Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If you don't have to, then why did you cherry pick stats in your previous post to try to make said point?

The offense sucked. But we added 100 yards and 10 points with a revolving door at offensive line, a third string tightend and one of the weakest receiving corps in the NFL, in the second half of the year.

Yet somehow you look at this talent pool and think that the output should've been way better than it was because you're over emotional about hating the coach.

Just for the record; it's a lot easier to play bend but don't break defense than it is to try to play some bend but don't break offense. There's no such thing.

The defense played well. But they also benefitted from a weak schedule. The Jets played 4 top 5 defenses in the second half. They played 6 bottom 10 offenses.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If you want to have an honest discussion, you have to concede the point that even during the 6-2 stretch we were ranked #27 on offense, while defense finished #7 for the ENTIRE season, not just the 6-2 stretch. And we can't discount the beginning of the season completely. Bottom line, offense was absolute junk at the the start (worst in the league), still was garbage during 6-2 run (worst 5 in NFL), and finished as absolute junk overall (worst in the League). So, you can make a point about improvement, but the bottom line offense was towards the bottom even during this 6-2 run, and finished absolute worse in the League. That is simply absolutely awful from the HC, who is not coaching defense, but only focuses on offense. Now, someone else posted that that in Miami, his best year was #24 offense, and last year was #31 overall. This is considering he had Tannehil, who all of the sudden became the best passer in the League as soon as he left Gase.

I just don't understand the value we are getting here. Before when everyone assumed Tannehil was junk, his numbers were bad, but you could perhaps justify some of it with not having a QB. Knowing what we know now (Ryan is legit) Miami numbers look terrible. I know Ryan missed some games, but he played most of them. And for the Jets even during the 6-2 stretch, offense is terrible #27. And overall by far the worst in NFL. That's 4 years in a row where Gase, who does not coach defense, only focused on offense and finished bottom 8 every single time, including worst 2 last two years. And that's with Tannehil (top NFL passer as soon as he left Gase) for 3 years and Sam. This type of record is absolutely disgusting and atrocious, no matter how you slice it.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Again, I didn't need to cherry pick, I just did it to further prove the painfully obvious point that most people seem to get. Also your "4 of the top 5 defenses" assertion is SUPER slanted (also flat out wrong)...

Giants: 30th in points, 25th in yards, not top 5 in any defensive category
    Redskins: 27th in points, 27th in yards, not top 5 in any defensive category
    Raiders: 24th in points, 17th in yards, not top 5 in any defensive category
    Bengals: 25th in points, 29th in yards, not top 5 in any defensive category
    Dolphins: 32nd in points, 30th in yards, not top 5 in any defensive category

Steelers and Ravens are top 5 in both points and yards, and we played the Bills backups so that doesn't count in any way, shape of form.

So in reality, we played an average of the 28th best defense in points allowed and 26th best defense in yards allowed for 5 of our last 8 games, played two top 5 defenses, then played the backups of another top 5 defense.

#3563 BroadwayAaron, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Noam likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

How do you possibly say that Tannehill missed some games but played most of them? He missed 24/48 games in Miami. That's 50% of his games while Gase was in Miami.

The offense sucked. It needs to improve. But ignoring the fact that we had the third offensive line in NFL history to give up 50+ sacks and less than 3.3 yards per carry is ignorant.

It feels like some didn't watch the games. In my years watching the Jets I've never seen a Jets runningback contacted more before the LOS like we had this year. Nor have I seen the instant retreat from the quarterback because of free runners.

Somehow I'm sure everyone believes a linebacker running free on an inside zone run is some sort of play design flaw though. :rolleyes:

bicketybam and FJF like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

I hope you understand that you generally do not have a roster full enough to play an entire team of backups. Regardless of that point, we put both starting guards on IR right before the game and played in a torrential downpour.

We'll go back to it though. Did you watch the game? What were the scheme and game plan flaws that were coaching related? Sam missed throws left and right.

We pulled guards and tackles as lead blockers (what Le'Veon likes) the entire second half of the year. We ran bootlegs all over the place. It's not like it manufactured a much better running game. Bootlegs are good for this offense. Until the tightend repeatedly doesn't seal the edge. But again. I'm sure that's some sort of coaching flaw where Gase told him to let the linebacker run free.

The defense went out there and played well against Matt Barkley, Dwayne Haskins, Duck Hodges and Derek Carr who saw his receivers drop 4 balls and didn't play the fourth quarter.

6. BroadwayAaron

Do you need help moving those goalposts?

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting.

8. NCJetsfan

I have to assume that when it says "the Jets" it means Gase and Douglas, so it would not be a forced marriage or two different voices/philosophies competing for Sam's ear. I hope to God it doesn't mean the Johnsons. I also can't believe that Douglas would do anything to work against Gase.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Why not? Douglas is his friend and they are supposedly working together. Why would he go over Gase's head and do something to harm the relationship? The only other person it could be would be Chris Johnson, and surely he isn't trying to force something. I doubt he even knows who Clay Helton is.

10. NCJetsfan

This post means nothing without pictures.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Give up. You're just being "over emotional".:rolleyes:

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, overall he played half the games. But for two of the season he played most games (13 and 11 games), and Gase still finished towards the end in total offense. He did miss one entire season, for which I will give Gase a pass. The other two seasons in Miami though he played vast majority of the games (avered 12 games) and still Gase managed pathetic bottom feeding 24th and 31st offense. Basically he had the same bad offensive production with and without Tannehil, who turned out to be a legit one of the top NFL QB this year, first year without Gase. Btw, coincidentally Ryan also played 12 games this year, and Tennessee offense is respectable #12. Gase's record as HC focusing on offense is terrible even with two years of Tannehil, and just as terrible without him. That's just a fact.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I believe this "friend" thing has been overplayed. While there was a brief period that they worked together and their families were friendly I have seen nothing to indicate there is any kind of depth to the relationship. It could be there but just as easily not. Hopefully they're working together anyway, that's why they get the big bucks but Douglas would not need to go over anyone's head and his focus should primarily be on making the team better at all costs, not worrying about harming a relationship that may not even exist to any great degree.

J-Raw24 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

In the upcoming draft where we may finally see not only a non-defense with the first pick, but focus mostly offense in the draft, I guess I shouldn’t get too high with Gase evaluating and drafting players huh? I hope he s better in finding talent than his play calling. (Sigh)

15. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

They drafted Drake and Gesecki in Gase's three years there for whatever that's worth, among skill position players.

#3575 NYJFan10, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  16. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

If Adam Gase does in fact get canned after 2020 then I think we should go after this young man, he seems to have a bright future ahead. Maybe he can win us a Super Bowl… or six.

17. BroadwayAaron

The Bills and Daboll showed more creativity in that opening drive than Gase has in 4 years. It’s bad when you strive to be like the Bills offensively.

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Additionally, Gase doesn't report to Douglas so why would Douglas be interested in new coaches? This is either Gase or CJ and hopefully it means Gase is getting rid of his yes man OC.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

You are wrong, Gase quit on the phins He fought with the owner Ross late in the season and the fins game plans went from bad to horrible after that. There is nothing to point to give Gase credit for Tannyhills play with the Titans.

20. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

2019 NY Jets offense avg. 14.5 pts per game (ranked 31st)

Adam Gase yards...enough said
    2019 NY Jets 32nd
    2018 Miami 31st
    2017 Miami 25th
    2016 Miami 24th