From 1-7 to 7-9. You gotta respect that

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 29, 2019.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Thats about where I see us. And I'm kind of afraid Miami may pass us if we don't get it together. A buddy of mine today was talking about how if Miami get Tua, Trey Adams, and a decent pass rusher with their 3 first, then use their 2 2nd and 2 3rd to fill out the roster we could be last in division... I'm hoping Douglas can find us some talent...

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Tannehill missed 19 straight games from week 14 in 2016 to week 1 in 2018. He got hurt again in week 6 in 2018 and did not get back until week 11.

Everything that happened in Gases's Miami tenure is more closely related to the facts above than to any other single factor. Gase was 13-11 with Tannehill and 10-15 without him.

With the Jets so far Gase is 7-5 with Darnold and 0-4 without him.

That's what's eerily reminiscent of his Miami experience.

BradysTornACL likes this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The difference between the Jets and the Bills is the OL. Give the Jets a better #1 CB and a bookended opposite Jenkins and the Jets defense is probably better. Not very far behind defensively at all.

4. J-Raw24

I agree. We're and OL, CB1, and edge rusher behind but we have a better QB. That said your talking 2 drafts minimum.

5. mrjet80

Yes most likely two drafts. Unless they happen to strike gold on a fifth rounder or something like that which isn’t likely. But factoring in a solid FA acquisition or two I expect the Jets to be very competitive next year.

6. J-Raw24

I don't. I don't think Gase can call good plays and we need 2 wr and a whole o line. Our defense should be good with Mosley back and hopefully everyone healthy. I hope we bring back Jenkins and sign a cb1 and edge to fill our holes. But we have a lot of holes, questionable coaching on offense, and a bad kicker issue. I think we have to much to take care of. On top of that we have a really tough schedule. I just can't see us going more than 5-11.

7. mrjet80

Well 5-11 will not save Gase.

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Well there’s two issues here: talent on paper and how the coaches are using that talent. On paper, I think our offense should be nowhere near worst with exception of our offensive line. Despite that, I still didn’t see see our offense being the leagues worst. Sure we have tons of room to get better on paper, but in my mind if Joe Douglas improves this offensive line then Gase has 0 excuses left. He should be getting this offense to produce.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If Gase stays in 2021 that may be it for me. Unless this team looks dramatically better and was a victim to a tough schedule, I can’t see any person with a brain cell in our organization that would justify keeping him

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

They'll lose, but I have a feeling their D will keep them in the game like it did in NE.

11. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

In pre season many stated the team would be 7-9/8-8 team.

Are we heading in the right direction? Darnold didn’t take a step back but has lot to learn to get better. Think 2020 season should be very positive for him. Only 22 and 2 years under the belt, we should expect some good things from him.

The 6-2 record is filled with mixed emotions, some good, some bad but more impressive to me the team continued to fight hard after 1-7.

12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

And one more thing, the team cannot go 2-4 vs division rivals again. If they are going to fight for playoffs or division (obviously the main goal), the Jets have to do better than 2-4.

13. You ignore an entire side of the ball for a decade;The side that actually scores points in a league that becomes more & more scoring oriented every season? This is what you get.

worst leadership in sports.Positively no clue.

it may take a decade to fix it

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

they are kicking themselves for not hiring him last year. my only hope is that they are too proud to ask him or he is too mad to say yes.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

But that just isn't logical. Our offense shouldn't be near the worse except for 5/11 of the starters on that unit that are awful?

J-Raw24 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's going to take a longer time than many of us in want, in a league where you only get a second year at best to make it work if you're not a Gruden-type.

It's also a league where teams do turn around in only a year too.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think he wants to be a HC. He gets offers every year apparently.

I would love to fire Gase, promote him and hire Norv Turner as the OC.

alleycat9 and J-Raw24 like this.
  18. J-Raw24

I think you are both right on some things. Our offense had weapons to get things done, DT played well, Robbie and Crowder are good, our TEs when healthy play outstanding, Sam needs work but he has it. I think Bell would have been way better and so would the rest but.... those 5 people on that line are garbage. Thats line is the biggest problem. Now with DT and Robbie both probably gone we have 7 holes on offense. If those are addressed, and some of the line can stay as long as we get enough to make them better, then its on Gase to make it happen. His play calling was terrible, but you have to get the talent problem fixed before you can put total blame on him. I think Gase is a bad coach. But you can't deny how bad the line is. He has at least 8 games to improve. Fix the offense and see what he does.

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

that could be the case, hes been around for a long time. i thought i had heard he was kind of pissed that cleveland didnt give him the job. i know he put in for it. he would be a huge loss.

20. J-Raw24

On a side note Chan Gailey is the new phins OC and Rivera is new Skins HC.

alleycat9 likes this.