Baker Mayfields career

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by forevercursed, Apr 26, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

sure is quiet here after he had the worst passer rating in the NFL (3rd browns QB to do that in the past 12 years) and finished with a worse record then the jets despite having a better defense and 2 pro bowl WRs to throw to.

also for such an "accurate" QB everyone was hyping he finished the season under 60% and was 2nd in most INTs thrown only to winston.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i posted 3 times in this thread. they were all short posts and all that i preferred darnold over mayfield. i just simply feel like i dont like the guy. maybe one day that will change as it has for me with many many players over the years but he doesnt seem like a really likable guy.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I remember we gave out a QB Guru award here just because of a bunch of Mayfield nuthuggers :D:D:D

GasedAndConfused and alleycat9 like this.
  4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i recall it being brutal with the mayfield nuthugging for awhile.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Dorsey is out in Cleveland too. A lot of folks worshipped him here. Out after finishing 6-10

6. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I laugh at the people who think Dorsey did a good job.

Over drafted Mayfield
    Hired Freddy Kitchens
    Got robbed in the Beckham and Vernon trades.

Dorsey made moves that are popular on Twitter and talk shows not moves that win Super Bowls.

7. 101GangGreen101

It was pretty bad. IMO at best he's Drew Brees San Diego version.

They loved his approach and everything.

alleycat9 likes this.
  8. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Mayfield is Gardner Minshew except taken first over all.

9. GasedAndConfused

lol anyone who praised mayfield is far from a guru. i called this a mile away since before the draft. not saying he can't improve but he was a product of a system not a natural talent and his personalty/work ethic is shit for being a QB. he spent the offseason building his brand over improving and with the film on him and his limitations teams knew exactly how to play him and he was awful this year.

and yeah during his rookie season a few people here were harassing me and saying i should just admit I was wrong about him. I said wait until next year and sure enough lol. now all those people are quiet.

alleycat9 and MJK like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

is it official? i heard he might be out but didn't see it official yet.
    and yeah everyone was calling him a great GM here and saying we should have hired him

he did an ok job. people focus on the negatives a lot. he did build a good chiefs team. and he made a lot of good moves with the browns. ward was a great pick when most felt they should have taken bradley chubb. nick chubb was a great pick in the 2nd round. ODB and vernon trades were great for them. picking up hunt was a smart move.

for the bad though, taking mayfield over darnold was awful. i'm happy he did, but he way over thunk himself out of the right pick. hiring kitchens was awful. those 2 decisions is why they only won 6 games.

unpopular opinion. minshew is better then baker

11. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Vernon for a good lineman was a terrible trade.
    OBJ for 3 starters was a terrible trade.
    And the main reason he was fired in KC was not paying attention to culture and drafting problems which he continued to do in Cleveland.

I agree with Mayfield being overrated tho.

12. GasedAndConfused

the vernon trade was good. they had a replacement o-lineman who played better then the one they traded. the one they traded missed most of 2018 and became expendable when his backup outplayed him. they needed a solid d-lineman opposite of garrett and got that with vernon. the browns o-line is really good. top 3 in pass blocking and chubb finished top 5 in rushing.

the OBJ trade was good too. they have a top 3 WR really cheap since the giants ate the brunt of that contract. peppers is a decent safety and they got 2 draft picks which turned into a run stuffing DT and a CB. the giants good 3 good players but nobody near the elite level of ODB.

i do agree on the culture thing though. the browns are a mess with all those "big personalities"

13. 101GangGreen101

Yeah there was plenty of other fans on this board that weren't on board with Mayfield, myself included. It was a divided message board during the draft process.

alleycat9 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  14. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I'm gonna disagree with your evaluation of these trades but what I will say is that run stuffing D lineman the Giants drafted was the third rated defensive player in the draft and the games I watched got a hell of a lot more pressure then the guy we drafted 3rd.

15. GasedAndConfused

yeah i remember the big difference is the anti-baker people like us just gave our opinions and talked about film and stuff while the pro-baker people were like religious fanatics and attacked everyone who disagreed

alleycat9 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

i mean he played well, don't get me wrong but still they felt the need to trade a 3rd for leo form us and their D was still awful.

i do understand your view of the trades though, but with both teams sucking can you really say either got the better end in 2019? i just think the browns are better set for the future with the moves made then the giants personally. escpailly with all the cap the giants ate and how cheap the browns have some really good players

17. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the camp that giving up assets both in the draft and against the cap for WRs especially diva ones isn't the way to build Super Bowl rosters....Cleveland is the perfect example of a roster looking good on paper.

18. GasedAndConfused

lol yeah i get that for sure. but with the trade they are paying ODB way less then they would have to if they signed him as a FA. the giants gave him 5 years 90 million then paid him out 41 million for 1 year so cleveland is only on the hook for 49 million over 4 years or 12.25 mil a year. likely less then robby gets paid this offseason and ODB is an elite top 5 WR and robby is a really good WR2.

alleycat9 likes this.
  19. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

He also pays more attention to what cleats he's gonna wear on a weekly basis then being a football player...I don't think it's a coincidence he went from one toxic locker room to another....they were fine with Landry and Chubb should have used those assets to fill out other parts of the roster...but hey they got some headlines.

20. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

The reason I was (and still am) a fan of Baker is because of his attitude. In college I saw he was fearless, confident and competitive. That can go a long way at the QB position if its used correctly. When its not reigned in, that's when you see him go overboard and be an ass. I saw that with Kelly early in his career, but Levy was able to harness it and focus him. I thought Baker would be able to do the same thing as he matures. However, they gave him a doormat of a head coach and brought in extremely questionable guys to that locker-room. The culture is bad, if not horrible. They have a bunch of me-focused guys and when that rubs off on Baker, it can send that attitude down the wrong path as we saw this year. He started acting crazy and doing commercials. There's still time to correct it, but its got to happen fast. I don't know if I trust the Browns to bring in the right coach, ship out the wrong guys, and establish the right culture for Baker. I hope it happens though.

HomeoftheJets likes this.