Cowboys to hire Mike McCarthy

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GREG, Jan 6, 2020.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Most of us wanted the Jets to hire him last year.... :(

3. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Probably the right move for Dallas, doesn't guarentee any success.

4. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Green Bay surely doesn't miss him.

5. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

If Dallas pays Dak top dollar, I could see that team falling apart. interesting situation for MM to head into. They have a chance to succeed in the short-term though.

6. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Green Bay also hasn't proved he was the problem ....the offense is actually ranked the same which the knock on MM was he wasn't dynamic enough of a offense coach and the game passed him by...they are winning with defense and running the ball not because they are innovative offensively.

#6 MJK, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

It's funny how last year the trendy hire was a young offensive guru...this year it's gonna be a solid veteran coach that will be stable and has won.

#7 MJK, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Imagine if a female head coach ever had success? the following year, the owners would start the new trendy hire.

MJK likes this.
  9. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

haha that would be terrible.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Coach throws the red flag. Ref comes over,
    “ hey coach, what are you challenging?”
    Coach: “you know what”
    Ref: “ no, what?”
    Coach: “ well if you don’t know, I’m not telling you. Figure it out”

NCJetsfan, PickSix, GQMartin and 4 others like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Like the 49ers, Seahwaks, Packers, and Vikings all fell apart when they paid their QBs top dollar?

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The 49ers shouldn't be grouped in with those teams. As of now, they're a one hit wonder. We're going to start to see some of their players leave for greener contract pastures over the next two years because of it (including possibly Jusczyk, Arik Armstead, Emmanual Sanders, Verrett, etc.) They have bottom 5 cap space this offseason.

The Vikings are only one for two in playoff appearances and this year obviously as only the #6 seed. We'll see how that unfolds.

The Packers and Seahawks are valid. The Seahawks are only as good as they are because of the quarterback though. They have a bad pass protecting offensive line, good receivers, and a defense that's subject to get absolutely gashed. Russell Wilson is the perfect example of a quarterback that can transcend a rebuild and keep the team competitive by himself as the pieces fall.

Not a lot of quarterbacks can do that. The Packers also have their first winning season in two years as well.

I think the post raises the solid question as to if Dak can do what Russell Wilson did. When Byron Jones leaves, potentially Amari Cooper leaves and Leighton Vander Esch down the road along with other players. Can he keep them playing at a 9-7 to 11-5 clip because of his own play.

I don't think he can. But we'll see.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good move for MM..Dallas has tons of talent and Jones will give him the players he wants

Thanks CJ..missed the boat and we get AG and a Prayer

Cman68 likes this.
  14. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

It's all about drafting if you wanna have sustained success...get a good QB, get a good coach, and draft well...and as much hate as Jones gets for being a bad owner\GM he has drafted well since his son has had more say.

15. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Ruhl will probably go to the Giants....Will be interesting to see how both workout compared to Gase...call me crazy but I'm betting we hired the wrong guy. Lol

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Interesting that McCarthy is so quick to sign up to a situation where he will never be the spokesman for the team, and will constantly be being publicly undercut by the owner. Makes me think that people haven't been beating down his door with potential offers.

As far as the desirability of Dallas as a landing spot goes, this is a franchise with 3 playoff wins in the last 23 seasons (the Jets, by comparison, have 7, and we all know how bad the Jets franchise is). The $5 billion valuation of the franchise is great for Jerry, but does nothing for the fortunes of the team on the field. They have talent, but they also have cap issues going forward. I don't think Prescott is an elite QB, but they're going to have to pay him like one, and that usually doesn't work out well for a team.

17. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I
    word is both the Giants and Cleveland asked for second interviews...wasn't a hot candidate last year when everybody was going for the hot young college guy but he was this year.

18. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Well those teams are paying Zeke, SMith and Lawrence as they best at their position, as well as having Cooper and Dak wanting their share. Add to that a top Oline that will want to be paid as well, and you have a situation similar to the Rams. Not the same, but similar.

Since you brought up the other teams, the Seahawks ARE Wilson. They didnt' fall apart because they have nothing else to lose. Vikings were literally built up with only a QB missing. They were barely able to afford to keep Barr this offseason, and I believe COusins contract is up after next year. We'll find out if he was worth it as they are likely to fall apart after. Packers, same as Seahawks. 49ers, very similar to Vikings, although I believe (off the top of my head, no research done) that their contractual obligations are in a very good spot right now. They overpaid Garrap a little and Coleman, but otherwise, they have no contracts expiring that demand top dollar or that can't be replaced.

If the Cowboys Offensive line falls apart, the team will be toast.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

This will just be another reason to hate the Cowboys. When the Giants hire Rhule or dare I say it Belicheat well then I guess you could say Jet fans are as close to rock bottom as there is but WE KNOW that the Jets always can find a new low

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

My point isn't that the 49ers and Vikings (and the other teams for that matter) have it made because they locked up their QBs. My point is that the dollar value of the contracts doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. If, for example, the 49ers falter in the next few years, it isn't going to be because of Jimmy G's contract. The cap hit of that contract will be dwarfed by the combined cap hits of all the other star players they may want to retain (i.e. the guys you listed). The problem will be if Jimmy G isn't good enough to carry a weaker team. But that has little to do with the amount they pay him, it has to do with the fact that he isn't elite. So back to Dak, the Cowboys' main problem if they keep him and it doesn't work out isn't going to be the amount of money they pay him. It's going to be their decision to commit to him in the first place (if it turns out he'll never be elite), given that their roster is going to get worse regardless of whether they pay him or not.