They Won't, but if the Jets were to fire Adam Gase...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 23, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

In a heartbeat.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Please pass the pipe.

Noam likes this.
  3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Screw that, give the pipe to the Johnsons. They are obviously smoking the wrong shit.

Noam likes this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Since we aren’t dealing with reality in this thread why not go all out? I’d hire Belichick as next HC of NYJs.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The economics are piddling to a three billion dollar team. That's not what would keep this from happening.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He lost his starting QB week 13 in 2016, his first year with the Fins, and did not get him back until 2018. The fill-ins for the 19 missed weeks were Matt Moore at the end of 2016 - which worked because the offense was generally clicking when Tannehill went down - and then Jay Cutler and Moore again in 2017 which didn't work as well because Jay Cutler has always been a crappy QB to depend on when you're in trouble and Moore and the Fins were overmatched @Bal and @NE when he was on the field. 2018 Tannehill got hurt again week 5 and was out for 6 weeks. The fill-in that time was Brock Osweiler who blows chunks and the offense had no continuity by the time Tannehill got back in November.

So Gase had his franchise QB actually play for him in all of 24 of the 49 games he coached for the Fins. Then Sam got mono week 1 against the Bills and we got overexposed to Luke Falk as a result over the next month.

I'm not a big Gase fan based mostly on his demeanor. That said he has only had his franchise QB available for 36 of the 65 games he has coached in the NFL. His teams, which have not exactly been talent warehouses, are 20-16 in those games and have gone 10-19 with a fill-in/backup QB. We hear a lot about the blowout losses that Gase's teams have suffered over the 4 seasons. Losses by 8 points or more have happened 16 times with a fill-in/backup QB. They've happened 10 times with the team's franchise QB in play.

Technician vs Leader is a general statement on whether the coach is more interested/involved in the X's and O's of the unit he leads or on the general state of the team on the sidelines during the game.

Any HC who calls plays is likely to be more involved on one side of the field and less attentive to the other and as such has less ability to lead/motivate/coach the entire team on game day. This is one of the reasons that most coaches who have play-calling responsibility tend to be less effective than most coaches who delegate effectively and stay attuned to the game state and the team on all plays.

A coach who calls his own plays is a lot like a lawyer who chooses to defend himself. He will often ignore or be blind to obvious flaws in the plan because he doesn't have the perspective required to fix things while he is up to his elbows in the problem itself.

#66 Br4d, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Attackett likes this.
  7. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Matt Rhule should be the top of the list.

But it looks like he's going to be the Giants HC and most likely have them owning NY and probably a super bowl or 2 before we make the fucking playoffs again.

Noam likes this.
  8. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

huh?

What's so special about Matt Rhule? Why will he be a great Super Bowl winning coach? I've seen a lot of better college coaches than Matt Rhule fall apart in the pros.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don't think Rhule will leave Baylor this year. They were a few plays away from making the College Football Playoff and they had an absolute bum at QB. I think Rhule gives it one more shot. Also, I think I heard that he was on vacation right now so if he was so serious about taking one of the job openings I doubt he would have gone on vacation and not line up a bunch of interviews.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's super overrated. He's coached exactly one year in the NFL as a lower tier assistant with the Giants.

Baylor scored the game winning touchdown against Texas Tech after being given a 'do-over' in OT on an illegal snap infraction. They sent their game against TCU to overtime on a prayer of a career long field goal by a freshman kicker. They beat Iowa State on a last second field goal and beat a terrible West Virginia by a field goal.

They rounded that out with wins against Stephen F. Austin, UTSA and Rice and the Big 12 lost 5/6 bowl games.

Context of who you've beaten and how the games were won is important in college.

NCJetsfan, HomeoftheJets and J-Raw24 like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

So you're saying that point differential and strength of schedule matter when evaluating coaches? ;)

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's a little bit different with college though, bub. I think Don Bosco Prep could beat up on Rice.

Baylor also ended up playing in one of the most prestigious bowl games based on beating nobody in a weak conference. It's not like they got into the playoff and made some nice or beat up on Georgia. Georgia benched 6 starters and the game was never close. They literally threw to one receiver all game.

I don't know that Rhule would or wouldn't be a good NFL head coach. But this assumption that he would he is silly. They play a rush 3 drop 8 defense at all times with a bunch of safety-like linebackers. Their offense essentially sucks.

Everyone complains about second half adjustments from Gase; Baylor went into half time against Oklahoma up 31-3 and lost 34-31 with two first downs in the second half.

I watched them all year because Vegas didn't believe in them either and kept giving them friendly spreads.

13. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

You're completely glossing over the fact that he's coaching at Baylor which was toxic when he got there because of the sexual assualt stuff.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

These are very good analysis, but even if you only consider healthy franchise QBs (and your QB is not going to be healthy all the time, so this is extremely generous to consider just that) even 20-16 is not a great record. That's less than 9 wins per 16 game season in average - not good enough to make play-offs. And particularly when one of these QBs is Tannehil, who became NFL's best passer as soon as he left Gase. Also, this is considering overall record, which is misleading. He doesn't coach defense. How good was the offense as compared to others during this time span? For instance, even in a 6-2 stretch this year, offense was only ranked #27. So, even if you take absolute best case scenario - having a franchise QB healthy all the time (which is not even realistic), you still end up with shitty offense and a record not good enough for play-offs.

Basically, we cherry picked here to stack thing in Gase's favor and still ended up not good enough. In real life sometimes you don't have franchise QB at all (see Jets for last few decades) and when you do he can get injured. And you may not have #7 rated defense completely coached by someone else to bail you out. If his performance wasn't good enough even when picked the best case scenario here, why do you think it will be good enough in a more real setting?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Br4d

The Jet's offensive personnel this year was as bad as any Jet's team since 2005 or so. Nothing was stacked in Gase's favor here this year.

The next two seasons will tell us two important things:

1. Can Joe Douglas upgrade the offensive personnel to above average for the NFL from poor where they are now?

2. Can Adam Gase turn that type of upgrade into a good NFL offense?

Jury is out on both questions.

16. HomeoftheJets

The easiest schedule in the league was. I don't doubt the roster will be better next year, but the schedule will probably wipe out those gains.

17. Br4d

Easiest schedule doesn't mean much when the talent level is as bad as it was on the offensive side of the ball. I was expecting the Jets to go 7-9/8-8 with Darnold healthy the whole year and taking a step up. To get to 7-9 with the clusterbomb that was the first quarter of the season was a miracle.

18. HomeoftheJets

It means we got to 7-9 instead of going 5-11 like what would have happened if we split the last 8 games. We don't go 6-2 against a normal schedule.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It seems inconsistent to cite the terrible talent on offense as the reason Gase didn't do a better job with it, but then praise Gase and the offense for going 6-2 down the stretch, discounting the historically weak schedule. If the talent was really as bad as some claim, how could they win those games, unless the schedule was a cream puff, which diminishes whatever "miracles" Gase conjured. Or maybe the talent wasn't that bad, but was just being mishandled?

What is NOT inconsistent is Gase's won/lost pct. over 4 seasons: he has consistently lost regardless of circumstances.

Borat and Ralebird like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

When I was referring to things stacked is Gase's favor in our discussion, I meant that you completely removed games where his starting QB was injured, and still ended up with shitty offense (he doesn't coach defense) and overall record that is less than 9 wins per season. The troubling fact is that with or without a top QB (he had Ryan for 24 games) he doesn't seem to coach offense to a respectable level. Always worse 10 from the bottom and often worse two. So, as far I can tell the second question on whether Gase can coach a good offense has kind of been answered as no, unless you have MVP QB. He did coach Bears to #18 as a coordinator, which is bottom half, but close to middle. The only time he really did great is when Payton had two best years of his career: 2013 and 2014. After that he has been mediocre or terrible, even when Tannehil (top NFL passer now) did play in two seasons. Who knows, maybe he can turn things around, like Belichik did after failure as HC in his first stint, it just seems like given the body of work on offense he doesn't deserve to be a HC right now, and Gregg Williams deserves it a lot more.

ColoradoContrails likes this.