The Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Dec 30, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Jags may tag him if they can free up the cap room. If not he should be a top target.

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I agree. The o line is what makes this hard to figure out. He needs to have a line in place for draft but the draft could mess that plan up. In this case I think if you can get Beachum cheap you have too. His value can't be very high considering how bad our line was and if you put the new LT at LG it should improve Beachum and allow the rookie to learn from right beside him.

Jenkins is a must, he seems to want to be here as well. I'm not a Copeland fan he can go and we can try to put someone else opposite Jenkins. But I did see a theory of us moving to 4-3, which would make Baby Q better, and could see that move depending on FA.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Beachum if the position can’t be upgraded in FA. Cannot go into the draft without a LT with any NFL experience, that would be a fireable offense.

J-Raw24 and FJF like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Good players almost never hit the open market. We saw this last offseason when Clowney, Lawrence, and Clark were all tagged and/or extended. We need a homegrown pass rusher, dynamic skill player or two, and LT.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Doug was doing his end of season press conference right now. Said that they never got close to trading Jamal, had a good discussion with Robby Anderson, would listen because that’s his philosophy if teams called on Bell. Also gave our idiotic head coach Way too much credit for my liking.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I mean, he's not gonna say "We think Gase stinks, but don't believe in one and done HC's."

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

wouldn't expect that but it’s pretty obvious why we finished 6-2 and it’s not because of the side of the ball Gase runs.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Anything else of significance ?

9. FJF

His best quote was it begins with the line of scrimmage. Considering we are set on the d side that’s a good thing to hear.

Vida likes this.
  10. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

A young improving QB and four good draft slots to get a top WR and at least two O lineman and a corner. Two inside
    LB's returning is like getting two extra draft choices who also have experience. Maybe add another O lineman in FA.
    Like speaking in code but no mention of HC because it doesn't matter. You win with players.

11. FJF

There never is in these things. Not happy with 7-9 but likes how they finished 6-2. Roster moves will be made with input from coaching, there’s a good core,
    Yada yada yada.
    Did defend the player fines on the board . Says players know why .

dawinner127 and CotcheryFan like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I can't believe they didn't stream it

13. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

They won 7 games with no players. All the coach comments are so out of line. Wake up, the team had a million players on IR. They weren’t even that great if all healthy. So many whine and cry like a team with no OL and no pass rushers should win more then 7 games. On top of that no kicker, no punter. I don’t care who they played, that’s a lot of wins for such holes. Oh and no secondary.

dmw and Mogriffjr like this.
  14. J-Raw24

And we we were just 2 wins higher than Miami. If you take away the bills game which we were handed on a silver platter and barely won thats 1 game higher. Phins have no franchise qb, no o line, no secondary, no pass rush, not real d line outside of the rookie they drafted, bearly any linebackers, a legit first year hc, a bad oc, a top wr our coach made look like a bust, a bad run game. Much worse problems than we have.... oh and we lost to them once.

15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Well Joe you had enough time to evaluate players and needs... You talked about winning games in the trenches well I see you signed 3guys on ol already which is a decent start.
    1. LB Ahmad Gooden
    2. WR Keon Hatcher
    3. DE Bronson Kaufusi
    4. OL Corbin Kaufusi
    5. OL Brad Lundblade
    6. OL James Murray
    7. LB Wyatt Ray
    8. QB Mike White
    9. P Ian Berryman
    to reserve/future contracts. Now what else do you paln to do...

J-Raw24 likes this.
  16. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

A big improvement along with not being the same old Jets will be not playing flat when teams the jets are favored over wind up winning, if your expected to win start doing it, if they are a underdog play a competitive game and be in it at the end.
    If they don’t win I can live with it as long as they are close and fighting at the end, no more games like the home game against New England this year, if these two issues are resolved and they are not the SAME OLD JETS I will be pleased with 2020.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Way too early but it is nice to see that there are 62 prospects in the top 100 of CBS NFL Draft preliminary rankings who play OL, WR, Edge or CB. The Jets currently have picks 11, 48, 68, 79 and 110 which means they should line up nicely with the talent available and areas of need. Assuming the talent spread is as CBS prognosticates the Jets are likely to have a key prospect available on the 11 while also being positioned to trade down and pick up another pick if they prefer that route.

18. J-Raw24

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I get ya on Beachum, our starting LT, but I don't think JoeD can get a spit and polished LT in the draft, even if we get one with the 11th overall pick. I think there's only one projected in the top 10, and he will be gone, so Joe will have to roll the dice on a lesser LT. Which means playing him at RT for the better part of the season, then moving him to LT when Beachum re-injures his ankle. So either way, it would benefit us to re-sign Beachum and let him start the season. Maybe?

SOJAZ and J-Raw24 like this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This. If I were sitting in JoeD's seat, I might need/have a 2-year plan to overhaul the o-line plus add skill players (WR, DB, Edge). This draft is rich in WR, not so much in o-line. This might be Joe's draft to shore up some on skill players (plus some later round o-line) then focus more on the o-line next year? I dunno. We have so many needs it's hard to see it being fixed in one offseason.

I would hate to see Joe pass on the next Randy Moss to get the next Wayne-Fucking-Hunter for the o-line.

CotcheryFan and J-Raw24 like this.