After his first 2 years, you think Sam is our franchise QB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 29, 2019.

?

Is Darnold our franchise QB?

1. Definitely YES

30.7%
  2. Likely Yes

52.0%
  3. Likely No

14.7%
  4. Definitely NO

2.7%
  1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I refuse to use the newspaper/talkshow franchise stuff. He will most likely be a fine QB especially if he gets help on the offensive line and the club gets top receiver.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No doubt in my mind he is the answer. Gase or no Gase, I think he is good enough to overcome that. IMO, this last half of the season is the floor for what he can be.

Pepsiguy5 and FJF like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Darnold improved under some shitty circumstances, but he's got some work to do over the off-season. I think he's likely to be the guy but needs help. Don't strip away his weapons trying to get cute. Bring Robby back, don't cut / trade Bell.

Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  4. jxc

jxc Active Member

This year his TD total increased by 3, and his turnover total decreased by 1.

So he's improving...

...which means his numbers this season are almost as good as Ryan Fitzpatrick.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I can't even answer this because I'm extremely torn. I think he has so much potential and could be the real deal. However, I think the HC is hindering his abilities and growth. This season was forgettable, easily, and I'm not sure the HC isn't going to ruin this kid.

J-Raw24 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He's the best FQB prospect I've seen on the Jets since O'Brien. That said, his progress has been retarded by poor coaching and a lack of supporting talent around him. If not corrected now - assuming he doesn't suffer a career-ending injury - he could wind up above average but not really a FQB. That might be enough to win a SB if the talent is REALLY upgraded and they have a great HC, but the odds are against that. He makes mistakes, but that's to be expected from a young QB - young as in seasons played, and also his actual age. Plus a lot of his mistakes come from being rushed and from the lousy play calling. Still, he has to clean up his mechanics, and get better at seeing all the options, not just the primary one.

At this point I wouldn't be looking to replace him, but I wouldn't say he's guaranteed to be a FQB yet.

JetsNation06 and MJK like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I hope I'm wrong, but I voted likely no. On a league average team, I think Sam would be a franchise quarterback. But here, I think he's on the same path Tannehill was in Miami: not terrible like Sanchez or Geno but below-average and not in a position to get a long-term deal.

8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think he is without question. The only unknown is just how good he'll get. Super Bowl good? I think its at least possible.

Also if I'm not mistaken I think he's at this moment still younger than Baker Mayfield was when he was drafted. Maybe that means a lot or maybe not but its definitely something to be optimistic about. He's going into year three still very very young and now with a pretty significant amount of 'sperience under his belt. Assuming health and further assuming at least some improvement on the offensive line I would hope for a 4000 yard season next year.

Brook! likes this.
  9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He is like a Luck clone if anything..... He too looked like shit behind a bad oline. A bad oline is why his career ended so abruptly

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

While I haven't been completely against moving Bell, I do agree with this.

We better not do Sam like we did Sanchez from 2011 to 2012 by literally changing all of the weapons he has to lesser versions because we're trying to wield a big stick in negotiations. We have to bring Robby back and need to bring Bell back unless there some sort of outrageous trade offer out there for him.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  11. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He still makes far too many mistakes for me to see him as a franchise QB. Can he become one? Absolutely, although he's going to be hindered in that quest by being tied to our offensive "guru" of a coach.

12. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

I think he’s the best quarterback we drafted since Chad Pennington...if Sam was the quarterback during Rex Ryan run 09,10 I believe the jets would’ve gone to a superbowl....The point I’m making is yes I believe he is the one but he’s gonna need help that means building an O-line and getting a number one receiver

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's the exact scenario I am afraid of. I hope Bell and Gase have a long talk prior to the official offseason. Hopefully Gase isn't a moron and adjusts the offense.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jury still out for me as IMO I did not see any tremendous progress from last year or improvement. He has shown glimpses but he also IMO has some very bad habits

BacktoQueens and 94Abraham like this.
  15. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Luck carried awful teams to the playoffs and a conference championship game....you are way under rating Luck he was a top 5 QB right out of college.

#35 MJK, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Like his potential
    Like his demeanor
    Definitely hope he is the one

but his mistakes are brutal and too frequent

thankfully we have Gase the offensive guru and quarterback whisperer to develop Sam

CBG likes this.
  17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

An excellent analogy, I think. I guess I think it's more than 50/50 (though not much more than 50/50) that he can be the franchise quarterback, but that definitely is not the same as being a top 8 quarterback (top quarter of the league). Stafford is a franchise QB, Eli was a franchise QB, Matt Ryan is a franchise QB, Rivers has been a franchise QB, even Cousins is a franchise QB (Washington just didn't believe it). Are they good enough to win a Super Bowl? Yes, but only if the defense is really good, and everything breaks exactly the right way.

Can Darnold be a top 8 quarterback? He hasn't shown any sign to me that he can. Doesn't mean he won't, but it sure doesn't mean he will.

Brook!, HomeoftheJets and MJK like this.
  18. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

I think he's a mix of Pennington and Carson Palmer. Give him an o-line and see what happens. If you take away the "ghosts" game, he had 19 TD and 8 INT on the year. Not a bad spread.

dawinner127 likes this.
  19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Absolutely...He’s still very young/ improving and needs a damn offensive line!

Get a team that can establish the run and protect him and he’ll flourish

jetstopgun likes this.
  20. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

This is where I'm at although I'm closer to 70 percent he will be a 7-15 type QB...a top 5 elite QB that can carry a franchise is a long shot.