Jets looking into injury epidemic

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think a mis-diagnosis is a little bit different than telling a guy to rub some dirt on it and get back out there despite having a broken ankle.

The medical staff fucked up CJ Mosely's diagnosis in thinking it was a pulled groin. He sat for six weeks and then gave it the old college try only to find out it was likely sports hernia or a groin tear. On topic of him; have you ever seen him talk? That doesn't seem like a guy that's easy to keep off of the field.

With the limited number of years NFL players get and thus ability to showcase their talents for their next NFL contract, I think it's an absolutely wild theory to think we had a number of players mail it in because of this so-called shitty culture.

dmw, SOJAZ and J-Raw24 like this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I agree mailing it in is a stretch. That's why I lean more to misdiagnosed or sent back out before ready. Maybe we need to revamp the training staff. Not saying they are all bad but something went wrong. That is to many injuries to just be coincidence IMO.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, I do believe injuries hurt us, but even so, could've won 2, maybe 3, more games.

As I said, it's my HUNCH - i.e. speculative - and I was clear (or thought I was) at the outset. And to put a finer point on it, I'm not saying it's completely due to Gase being a dickhead, but with the shitty start - of course Gase would have something to do with that - some guys might've just said "Wait 'til next year". My basis for this speculation is that some players, not just on the Jets but throughout the league, dog it if they don't like the situation they're stuck in, maybe trying to force a trade. Guys like Mo Wilkerson, Darrell Revis, would be examples.

Osemele - Yes, he was one
    Kalil - realizing retirement was better.
    Bell might've been sending a message too.

Again, this is speculation on my part. You don't have to believe it, and can dismiss it if you want, but I don't think it's heresy to pose the question given the unprecedented number of injuries.[/QUOTE]

#23 ColoradoContrails, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think this is a valid point...for MOST players. But there are SOME players who might mail it in because they don't like the situation and they have almost no leverage other than sitting out due to injury. Some players might take the risk they might lose some money vs. getting free of a bad situation and into a better one. Bell didn't sit because of injury, but he sure did sit out until he got what he wanted. I disagree that this is a "wild theory".

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Twat Waffles? Really man?

6. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Bullshit!

The problem is the players union limits their preseason training and practices, etc. so that the players are soooo unprepared to play the first 3 or 4 games and only begin to jell properly about the 5th or 6th game.

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that the fish had an inordinate number of IR injuries under AG,,, for example, 2016 -16, 2017 - 13, 2018 18. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/

I find the foregoing startling and interesting and when I was checking I saw an article that I didn't copy that said - you guessed it - the Miami Dolphins are investigating their injuries.... sound familiar.

So is our issue an outlier or is there something more. I have no idea but found it fascinating and troubling. Lets hope it was nothing more then bad luck which frankly, I do not believe in....

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I agree with this part as well but this year it was more than that. We had more injuries than any other team. I think there is something else going on.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I say fire the Towel Guy...aha

Seriously, this GM is on top of things..a week after end of NFL Season Mac would hanging out at Starbucks and buying the whole family lattes

10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I’ve seen other snake bitten teams look into stuff like this in other sports but nothing ever really comes out of it

All different kinds of injuries here and most of them of the season ending variety

We were just on the shitty side of variance this season most likely (Sam with Mono!)

Just hope we’re one of the luckier teams next season

FJF and J-Raw24 like this.
  11. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

I still remember when it started with Avery Williamson in the preseason in Atlanta. It looked so harmless. He walked off, everything ok. Then we find out it's an ACL. Was stunned. Definitely a bad omen

Of course the Darnold stuff was just bad luck and stupidity. Nothing to do with training and conditioning.

Herndon. That's ribs. Another one where it's not on strength and conditioning.

Kalil was just a terrible old player who I don't think was truly in it with all his heart. And he broke down.

And many others of course (Siemian was a result of getting killed behind a shit o-line)

I'd be curious to see what they find and if any changes are made (or if they even make public their findings)

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Actually, it is the collective bargaining agreement, agreed upon by the union and by the NFL itself, that regulates these thing in the team setting.

There is absolutely zero regulation of training by the individual player. Some are more dedicated than others and show up every year in better condition than they ended the prior season in. On the other hand some guys do little or nothing to improve their conditioning. Determining if there is a correlation between the latter and injuries during training camp and the season should be a part of this investigation.

J-Raw24 and Since1969 like this.
  13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

It wasn't just a 'injury epidimic' it's that it seemed to be all players that recently signed big contracts with the team.

Which is very strange and does warrant investigation.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think the post was speaking about the limit that the CBA has put on physical contact in training camp. The coaches can only allow so much hitting and fully padded practices throughout training camp and it definitely has hurt the players.

The NFL and it's owners agreed to it because frankly they don't really give a shit and it creates the illusion that they're making everything safer when in actuality it has hurt the players. But the players are the ones who pushed for that because they want easier training camps.

The Seahawks have been fined several times for too much contact in practices and training camp.

It'd be interesting to see what the injury correlation is pre and post this CBA. I'm sure with the emphasis on limiting above the shoulder hits has driven up the amount of ACL tears and ankle/knee/quad injuries.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Tru J has mailed it in from the day he signed here, not sure what his ankle injury was and frankly I don't think anyone of us gave much of a fuck he wasn't in the team.

#35 K'OB, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I just want to say that I don't think the Trevor Siemian injury hurt us. He looked awful in preseason, and looked like a deer in the headlights in the game he played and in which he was injured. Falk came in and moved the ball against that team, while Siemian had done nothing.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I understand fully what you refer to in your first paragraph but that does not change the fact that the CBA is a product of both the NFL and the union, not a unilateral decision of the union alone as stated in the post to which I responded.

Except for your last paragraph what you've written here has nothing to do with what I wrote about which refers to the "training" GreenFan cited. There are no regulations that prevent individual players from any sort of training. It is that independent training and conditioning that I believe should be examined in relation to injuries to see if there is a correlation with those players who do a better or worse job of getting themselves prepared.

18. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Injuries are just another excuse that losers use to try and justify their losing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk