FA Target: Bud Dupree?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jan 3, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The only way I'd want Douglas to use a 3rd round pick on an edge rusher would be if he didn't like any of the OL or WRs remaining. I wouldn't want another edge rusher who fell because of work ethic or character concerns. If there was an edge rusher with superior talent and production to any of the remaining WRs or OL, then I'd be OK, but otherwise, I would be disappointed, if not upset.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Jenkins was good but how many have failed. It's a dangerous game to play. You get lucky once in a while but it's very iffy. Hopefu6 we don't repeat the Polite, Maudlin etc... but I think they same can happen with WR. Hill, Smith, Hansen, etc. Our scouting department is bad at both those positions in the later rounds.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. J-Raw24

We have 2 3rd. So if we got ot, wr, og, weaver or wr. Ot, weaver, og. Or whatever I think the weaver pick would be worth it you could even go with Becton if he falls with the other 3rd. I'm ok with that for sure. Then you can you 4th and fifth on og, cb or rb. 6th on kicker. And that's with not trade back, if Thomas or Wirfs isn't available I still think trade back is a good idea.

4. NCJetsfan

I'm not certain our Scouting Dept. is to blame. It is my understanding that the GM tells the scouts what kind of players he wants, what characteristics/traits/skills, etc. to look for, etc. Idzik didn't have a clue what he was doing and neither did Mac. Our scouts could be just fine. Then again they could be part of, or much of the problem. Hopefully, Douglas is smart enough and has a great enough eye for talent that he can discern if any or all of the scouts need to go, and if so, can still find great talent on his own so the upcoming draft isn't wasted, and then will be able to hire some better scouts following the draft.

#64 NCJetsfan, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    J-Raw24 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Again, Weaver sounds like a great prospect and under normal circumstances, I'd be all about taking him. If Douglas has signed two FA OL and already drafted 1 or 2 OL, then I wouldn't have a problem with taking Weaver, unless it meant that we wound up missing out on taking a great WR prospect. I would rather upgrade edge rusher than CB, because with a better pass rush, one can get by with lesser CBs. I'm hoping that Douglas signs a CB or two in FA, and that would help in terms of drafting OL, WR and Edge.

#65 NCJetsfan, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Yannick over Dupree and it's not even close. I am sorry if someone already mentioned it cause I didn't read all 4 pages

7. I think its one or the other leaning towards edge.You have to have some hope of getting off the field on 3rd down or 2 minute personnel wise whether its pass rush, coverage or both.Jets had neither & relied entirely on scheme. Unless things get cuckoo in FA i really dont even wanna think about either need in the draft until late day 2 the earliest.

The jets need to fixate on offense in this draft.There are absolutely no excuses not to.It’s bigger than this draft class, bigger than Gase & frankly bigger than Darnold!

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. J-Raw24

This is what I'm saying. Round 3 at the earliest. I think Dupree is overrated. Ngakoue I like beyond that those first few Dupree, etc I would let go. The price isn't going to be worth it. If you can get one cheaper. Like at the price we can get Jenkins for then sign him and Jenkins, otherwise draft one later.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

dupree is a solid player but had a bigger year then expected in his contract year which is a red flag. he's basically the steelers version ofjordan jenkins. solid player but not someone to break the bank over. Ngakoue is better but i'd rather see if we can get clowny TBH

10. J-Raw24

I am not a Clowney fan. He could be great or he could get paid tons and get real lazy. I definitely could see him pulling a tru on us. I just don't see spend a ton on him. Him and Dupree will be way overpaid this year. Fowler maybe as well. If he plays for 16 games solid he could be worth it be he hasn't done that year in his career... he has 8 or so good games a year.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Watching playoffs this weekend...Demario Davis, All Pro (same as Jamal Adams), tearing it up for the Saints. LOL even when we get 'em we don't keep 'em.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I don't know how this plays into the "fast lean LBer to get after the QB VS behemoth that can stuff the run", but the four teams this season with the top passing offenses didn't even make the playoffs, while all the four teams with the top running games did.

This tells me teams are doing very well running the ball, and if your defense can't stop the run, then just go home now.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

We can safely say we agree on this. Unless there is a defensive prospect we cannot refuse, we shouldn't be drafting defense. Not in the first two at least. If Chase Young drops - we should trade down and get some juicy picks out of him.

NCJetsfan likes this.