FA Target: Bud Dupree?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jan 3, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

If he hits the market he should be a priority for the Jets. Since they have an allergy to drafting pass rushing OLB just try and sign a successful one. One or two offensive linemen should be signed also and one drafted.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would rather go after Yannick Ngakoue

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's ok. He benefitted a lot this year from playing across from the roided up nut puncher on the other side but I wouldn't break the bank for him.

Maybe I'm biased because I thought he was way overrated out of college. Pittsburgh also recycles these guys like crazy and then they do nothing after their rookie contracts. Lamarr Woodley and Jason Worilds come to mind.

Ngakoue is the crown jewel of the class. I think all 32 teams want him though. He'll break the bank. He's the only one I'd sign to a monster deal. Not interested in Clowney, Griffin, Ansah or Arik Armstead.

#3 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

This year was his only double digit year. Before that I think his highest sack total was 6.

We already have this guy on our roster, though probably with better coverage skills. Just resign Jenkins.

Ngakoue on the other hand would be very nice. If not him just sign a 2nd tier like fowler or someone else we can get cheap. Or draft one in the 3rd (Weaver please). Pair them with Jenkins and roll with it.

BacktoQueens and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that Ngakoue is the guy to sign, if possible. If not, I'd be happy with Dupree or the Raven's Matthew Judon. What do you think of Judon?

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How many big free agent acquisitions have paid off for the Jets?

I can't think of a single one. Sometimes we get a season or two out of them before the glitter falls off but in the end we're always overpaying for what we should be finding in the draft. There's a reason that the big winners in free agency every year are bad teams.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I disagree. I don't think we can afford to or should use a draft pick on an edge rusher this season. I think the draft should be all about the offense, with the exception of maybe drafting a CB in the 4th or 5th round.

Fowler sucks. He's a head case. He's done nothing in the NFL, yet won't be cheap.

The Jets definitely need to re-sign Jenkins, but imo there would be nothing wrong with signing Dupree or Matthew Judon or even Shaq Lawson to play opposite Jenkins. It may not be ideal, but it would still improve the Jets pass rush. I'd rather have Ngakoue, but he may not even hit FA, and if he does, he's gonna get a mega contract that might preclude us from signing any OL or CBs, which would be a mistake.

If we can't sign one of Ngakoue, Judon, Dupree or Lawson, I say we re-sign Copeland and wait until next year to address the edge.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Past failures have zero bearing on future success. We have a different GM now. Ngakoue isn't some old over-the-hill vet on the downside of his career. Neither are Dupree or Judon. They are in their primes.

Yes, the ideal is to get players via the draft and use FA just for depth/competition, but that's a luxury the Jets can't afford if they want to become competitive and a playoff team. It could take them 5+ years with successful drafting to get to the point where they didn't have to overpay for FAs. I look forward to that day, but we're not there yet. That doesn't mean we should be foolish, and I don't think Douglas will be. I don't think he'll go after the backpage of the rags or look to win the offseason. I think he will make smart, reasonable decisions.

Pepsiguy5 and mrjet80 like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Calvin Pace, Damien Woody (3 quality years), and Bart Scott are all I can think of that we got any longevity out of. That's a little bit skewed though because we traded draft assets for players that we got more years out of (Antonio Cromartie, Santonio Holmes, Thomas Jones, Chris Ivory, etc.)

But you're right. As a whole, the reason that we struggle as a franchise is because we're consistently filling in major pieces of the team in free agency rather than supplementing it with those veteran players. We hand out massive contracts to players that are 28-31 out of necessity rather than letting those players be one or two year complimentary pieces.

Rinse and repeat. Hopefully we learned our lesson on that and go into free agency looking at strictly second contract players.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

In four NFL season Matthew Judon has 28.5 sacks, 185 tackles, 7 forced fumbles and 8 passes defensed. In 5 seasons, Bud Dupree has 31.5 sacks, 200 tackles, 6 forced fumbles and 9 passes defensed. Dupree is a year younger than Judon. Both have received very good coaching with their current teams. I think either would be a very good, if not great addition to the Jets D. Either would be a lot cheaper than Ngakoue, and could allow Douglas to sign more FAs which could help upgrade depth and the overall talent level of the team.

Br4d, BomberJet and mrjet80 like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

I like Judon a lot more than Dupree. Pittsburgh linebackers don't really flourish outside of their organization. Linebackers generally have a decent shelf life age wise as well. Better than corners or runningbacks.

12. NCJetsfan

I like Judon better as well. I think he would be huge in Williams' D. I don't think he has had even a decent edge rusher opposite him with the Ravens. Opposite Jenkins, and with Anderson back and if Quinnen develops, the Jets could have a pretty good pass rush next season.

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The Ravens have said they intend to tag Judon if they can't reach a long term deal. He won't be hitting the market.

14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae, and Don Maynard each came to the Jets as free agent acquisitions. They made it to the Professional Football Hall of Fame primarily based on things they did wearing Jets uniforms.

Vinny Testaverde, Jumbo Elliot, Calvin Pace, and Eric Barton all played well for an extended period for the Jets.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Allen faneca who didn’t even visit any teams. Just told everyone to send their best offer and he took the highest one.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

I didn't include Alan Faneca, Sam Garnes, Brandon Marshall, Thomas Jones nor Damien Woody, who were all good or very good, but only played here for 3 or fewer years--Br4d did say "Sometimes we get a season or two out of them..."

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Amazing how the Ravens somewhat value EDGE rushers less than the majority of the teams in the league. They just replenish the talent via the draft. Seems they will try and keep Judon however.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

That's all any teams look to get out of free agents though, which isn't bad thinking. But the better teams have a core and replenish the core via the draft and then sign a guy every season to compliment the team.

Some teams get more out of free agents. But those are the teams not signing 30 year old corners.

You can go into free agency and look for offensive lineman and defensive lineman. You can't try to fill corners, runningback and receiver because the shelf life is just too short and receivers is so hard for free agent contractors to come in and automatically connect with a quarterback. Plus they lose speed quickly around 30-32.

NCJetsfan, TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  19. TwoHeadedMonster

I agree wholeheartedly--the previously stated claim is inaccurate, AND the point is invalid.

20. NCJetsfan

They'd be crazy not to try to keep him.

They did have Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata for a long time, so it's not like they don't value pressuring opposing QBs. I think it's just a testament to the difficulty in finding good 3-4 OLBs. That's why I've always disliked that alignment.

#20 NCJetsfan, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    TwoHeadedMonster likes this.