Jets picking 11th in 2020 NFL DRAFT

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Sid Youngelman, Dec 29, 2019.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. Your evaluation of Robbie may be right but I believe poor an play is the reason he doesn’t produce according to his capability.
    We need to trade for or draft the Ghost Busters or else it won’t matter who the receivers are, they won’t be able to get the ball.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

We need o line. A wr1. Edge rush. Good play calling. A cb1... yeah an o line.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thomas will be gone so i'm thinking either will whos a great pass blocker or wirfs whos more complete then wills but not as good at pass blocking. i'd be happy with either one personally.

4. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Haha, just insert the year number and we can post this same thing. Every. Single. Year.

kevda5n9ne and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We need Oline badly...doubt the Georgia tackle drops.

But the WR from Alabama might

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

And every single year, we get a can't miss interior DL instead. At least it seems like it.

kevda5n9ne and J-Raw24 like this.
  7. J-Raw24

So Derrick Brown falls to us? Gonna be a good dline next year. Guess we can look forward to that.

FJF likes this.
  8. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

One of my teachers growing up said nothing is guaranteed except for paying taxes and dying... she forgot to also mention Jets drafting a DT early in the draft

Leicester Jet, NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If Maccagnan was still making the picks, this would be a legitimate possibility.

themorey and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Those three aren't enough. It's not enough to just say you've drafted a QB. You have to help him develop by giving him very good targets who consistently get open and who have reliable hands. It should be:

1. Get your quarterback
    2. Protect your quarterback
    3. Surround your quarterback with offensive talent to help him succeed
    4. Knock down the other guy's quarterback

A QB has to have reliable WRs to throw to. If Thomas and Robby aren't re-signed, how is Sam supposed to succeed throwing to just Crowder, Vyncint Smith and a rookie/or FA? Where's the depth? Even with Thomas and Robby, there were times when no one could get open or when passes that hit them in the hands were dropped. An edge rusher isn't going to help Sam at all. It won't make one bit of difference if we draft an edge rusher who gets 30 sacks next year if Sam struggles because his receivers can't get open even with more time and protection from a better OL. IMO at this point, everything has to be about developing Sam into a FQB. If he doesn't then we'll likely be starting over in a year or two looking for a QB. Even if we were to draft Chase Young and he were to lead the lead in sacks for the next 5-10 years, but Sam doesn't develop, it would would mean that we still wouldn't be a serious contender, and would be starting over looking for a QB. Then it would be a lot harder because having that elite edge rusher would enable us to win more games and make it that much harder to get that FQB without having to trade a bunch of high draft picks.

IMO first and foremost, we have to help Sam take the next step next season. We can then look to add an edge rusher in 2021 as the last piece to get us over the hump and into hopefully elite status.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. In order for a QB to succeed, he not only needs a good OL, but he has to be surrounded with talent unless he's a generational player like Brady who can succeed with mediocre talent around him. If Robby and Thomas aren't re-signed, that would leave Sam with a WR corps of Jamison Crowder, Vyncint Smith, some scrub off our PS, and either a mediocre FA or rookie WR. Sam is supposed to succeed with that? What about depth?

Yes, we need help at CB, but there should be some good CBs available in FA and that's where we should address the CB position.

Bell may or may not be back. Montgomery is a FA and almost certainly won't be back since Gase couldn't find a way to utilize him. Bilal Powell is 30 or older and while he can still play, he's also a FA and who knows if the Jets will bring him back? I don't trust the Adams kid (ex-Eagle). The Jets definitely need to draft a RB, and hopefully he will be a powerback that can get yardage on his own by running over and through would-be tacklers.

The Jets definitely need to add a top WR talent. While I would love to add Thomas or maybe Wirffs in the 1st round, I would also love to add a CeeDee Lamb or a Tee Higgins. I think their first 5 picks should include 3 OL,a WR, and a RB. They can wait until next year to address CB and Edge in the draft. This year should be about enabling Sam to succeed and building an NFL-caliber offense and not the rinky-dink, afterthought, excuse for an offense that we've had for most of the last 10 years.

Leatherwood shouldn't even be in the conversation in the 1st round.

#71 NCJetsfan, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Epenesa is not a fit unless we switch to a 4-3. He's a 4-3 DE.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

There won't be any quality WRs in FA. It's not a good list now, and by the time FA rolls around, most, if not all, of what few good WRs are on that list will probably be re-signed. Adding a topflight WR will definitely help Sam develop and give an impact. An edge rusher will do nothing to help Sam develop. Yes, we need an edge rusher. We've needed one for 10 years, but right now developing and protecting Sam has to be the #1 priority. We can wait another year to add an elite edge rush prospect. If Mac had taken Mahomes like he should have and addressed WR and the OL as he should have, we could have added that edge rusher this year, but it's going to have to wait.

14. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

This isn't exactly a draft question but it kind of is. Was just watching the Cowboy-Redskin game and was thinking about Amari Cooper. The Cowboys apparently aren't 100% elated with him and that other guy they have seems to be turning into a star so they may not pay up for him. I realize he's not 100% pure and perfect but he's still pretty damn good and if he could be signed with the checkbook might not that take care of our #1 WR guy for "free" as far as draft picks go?

15. NCJetsfan

That would definitely be a great start and very exciting!

16. J-Raw24

Cooper most likely gets resigned. When Dak was playing decent earlier this year, Cooper was one of his favorite targets. They changed plays around and his numbers dropped. They are probably trying to low ball him considering Dak and Zeke need contracts as well. But if he does make it I don't think we sink a lot of money into him. He's shown potential at times st other times not so much. The last 6 gamed he's been pretty bad. I wouldn't pay him more than Robbie, he could be a better player, but Robbie has a connection with Sam.

17. NCJetsfan

There won't be any FA WRs worth paying for. There should be FA CBs that are worth signing, and probably a 2nd tier edge rusher. We probably will have to bite the bullet and sign at least one big contract FA OL.

18. NCJetsfan

We'd better get more than that trading back that far, or I'll be screaming for Douglas' head, and I'm sure I won't be alone. If we drop 8 places in the first round, we'd better get something on the order of the other team's 1st, 2nd and 3rd/4th or 1st, 2nd and next year's 2nd. If it's for Tua, the price goes up.

19. NCJetsfan

Why do we rotate? If we're the 11th pick in the 1st round, why wouldn't we draft 11 in every round?

20. NCJetsfan

I like it except we need a RB, and I'm not certain that we could afford to sign four of the players you have listed.