Jets vs Buff Week 17 2019 - Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 30, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

The D as a whole - Only allowing 6 points is impressive. even if it was against backups. with all the injuries most of our D is backups anyway

Greg Williams - Fantastic gameplan. really got the most out of everyone

Basham - was everywhere yesterday. Also got screwed out of a sack FF on a horrible overturned call. applied good pressure and had 2 batted passes, and recovered a fumble

Jordan Jenkins - 1 PD, 1 sack, 2 TFL, 1 FF.

Burgess - 9 tackles, 1 PD, 1 TFL, and 1 INT

Maulet - played well in coverage, had a great diving INT, and was solid in the run game (2 TFL). really earned himself a spot next season IMO

D-line as a whole - total of 4 TFLs from the d-line and constant pressure between them all

Marcus Maye - great coverage and made some great tackles in the run game

Crowder - 8 catches for 66 yards and a TD

Pass blocking/darnold evasion - only let up 2 sacks

Duds

Run blocking - again the o-line was dominated and no holes were there

Every WR not named crowder - didn't really do much at all. robby dropped a big one he should have caught and finished with only 18 yards on 3 catches.

Bell - 77 total yards on 21 touches. he got chances and did rip off a few nice 10+ yard runs, but without blocking it's just not enouhg production from him

Ficken - 2 missed FGs. the 50+ yarder is understandable but the chip shot he missed after that one was pretty bad. espcially in such a close game. it's the reason we lost to them week 1. missed FGs.

2. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I disagree on Maulet. The INT was a gift and he got manhandled by Duke on 3 different occasions. I counted those 3 missed tackles and could of been another one i’m not remembering. The rest is spot on.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

he played well. you have to remember dude is really a CB4 or 5 talent wise that is forced to start due to injuries and bad talent at the position.

4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I don't think he was a stud though. I was really bad. Outside of getting lucky on that int he was probably one of the 6 worst jets on the field... him and our oline.

5. GasedAndConfused

he had no penalties. the bills only scored 6 points on offense and he had 2 tackles for a loss as well

6. J-Raw24

And he gave up several big plays... watch the game.. he looked horrible.

94Abraham likes this.
  7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I cant give any defensive studs when playing against that offense gimme a break dude

8. GasedAndConfused

he was up and down but all things considered he made some big plays. and at the end of the day we only allowed 6 points and 0 TDs so hard to complain he didn't completely shut someone down.

9. J-Raw24

Not saying he was horrible but in no way was he a stud... he played pretty bad over all and got lucky on one play... hardly a stud. He's a cb 5 and you can tell.

MoWilkBeast and 94Abraham like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

it wasn't 1 play and it was more then luck. he still made a great diving catch on it. he was also great in the run game with hard hits and good tackles and had 2 TFLs but yeah you can tell he's better suited as a CB4/5 but he's definitely earned a spot on our roster IMO as depth. as it stands right now I think we bring back maulet, poole, and hairston. then we have bless still. sign 1 FA CB to start and draft one with one of our 3rd rounders. Start bless, the FA, and poole in the slot and the rookie, hairston, and maulet are depth

mrjet80 likes this.
  11. J-Raw24

Personally I bring back Poole and Austin then pick between Hairston and Maulet. Neither are great but they could be worse (Daryl Roberts) then I sign one and draft one and if the other between those 2 are still available the can be a camp body and compete. Neither are guaranteed a spot. Hell we may get another udfa breakout.

12. 94Abraham

He was going against similar backups and wiffed on so many tackles. How anyone can watch how bad he was and give him a stud is beyond me. The Bills 4th or 5th WR had his way with him.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  13. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

That game, weather wise, was just awful so it was hard for me to make conclusions - I saw players making tackles and sliding on that turf at least 3-4 yards after the fact. Considering the circumstances and Gase's play calling I thought Darnold played well.

14. GasedAndConfused

Buffalo threw for less then 250 yards. they only scored 6 points (2 FGs) they had 11 drives. 6 punts, 2 FGs, 3 turnovers. I don't know how anyone can say anyone on the defense played badly really.

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Maulet is OK considering he was and is an UDFA. He provides decent depth and was forced into a starting role. It is true Maulet will eventually get exposed the longer he is on the field. But of course being he is not really starter material this is to be expected.

I expect him to return to a back up role next season but will be in certain defensive packages with several DBs on the field kind of like he was this year.

He is a decent depth player...

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. 94Abraham

The Bills were fielding a team that had the worst offense this team has seen the entire year. Just because he didn’t give up long TDs, doesn’t mean he didn’t play bad. He was a liability out there and he was getting picked on so much and wiffing on tackles that people on this board in the game thread were even calling on him to be replaced ala Bless Austin a few days ago.

17. GasedAndConfused

I'll go back and rewatch it but none of our players got "picked on" since you know we only let up 6 points. it seems the issue here is people complaining we were playing backups. the players don't have control over that