A little frustration

Discussion in 'Draft' started by blackssmagic, Jan 5, 2020.

1. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Watching D.K. often this year it is obvious the kid had all the tools. He blocks, his hands have improved, and his route tree is much better than thought. We continue to screw ourselves. So many people screamed for him last year. I know we can always look back but this was just last year. Here we are looking for wideouts in this draft instead of other priorities

Brook! likes this.
  2. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

People screamed for him at 3 or top 10...he went at the end of the second round and we didn't have a second.

3. blackssmagic

Your absolutely right, we should have traded up a few to get him. He would have been worth that extra picks

MJK likes this.
  4. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Probably shoulda traded out of 3 and got extra picks...Q Williams is a waste.

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and blackssmagic like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

No one wanted him because of his 3 cone drill lmao.

dawinner127 and blackssmagic like this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

What about not taking Allen at 3. We needed an edge rusher in the worst way, but passed on him for some reason. That was frustrating.

7. blackssmagic

You guys all bring up great points. How is people on a message board see this stuff yet the people at 1 Jets Drive dont...I just really dont get it.

It should have been:
    1. Allen
    2. D.K.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

To be fair to teams that passed on Metcalf; he looked like a Stephen Hill clone. Big, fast, strong, and... Fast.

He finished his collegiate career with 67 catches for 1,228 yards and 14 touchdowns. Hill finished with 49 catches for 1,248 catches, 9 receiving touchdowns and another rushing (+147 on the ground).

Teams get scared off by production. There's been a number of workout warriors with limited production over the years.

AJ Brown was the real miss. He was also a physical beast but was the #1 at Ole Miss and posted back to back 1,200 yard seasons.

Our franchise knows absolutely nothing about drafting receivers. We've drafted one thousand yard receiver (Cotchery - 1 year) in 17 years.

9. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Yeah I admit Metcalf kinda reminded me of a Cordello Patterson or Kevin White type combine wonder...was a big Brown fan clearly the best route runner in the draft.

10. DK had a legit route tree in college & proved he could beat defenses in a variety of ways.He just wasn't a pivot route/3 cone guy esp w. AJ Brown lining up on the other side. His lack of production was more due to injury & having 2 other very good WR's that took away production. His release,speed over the top & body control combined with his freakish size made him a legit prospect.

Hill ran 2 routes in a run heavy option offense where to his credit he was the only legit receiving threat. To me what stopped Hill from a better NFL career wasn't his route running but lousy hands. He was a body catcher who was far too weak coming down with the ball. There wasn't enough tape of that in college b.c. he never got enough passes thrown his way given the offense. He always looked good in shorts & he fooled the Jets.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I agree, but I think his lack of production scared teams away from him. Obviously at this point we can see it was stupid, but I think had he remained healthy his RS sophomore year he would've went much higher with another 30+ catches tacked on to that resume.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Except he didn't have all the tools. That combined with his lower production compared to physical gifts scared teams off. DK is a great example of scouting for "what can he do" instead of "what can't he do". People were all to ready to point to a more limited route tree, low production, and poor agility numbers and write him off. He is in the perfect offense for him where he is asked to run block and run a ton of deep routes off play action. Schotty has used him very well and brought him along slowly as the season progressed. Wilson may be the perfect compliment to him as a QB with his deep ball. Its a great example of scheme fit for the talents he brings.

He is still working on his routes and drops, but once he gets going he is elite as a deep threat and good at both blocking and running on bubble screens. I'm excited to see his and Wilson's connection grow over the next few years. Doubly so because I drafted him nice and low in a keeper league where he will be hopefully giving me great fantasy value for years to come.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

woulda, shoulda, coulda......

FJF and BomberJet like this.
  14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Very true....We just didn't have the ammunition to trade up because of the need for many players to fill holes - hind sight is always 50/50 - many teams passed on DK so why blame just the Jets?

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Can't trade up for Darnold and then trade up again to cherry pick the next year.

The Jets should have traded down from the 3 however we'd be staring at Leo Williams walking and Steve McLendon potentially retiring and a void on the DL if we did that.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with the notion that we'd have had a void on the DL if we didn't take Quinnen Williams. I think we'd have been fine on the DL even with trading Williams and McLendon retiring. Fatukasi and Shepherd both made good progress this season and are good rotational pieces. One can always find good DL all over the draft.

As long as this team has been looking for an elite pass rusher, the smartest thing imo would have been to stay put and take Josh Allen. If not Allen, then traded down and taken OL and a WR with the picks we got would have been the 2nd best option unless someone really blew us away with a bevy of picks and players, then that would have been the best option. Taking Quinnen Williams may not have even been the 3rd best option.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Ben Solak just put up an article on DK and his draft position. Its a nice read on him and why he was not only not a top ten pick but the 7th receiver off the board and the failings of the draft process that lead to it. I knon the guys on the site had him in their top ten overall last year.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/why-did-dk-metcalf-fall-to-no-64

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I wish we traded down and took Ed Oliver.

jilozzo likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There was definitely some sentiment in the Jet's draft room for that kind of approach. That said, Quinnen Williams still has a chance to be a monster star in the NFL. The slow start is not a "he's a bust" start. He was very productive at times and slotted well into a very good run defense. If he takes a step up his second year nobody will be second-guessing the pick. BPA does work sometimes even with Macc making the same pick over and over.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

IMO, it comes down to will he make a bigger impact than Allen(or even Burns), who would've filled a more pressing need. So far, the answer to that question is a resounding no, but things can change in year 2. Until they do, I will continue to be frustrated that Maccagnan took another interior DL.

NYJetsO12 and Br4d like this.