Jets 2019 Season - Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 30, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Gase - OK i know everyone is going to hate this being here. but we started 1-7 and finished 6-2 for 7 wins. a big improvement over the 4 wins in 2018 we had. We also had 20+ players and 60+ million of cap room on IR. same missed 3 games and was essentially "out" for the 1st month of the season with mono. All things considered 7 wins is a pretty good effort. most people here expected 7-8 wins. Darnold also took some nice step forward being a top 10 QB in pretty much every stat for the 2nd half of the season.

Greg WIlliams - Our defense played way better then we could have ever expected with all the injuries and issues. many players had career years or revived their career. he did an excellent job with the D

Brant Boyer - the jets special teams was once again special. we let a pro bowl kicker and pro bowl KR walk, we still wound up with the leagues leading punt returner and a kicker who performed as well as out pro bowler did that we let walk this season. and a fraction of the cost

Sam Darnold - after mono and the jets starting 1-7 he led them to a 6-2 record in the 2nd half of the year and was pretty much top 10 for QBs in every major category for a QB. he also passed the eye test and had lots of "wow" plays and throws. he is becoming an elite QB. He also had 2 4Q comebacks and 3 game winning drives on the season. all good signs of becoming elite

Jamison Crowder - scored 6 TDs in the last 9 games and had his career high in catches (78) and fell just 15 yards short of a career high. he has good chemistry with darnold and was a great signings for us. led the team in yards, catches, and TDs

Burgess - was pretty much out of the NFL and because we had so many injuries at ILB we signed him and he started 10 games. in those 10 games he had 80 tackles 1 INT, 1 safety, 8 TFL and overall played really well for us

Jenkins - missed 2 games but was his typical solid self. 8 sacks, good in the run game , 3 PDs and 2 FF

Admas - our only pro bowler and should be 1st team all pro. 6.5 sacks , 1 INT, 2 FF, 1 TD, 7 PDs, 75 tackles, 10 TFL, 13 QB hits. he just does it all

Maye - had some bad plays but overall was a stud. singlehandedly saved the pitt game. has been great in coverage and as a centerfield and made some great tackles too in the run game. he just needs to take beter angles on open field plays at times but is rated by PFF as a top 10 safety and makes up the best safety duo in the NFL

Poole - had a great year as one of the best nickel backs in the NFL. great signing, too bad it was only a 1 year deal. he was our only consistent CB on the season

Braxton Berrios - for his special teams play. led the NFL in punt return average. also shown flashes of being a solid slot WR

Lac edwards - always consistently good for us every year. I hope we bring him back

Duds

Kickers/Ficken - we went through 3 kickers to get ficken. catanzaro retired in pre-season, we signed some other guy i cna't remember who couldn't cut it. then we had vedvik whi failed and finally settles in on ficken who made some good kicks but also missed too many. was only 19-27 for 70% and he missed 3 XP as well. we need to find a new kicker. too bad we didn't go for younghoe koo who ATL signed and went 88% (23-26) missed only 1 XP and has been the best at onside kicks as well

Trumaine Johnson - was awful and then got injured and added to IR after being benched. huge waste of money who will be gone but still linger on our cap for 12 mil in 2020

Daryl Roberts - another player who was awful and made too much. Don't expect him to be back in 2020 either

Osemele - we traded a pick for him and paid him a ton of money and he quit on the team and got released. huge waste

Kalil - we paid him over 8 mil to un-retire and he was worse then the player he replaced for us and wound up on IR anyway

Enunwa - got a huge deal and didn't even last 1 game before going on IR yet again

Mosely - was supposed to lead the defense but played less then 6 quarters for us on the year. hope he returns to form in 2020 and stays healthy

Bell - can't blame him completely because of o-line issues but 789 rushing yards and a 3.2 avg is bad for one of the top RBs in the NFL and who is making 10+ mil a year.

Breakout players - young players who showed potential to help this team a lot in 2020

Basham - really came on strong at the end of the year as a pass rusher and in coverage. I like him as a rotational depth player on the outside. he outperformed wills, luvu, copeland, and langi. was our 2nd best OLB. i still want to keep jenkins and upgrade the other starter spot, but basham earned the primary backup spot and playing time as a rotational player

Austin - played really well minus 1 play and stayled healthy. looks like 1 of our starters for 2020 at CB which we badly needed someone to step up

Young D-line - take your pick. Q didn't have stats but impacted the game a lot, shepard, foley, and phillips all played great. we are really deep and young on the d-line and finished with the 2nd best run D in the NFL due to them. anderson will be expendable in 2021 to save money for sure

cashman - looked great as a situational ILB. could be a starter at 1 point but with him, hewitt, and burgess playing so well, williamson will be gone to save money

Edoga - looked really good at RT. played better then shell. probably not a LT in the NFL but that's fine. we can draft one in 2020 and start edoga at RT as we start to rebuild this shit o-line

Vyncint Smith - grabbed him off the practice squad of another team mid season (i think Hou) and he's made some big plays and tough catches. should stick around as a depth WR for us.

dawinner127, Pepsiguy5, LAJet and 5 others like this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Nice write up - can’t really agree or disagree with Gase. I think 2020 will ultimately decide his fate.

I’m not sold on Edoga either. He may be better suited for guard. Again I think 2020 decides his fate also....

3. GasedAndConfused

as long as edoga can play well anywhere on the line it's a win to me. he was a 3rd rounder and we need starters at all 5 positions over the next 2 years.

as far as gase goes. 6-2 to finish the year and 7 wins is about what we expected and that was without thinking sam would miss 3 games with mono or 60 million dollars on IR. overall you have to be pretty impressed with the 2nd half of the year jets despite all the injuries

J-Raw24 likes this.
  4. mrjet80

That is true even if he slots in as a starting guard it is a win and I am rooting for it. It’s one less position to worry about.

With Gase I would say the fact the team did not quit on him bodes well in his favor. While the schedule was weak the team plays who they have to play it’s not like he can pick the schedule. We will see what happens next season with a harder schedule but hopefully a better roster.

His leash will not be very long ....

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Edoga stepping up would be great. Especially if he could take over a guard spot. Would be extremely nice to have one spot on the o line taken care of...

6. GasedAndConfused

the 1st half was pretty brutal though. the 2nd half was easy. it balanced out. we also lost to 2 bad teams but we beat some good ones. we had 6 games against teams that made the playoffs. and 2 more against teams that were in the playoff hunt the final week. half of our games were against legit playoff contenders or teams that made the playoffs. that's a lot. then we had 5 games against easy teams (miami x2, cincy, wash, NYG) 2 of which we lost (miami, cincy) and 3 against ok teams.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

DUDS

The new uniforms.

Peebag likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

blasphemy! I love the new uni's especially the stealth black

9. J-Raw24

Can we clone Jenkins? Put him on both sides and I bet both of their sack numbers go up. Then we just neex a cb1 and keep Williamson and this d is good... offense I hope Edoga work into a guard spot. Then get Scherf. Maybe take a shot at a LT or RT in fa as long as its not way overpaying. Then draft at least 3 OL , 1 wr, 1 edge, 1 cb, and a kicker. Unless we get more picks from trading back, then add 1rb.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Quincy Enuwa is as good as gone.

He's done.

azhar80 and SOJAZ like this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Your taste in fashion is questionable.

You probably sported a mullet, tribal tattoos and zebra pants.

[​IMG]

kevda5n9ne and FJF like this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Season End Trivia Question:

What player had the longest run from scrimmage?

13. mrjet80

I like the new shade of green. The helmet emblem can be improved. But I really like the uniform particularly the green jerseys and the white on white. The black not so much - just not Jets like.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. mrjet80

Darnold

Acad23 likes this.
  15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Darnold

16. J-Raw24

most likely a other teams defensive player on an forced fumble scoop and run.

azhar80 likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

if i had to guess i'd say vyncent smith. he's had a few big ones on end arounds.

18. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Edoga-was a turnstile and incompetent at RT. Just because Shell was awful doesn’t make Edoga better. His saving grace is maybe he’ll be better suited at RG since he got beat like a drum at RT.

Edwards-Very down year for him. Not sure how you put him in a stud category.

tomdeb, TonyFtLaud and J-Raw24 like this.
  19. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

I know Finkins missed Kicks, but he hit some clutch kicks too. For a guy to come into a crazy situation, such as the Jets were in. I think he did well.
    He held the K spot for the remainder of the year, after what was a roller coaster ride of Ks. He has a decent leg and with our ST coach I'd like to see him in camp again.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Correct.

I have a cheap Chinese bootleg Hackenberg jersey for you.

Or I can send it to Ralebird.

Your choice.