much a question of age as of a stubborn refusal to recognize that the game has changed dramatically and what worked 20 years ago won't work today. I can't imagine Rhule or McDaniels taking the head-coach job with Gettleman in place. By process of elimination, Garrett seems to be the guy. He was a puppet in Dallas and is used to working with a questionable GM with an oversize ego (Jerry) so for him, Gettleman may actually be an improvement. If the Giants hire Garrett, it will be just another shovel full of dirt on the myth of Giants as model franchise. The more interesting question is how long before Tisch makes a play to curb Mara's power because Mara may be a big part of the problem.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jones is far from a questionable GM though. With his son making all personnel decisions within reason, the Cowboys have drafted very well over the past decade and made the correct signings at the correct time.

Dealing with Jerry creates a whole other set of issues. But it wasn't a personnel issue in Dallas this past year that's for sure.