Who gets fired?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by dawinner127, Dec 29, 2019.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I agree. If he could have grown and learned some offense and adjusted to the new rules, I think Rex could have been great. He was an annoying media whore, but it was almost like having wrestlemania everytime he got a mic. But unfortunately he was a great dc and a horrible offensive mind. That said I do think the talent went down badly on this team, and he had something to do with it.... Dee Milner.....

2. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

McDaniel's likes Mayfield.
    https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pa...ing-browns-could-impact-josh-mcdaniels-future

Ron

3. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

That 2011 team was better than every team but 2015 since then. That team actually had a lot of potential but obviously choked it away against the Broncos, Giants, etc.

I still think if the NFL didn't have that lockout, the Jets mojo would have carried over. Instead we had a wild free agency period in the summer and Tannenbaum chased Nnamdi Asomougha instead of picking up quality free agents. Of course under normal circumstances, this would have never happened, but it did because of the lockout and I believe thats when the Jets internally started to fracture.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think if we just kept the nucleus of Brad Smith, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and Tony Richardson vs. Derrick Mason, Plaxico and James Conner we would've been much better. And then the Wayne Hunter disaster.

But you're right. The above strategy occurred because we were too busy trying to build the NFL's first super secondary that would stifle any passing attack just by showing up.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

If you recall too, that free agency was like a mad dash, the lockout ended, then a few days later free agency, then a few days later training camp started late, so most of the signings went down in the first few days, it was pure chaos.

The Jets could have retained Braylon Edward's, he had no market surprisingly because teams drafted WRs (draft occurred first this year), he ended up going to the 49ers.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Belichik got McDaniels to renege on his agreement with the Colts in 2018 by promising him something. I'm guessing the something was McDaniels being heir apparent for the Pats. I might be wrong there but Belichik can't pull him back twice so we'll see how things go on the 2020 coaching carousel. It's obvious that the Pats magic of the last couple of decades is nearing an end. Whether McDaniels wants to be the guy that follows Belichik and Brady is unclear but he did walk back his promise to the Colts and that has to mean something.

7. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Yeah, if McDaniels takes over for Belichick, he runs the risk of becoming the next Phil Bengston. Bengston was an assistant under Lombardi in Green Bay and took over as head coach when Lombardi left.. Lombardi pulled the plug at exactly the right time, and Bengston was left trying to make do with an aging roster. Bengston lasted only three seasons and went 20-21-1.

#67 Since1969, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

After the Pats get eliminated, Josh McDaniels flees from New England to Carolina Panthers and takes a certain HOF QB with him for one last season with McCaffrey and that good offensive line...

ya never know....

J-Raw24 likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Dorsey fired up in Cleveland along with the HC. Not sure if a house cleaning was really necessary but that's the way it goes in Browns Country.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. J-Raw24

Its interesting to me Redskins hired Rivera and then he took Del Rio as his DC. Both are defensive minded. Maybe ole Ron plans to be a real HC.

#70 J-Raw24, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Baker + McDaniels would be a good pairing IMO.

12. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28411001/owner-jimmy-haslam-says-browns-hire-coach-gm

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said Thursday that his team will first hire a head coach so that person will have a say in whom the team eventually hires as general manager.

"If you look at the successful organizations that are consistently in the playoffs, there is alignment within the organization, and they have the right people in the right place, coach and GM," Haslam said. "That's what we're focused on tremendously, and that alignment is something that is really, really important."

The Browns' new coach and general manager will report to ownership as equals.

That sounds like a fun job.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Isn't that the same set-up that Woody/Chris insist on? The head coach doesn't report to the GM. Instead, both report directly to ownership.

I'll admit it. I thought the Jets' chain of command was stupid, but now that I see that a football savant like Jimmy Haslam does it that way, I have to admit that I was dead wrong. Who can argue with Haslam's track record of success in Cleveland? We, as Jets fans, should be thankful that Woody/Chris see things the same way that Haslam does.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

I think both ways can work. It's really less of an issue what the structure is, than getting the right people and making sure they can work cohesively.

The more traditional route is GM first and then coach but it happens the other way too.

The Seahawks hired Pete Carroll first and then John Schneider a week later. The Texans retained Bill O'Brien and hired their GM Brian Gaine this past off-season. Kyle Shanahan hired John Lynch (GM).

The Browns problem is that they outsmarted themselves with Paul DePodesta and his Moneyball bullshit. It's definitely smart to try to compile picks. But not at the expense of a franchise quarterback.

They traded away from Wentz and even moved down past Boss, Zeke, Jalen Ramsey and Ronnie Stanley to draft a shitty receiver.

They passed on Mahomes and Watson the following year.

I also don't believe in analytics in football to the extent teams try to use it. It's not like baseball. There's too few games and opportunities and too much raw emotion/momentum that isn't seen in a sport like baseball in game 87 in the summer where you can rely on the numbers.

#74 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jason Garrett finally fired. At first I thought Jerry Jones was doing the right thing in prolonging it out of respect for Garrett. And then I remembered that Jerry Jones is a massive douche.

Since1969 and J-Raw24 like this.
  16. J-Raw24

Yeah this was a bad move. If he is going to be fire just fire him so he can move on.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What good OL? Not the Panthers. They're pretty good in run blocking, but are not very good in pass protection.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Giants kept Gettleman as their GM. ROFLMAO!

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Garrett hasn't been fired yet. The entire hullabaloo is from this one tweet. He could easily end up being fired, but as of now it isn't official.

20. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Don't fire the guy unless you're sure you can replace him with somebody better. Like a Mike McCarthy. Everybody was so glad when we dumped Rex. And we ended up with a coach far worse than Rex Ryan.