Jets picking 11th in 2020 NFL DRAFT

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Sid Youngelman, Dec 29, 2019.

1. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

We pat the Jets for going 6-2 for what. We had a legit shot at a edge rusher in the first round. Well we blew that. Hopefully we get a left tackle that will be around for 10 years and keep Sam safe

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

shitty source. Thanks for the clarification.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I've talked about releasing Williamson, but for some reason hadn't thought about trading him. Doh! LOL That would definitely be better! We'd still clear his $6.5 million from the cap, and would get a good draft pick or perhaps CB or OL in exchange.

NYJetsO12 and J-Raw24 like this.
  4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

AJ Green on a cheaper "prove it" kinda deal. With his injury history and age I would pay him what I would a wr2. Maybe even put a few clauses in to cut some dead money in the event he sucks. Cooper if he hits FA. And Robbie.

CB i think there are a lot of possibilities. I still wouldn't mind kicling the tired on Mackenzie Alexander or Trae Waynes on a deal like we gave Claibourne first time around.

Edge outside Ngakoue or overpaying Clowney or Barrett thers Fowler Jr, Dupree, and Judon... not super exciting.

Oline Scherf, Conklin, Andrus Peat, Matt Skura (Maybe), Anthont Castonzo, Jason Spriggs (injury?), Baluga, Jason Peters (old), Germain Ifedi (?),

5. J-Raw24

We weren't the only 7-9 shit team. I think there are a few other variables and the gap maybe less but I'm pretty sure we rotate.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't even consider AJ Green. He's been in the NFL for 9 seasons and has a lot of mileage on his legs and hits. He's 31. He didn't play a single game this season. Why? Is he healthy? Will he be fully recovered at his age? He also missed 7 games in 2018, played all 16 in 2017, and missed 6 games in 2016. He'll probably want big money, but even if not, I don't know that he's worth the cap space. He was a great WR, but does he have anything left? If so, can he stay healthy? Even if so, would he want to play the last year or two of his career with the Jets??? I honestly think I'd rather go with rookie WRs.

Alexander and Waynes are two possibilities at CB, but there's also potentially Logan Ryan, Eric Rowe, Eli Apple, Byron Jones, PJ Williams, Bashaud Breeland, Kevin Johnson, Mike Hilton, Javien Elliott, Emmanuel Moseley, Levi Wallace, or if we want to take a chance on a player with injuries, Ronald Darby, Bradley Roby, and Darqueeze Dennard. Undoubtedly, some of them will be re-signed before FA. But there ought to be at least 1-2 of this group that we could sign and along with Poole and Austin have a good CB corps.

At edge, the only one I'd give big money to is Ngakoue. I wouldn't even consider giving Clowney, Barrett, or Fowler big contracts. I'd offer Barrett an incentive-laden deal, but undoubtedly someone will pay him big bucks and guarantee it, so why would he sign with us? Judon I'd sign in a NY minute, but he should be cheaper than Ngakoue or the others. He heads the 2nd tier edge players. I'd be quite happy with signing him and pairing him with Jenkins. If we can't sign Judon, I'd be happy with Bud Dupree or Shaq Lawson as well. Signing any of those 3 would hurt Baltimore, Buffalo or Pittsburgh, which would help us in our Conference. If we can't sign one of those 4, I'd settle for Pernell McPhee for a year or two or bring back Copeland.

Unless the Saints have cap issues, I imagine they will re-sign Peat. Scherff and Conklin could be re-signed as well, but if not, I'd be happy signing any of those 3. I think Castonzo will cost a lot of money and will probably be re-signed. I'd rather go ahead and draft our future LT this year anyway, rather than kick the can down the road and then wind up having to try to get an LT in perhaps a span of a year or two where there are no really good LT prospects or only one and he goes early.

At OT, Bulaga's missed a lot of games in his career and is 30, plus he's a RT, so I wouldn't have a lot of interest in signing him, although he is very good when healthy. Peters is too old. Conklin I'd be quite happy with at RT. I liked Spriggs a lot coming out of college, but he's been a disappointment. He has only started 9 of the 36 games he has appeared in since being drafted, and was evidently on IR this season. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him as a backup, but the times I've seen him play for GB he wasn't very impressive. Ifedi I'd be happy with at RT.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

In my first response to this post, I forgot to respond to the aspect of giving Green a cheap "prove it" deal. If he would do that, fine. I just don't know why he would.

I missed Cooper. I wouldn't sign him. He's very talented but very inconsistent. With the Raiders he had a very good year or two and a bad year or two. He was very good with the Cowboys last year, but not been very good this year, and he was benched yesterday. I heard on Fox Sports Radio this morning that Cooper looked extremely gassed yesterday. That's not a good sign about his health/conditioning/work ethic.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  8. J-Raw24

I think I would take a winger on Green for the right price. Again a prove it style deal, I think he could be a step up from DT. But it would be very iffy.

Darby and Roby could be good but the reason I chose Waynes and Alexander is the sit behind a cb1 the whole time in Minnesota. They could be good, we don't know. Apple is also interesting. He look good this year at times. Dennard I wasn't high on coming out of college.

At edge Ngakoue should be first choice. Then Judon. I don't think fowler will be high priced he hasn't done a lot. He's ok at best. The rest I agree with, I think we just need someone decent opposite Jenkins and they both may play very well. Copeland never really did it IMO. We need someone a little better and we could see improvement across the board.

If we could get Ifedi at a decent price and Scherf I would be happy. Then some depth and let the other guys compete for the other guard spot. Get an LT in the draft, if they aren't day one starter bring Beachum back for a year. Draft a center later in the draft maybe 3rd or 4th round.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Route running.

His route running ability is arguably the smoothest we've seen out of a college WR coming out this last decade. He's crazy explosive coming out of cuts.

Robby Anderson never came into the draft as a 1st round prospect due to dominating the SEC on a weekly and yearly basis as Jeudy has; there is no comparison to the two coming out.

Jerry Jeudy and Robby Anderson on the outside with a natural slot receiver in Jamison Crowder would instantly give Darnold a dynamic trio of WR's and with Le'Veon Bell's ability to catch out if the backfield (almost 70 receptions this past year) and we'd literally become a competitive offensive line away from a power house offense with two pass catching TE's included.

Jeudy is my pick. Followed by O-Line and more O-Line throughout free agency and draft. Darnold and Bell deserve it: An opportunity to perform.

BomberJet likes this.
  10. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Historically, Williams base defense has been 4-3. He changed his philosophy to fit the talent here, but clearly Epenesa is a fit for what Williams likes to do.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  11. J-Raw24

Interesting point. Q would be better in a 4-3 as well. Problem is the rest of the front 7 may not be. But that could be changed around in FA maybe with a few signing and letting some of our FA walk. Its not impossible but still a stretch.

12. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

No one said Sam doesn't need weapons but what good are they if he's flat on his back? Give me 5 Antonio Browns or Amari Coopers - if we can't protect Sam it won't make a damned bit of difference.
    That's not my formula, it's considered football 101 at pretty much every level, but hey, if you want to make up your own formula, go for it.
    If a quality edge rusher is available with our first pick, we absolutely go there. Then use rounds 2 and 3 to bolster the line and maybe add a wideout. We keep complaining about our corners when we hang them out to dry without having an edge presence, then want to draft more corners.
    The chances of finding a good edge rusher after round one are severely diminished but there are quality linemen and receivers that can be had.

joe likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

If Douglas takes an edge rusher not named Chase Young with our #1 pick, he is a fool and should be fired after making that pick. We definitely have a big need for edge rusher, but again, the focus has to be on protecting Sam and helping him develop. I would make an exception for Young, but no way he will be there at #11. We can wait until next year to focus on getting an edge rusher. As I said in my previous post, it won't help the team at all to get an edge rusher this offseason if Sam then doesn't develop or decides that he wants to play elsewhere when his rookie contract is up. I don't understand why you and a few others can't understand that. even if the OL is fixed but he has no topflight WRs to throw to, why should he want to stay here? Football 101 also says that when you get a potential FQB you protect him and you surround him with talent. It doesn't say anything about sacking the opposing QB. We're not gonna fill all our holes this offseason. It's going to take at least 2, if not 3 offseasons. Needs must be prioritized. This year was about developing Sam, but his progress was minimal due to the OL and lack of receiving options. That priority must carry forward. The D was very good this year without an elite edge rusher, and we can wait one more year to fill that glaring need.

I didn't say anything about not protecting Sam. In fact, my posts have said quite the opposite. We have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. It's very likely that the only two OTs worth taking at #11 will already be gone. There are no OGs or Cs worth taking that high. The only other position that makes any sense at that point if we can't trade down is WR. We could take a WR #1, then take OL with picks 2, 3, & 4 or even use all of the rest of our picks on OL. Douglas should sign at least one starting OL and one quality backup in FA, and possibly 2 starters. The OL will be better.

It won't matter one whit if Sam has all day to find an open WR if none of the WRs we have left can get open or catch the ball. We can't go into the season with a WR corps of Crowder, Berrios, Vyncint Smith, some PS schlub, and a UDFA WR rookie or former UDFA who hasn't developed. Anderson's likely a goner. Thomas probably won't be re-signed. Bellamy may be released in a cap move.

The one thing I agree with you on is your statement about CBs and drafting more without an edge presence. I've been screaming for an edge rusher since Abe left. It is vitally important for the team's success. It is only lower in importance than getting a FQB, protecting that QB, and making sure that QB has some topflight receiving talent around him. Once Douglas adds 3-4 new OL and a WR or two this offseason, then if need be he can trade all of our top 4 picks next year to move up and get that elite edge rusher, and I'm usually opposed to trading up.

tubby, BomberJet and J-Raw24 like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know that Williams has used a 4-3 alignment primarily in the past. Epenesa will go in the first round most likely. The Jets' base is a 3-4, but they mix in 4-3 and other looks. Still, one cannot use a #1 pick on what would be a part-time player. Unless they are planning on switching to a 4-3 full time this season or next, Epenesa should not even be in the conversation imo.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

J-Raw24 likes this.
  16. J-Raw24

17. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Agreed but there is no possible way Jeudy will make it to 11, which is an unenviable spot to be in unless Tua falls and the Jets can trade down. WR class is deep enough to gamble on getting more picks, imo.

#98 BomberJet, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Jeudy an elite talent but Lamb just a tad better with his ball skills and insane playmaking/juking ability. If he somehow falls to 11 I'd take him and grab OL in Rds 2/3.

BomberJet likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Just for kicks, as we know that the current mocks don't mean much at this juncture, but a quick internet survey of the available top talent at 11 Jets might go after based on mocks by the "experts" :
    (Note: Andrew Thomas likely to the Giants and Jerry Jeudy likely to Arizona)
    For the Jets three options
    1) Tristant Wirfs(Some think there is a higher chance he gets drafted by the Browns at 10)
    2) Cee Cee Lamb
    3) Jedrick Wills

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.