PFT: NFL attendance hits a 15-year low

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/03/nfl-attendance-hits-a-15-year-low/

More people are watching the NFL on TV. Fewer people are watching the NFL in person.

According to David Broughton and Andrew Levin of Sports Business Daily, the NFL averaged 66,648 attendees at home games in 2019. That’s the lowest average since 2004.

The Cowboys averaged 90,929, leading the league for 11 straight seasons. Fifteen teams saw a decline in attendance, led by the Jaguars (8.7 percent drop), Raiders (7.6 percent) and Bengals (7.0 percent).

Two teams saw an increase of more than five percent. Washington’s audience grew by 7.3 percent (the stadium was still at less than 80 percent capacity), and the Bills have a 6.0-percent jump.

Several years ago, the league suspended the blackout policy, which blocked local broadcast of home games if all non-premium tickets weren’t sold. Despite efforts to improve the in-stadium experience, there’s no substitute for winning.

Attendance peaked in 2016, with 69,487 per game. In 2004, 66,328 attended each game, on average.

2. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

Of all the teams to post any sort of gains, the fucking Redskins!!?

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The article says the Redskins stadium wasn't originally at full capacity. Plus a lot of rich people have moved to the DC area over the last decade.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Tv ratings are up though. Attendance doesn’t matter as long as the networks are willing to spend big and outbid each other for the rights.

5. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The in stadium product is terrible compared to other sports.....it's more fun to sit in your living room, drink beer, eat wings, and bet or play fantasy all day.

6. Brook!

MJK. I respect your opinion but for me attending a Jets game is better than any TV experience. But let me add, for the life of me I don't understand why the concession prices are so high. Make it cheap. You will still make the same amount of money but at least you will increase the game experience for your fans. Atlanta Falcons started this and I hope Jets can follow the suit one day.

NYJalltheway and MJK like this.
  7. Brook!

8. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

It costs you over $100.00 to watch a game in the stadium when you can watch it at the comfort of your home with all the food and refreshments for about $20.00

Attendance will continue to decline as the older more dedicated followers reach their twilight years and the Zoomers continue to show apathy towards the athletic theatre which today bills itself as NFL football. This is somewhat funny, because in the last couple of decades, the NFL has gravitated towards a cheap instant gratification entertainment model (think WWE) to attract Zoomers' eyeballz. Unfortunately, the league is not committed to getting rid of the noise and nonsense which detracts from today's game, instead choosing to embrace it.

stinkyB likes this.
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Basically this..... alienate your core base, in an attempt to over expand to a new base that will only be a shorterm grab.
    Combine that with the money gouge it costs for a live game-day experience and there you go....... and I'm one of the people that prefer to be there in person, but unless there's a quality product on the field, I'm not dropping a few hundo for the day aside from a game or 2

FJF likes this.
  10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

For 300 level seats, you are paying $75-95 for sideline seats. Multiply that by 2 if you are bringing a friend. $150-190 now for tickets.

$25 for parking pass if you pre-pay. Fuck you if you want to pay when you show up.

Let's say you want something to eat or drink during the game. $10 for a beer. Food is expensive.

Probably paying money in tolls to get there.

So yea, paying over $100 per person to watch in person. I could sit on my couch and watch for a lot cheaper. I could go to the bar and watch for a lot cheaper. It's just not worth going to a game.

Fuck the Johnson family.

jco2007 and FJF like this.
  11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That's every stadium. Try going to Lincoln financial....... Don't you live in South Jersey?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NYJalltheway and FJF like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Fantasy football is the double edged sword in all this. It’s driving the popularity and tv ratings and at the same time hurting the attendance. No more fans just interested in the home team winning, too many other around the league interests. Do you want to pay $100 to sit and watch the game and all that entails or sit at home , play daily fantasy, keep track of your team(s) and flip from game to game during commercials.
    I think the jets:giants have a bit of an edge with the legal sports book and in game betting giving them another entertainment outlet while at the stadium. I’m expecting the owners of other teams to start putting pressure on their home states to open up the gambling laws to help them out with attendance.

13. Greenday4537

I do live in South Jersey, but fuck the Eagles. I'm not shelling money out to them.

Yes, stadiums are expensive. But MetLife is by far one of the most expensive. Hell, the Ravens are about the own the AFC North for years. But you'll pay like half the price in concessions in Baltimore than you will for Jets/Giants games. You'll pay less for parking. And unlike the Jets, the owner might actually care about winning.

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Well feel free to hit me up next season for a game if you want to go. I'll usually have a spare ticket. I don't charge, ask brook lol.

But the linc is expensive as fuck too and you'll pay 40 bucks to park outside the damn stadium. It's ridiculous, foods just as expensive too. Especially since they won that super bowl.

15. Greenday4537

Used to go to a few Phillies games each year. Some guy at work has a package of tickets and when his employees didn't want them, I'd take them and the VIP parking pass.

I won't turn down free Jets tickets. 2 hour drive but worth it.

zace likes this.
  16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did that drive all but 2 games. I'm so use to it tho. I have family in North Jersey

17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

It's also a huge time sink to go to a game. Staying home is way more convenient. Either way, as TV technology gets better and the stadium experience remains so expensive, people have more incentive to stay home. Also, I personally think that the atmosphere for most NA sports is pretty boring unless it's an extremely important game.

Jonathan_Vilma and jetophile like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they make the gameday experience worse and worse for fans and they wonder why we don't go to the games. and this applies to every city/team
    -

the NFL needs to look at what baseball is doing. MLB is far more fan friendly

Brook! likes this.
  19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I used to love the "Game Day Experirence" email surveys I used to get when I was a STH. You can only imagine some of my answers. "Why isn't it's a dump an option?"

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Staying at home is much better, I'll have Redzone on one TV and the Jets game on the other.

It's easier to follow my fantasy teams and any parlays.

I can sit on the couch from 12pm to 730pm in my sweats and slam buffalo wings and pizza. Going to the home opener every year is enough for me.

MJK and Jonathan_Vilma like this.