Poll: Keep or Fire Gase?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Dec 29, 2019.

?

Keep or Fire Gase?

1. Keep Gase

38.5%
  2. Fire Gase

61.5%
  1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

To me it really boils down to this: The anti-Gase crowd somehow expects and wants a juggernaut offense with an absolute trash o-line. They want Gase to “scheme” us chicken salad out of a chicken shit foundation

As JV said above, this oline couldn’t run OR pass block with any consistency. We don’t have one good olineman on the damn roster, not one

It wouldn’t take a genius to see that this was our main problem this year, and it wasn’t even close. Sure, Gase’s playcalling wasn’t anything special but how can you truly evaluate it when game after game Sam’s running for his life and Bell is getting blasted? What the hell can you do consistently to move the ball and score points with this?

It was frustrating for all of us but if you don’t have a mediocre or better oline you’re in major trouble in the NFL

SOJAZ, Aero, FJF and 2 others like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And you continue to ignore the fact that we're three games better than last year despite a shit roster and injuries up the ass. We lost 5/9 games to playoff teams.

I forgot you're the big picture guy that wants to fire the coach after one season.

Right. A few down field passes. Because 1) you know for sure there weren't routes with receivers running down field, 2) Darnold struggled the throw the ball in the intermediate range so what makes you think he'd be more accurate down the field and 3) terrible pass protection as usual.

The gameplans have been fine. At some point players need to execute. The run-pass mix isn't a huge issue. He's not the world's best play caller but there hasn't been these agregious mistakes as alluded to. No one complains when the 3rd and 8 draw goes for a first down or the first down pass play is a 17 yard completion. It's automatically a bad play call if it doesn't work.

Part of playing arm chair offensive coordinator.

FJF likes this.
  3. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

How is this even a debate?
    The guy has coached four years in the division and NONE of his offenses could score. They've all sucked. Different personnel ... same coach ... same system ... they have ALL SUCKED.
    Scoring points is kind of important, and he's proven over the course of 65 games coached, that more than 50% of the time that he can't do it.

I and many others on here have accepted the results for what they are. Others ... and most unfortunately, the owners, would rather make excuses for sucking, and continue to suck for as long as he's here.

Did you all enjoy watching the offense this year?
    You better get used to it because this is what an Adam Gase offense looks like ... and always has.
    A lot of us understood that coming in, and hated the hire immediately. No reason to like it now.

4. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

If Gase stays next year, Williams stays next year (I hope). With a good off-season, we're half way there. Williams is my favorite coach on the team since Rex.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The jets offensive line had the worst win rate amongst pass rushers in the league. It’s a miracle Darnold made it out without major injuries.

SOJAZ, King Koopa and Cman68 like this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'd fire him and go get Rivera or Garrett if he's fired.

And I'd cut Bell.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Good Post.

Tannehill says hello to all those constantly making excuses for, Gase.

There is so much proof, evidence, that suggests that this HC is way in over his head. It amazes me how easily people get sucked into the suck.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The key point is that with a win percentage of .469 in Miami Gase should never have been hired here, particularly with his documented problems getting along with players and management. The big question in my mind is did anyone from Jets ownership or management even make a call to their counterparts in Miami for the inside scoop before hiring him?

After going 7 - 9 this year his career win percentage is now down to .462 with some reports of player problems. Since winning is the only important metric, how low must that go before he's canned? Will his difficulty getting along with those he must work with on a daily basis become a problem here? How egregious must that be before ownership has had enough? Does his alleged, but certainly unproven, reputation as a quarterback whisperer and offensive guru continue to carry any degree of credibility at all today and will it matter?

SOJAZ and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Chris Johnson has extended Boss Gase into 2020 so, he's not getting fired. I would be curious if there's no mandate in 2020 from our CEO about improvement or even a playoff run. If no such mandate is issued, and probably won't be, then we theoretically could be seeing Boss Gase in 2021 as well no matter what the record is. I think that won't take much. In fact, a duplicate 7-9 record would probably do the trick as the expectation bar so low its a tunnel now. There is one thing the Jets do excel at, its selling potential and nothing says potential like 7-9.

11. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Besides all the cherry picked stats on both sides. Our young team, and especially our young QB need stability. The last thing you want is 3 different offenses in 3 different years. That's how you stunt Sam D's growth.
    Im not a Gase fan, but some of the critics, and criticism is retarded. Jets lose on a missed FG is Gase fault, WR drops passes is Gase fault, players get injured its Gase fault... You have issues with game plan that's valid, issues with play calling fine.

Also as the HC Gase shares the credit and faults of all the phases of the game. So if you think the defense and ST are good then Gase gets credit for allowing them to flourish. The offense at times looks like a well oiled machine and at times its frustrating. But you are what your record says, and his 1st year record as a NYJ coach is enough for a 2nd year.

12. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

So where did these game winning drive come from? We already know 40% of his points come on opening drives. So are you saying another 40% come on his last drive? That would mean essentially for 90% of the game he does nothing. So Gase basically call good drives 2 times per game and ignores the rest of the games? No. He is good on opening drive when he has a week to prepare then the rest of the game is garbage. When we go into a 2 minute drill Sam is doing what he is trained in the offseason to move the ball as fast as he can, but as we all saw yesterday Gase screws that up sometimes too. But the rest of the game Gase sucks, he can't make adjustment and has probably a lower football IQ than Vernon Gholston

13. HotSauce

HotSauce Member

For what it’s worth, I voted to keep Gase. The offensive line woes are clearly never his fault; the fact that he never places any value on that, or pre-game activities, or in-game adjustments falls squarely on someone else’s shoulders. Gase should be the HC of the Jets for the foreseeable future. Williams needs to be fired ASAP.

Sincerely,

A Miami Dolphins fan.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The other side of that argument is the players can execute the game plan when they have all week to practice it but once they have to go off script they struggle with the stuff they haven’t repped all week.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? He was credited with 1 fourth quarter comeback and 1 game winning drive as a rookie. He had two and three this year.

I don't really know what this ramble is about with percentages. What are the percentages?

And then Darnold, the 22 year old quarterback, gets all of the credit when he does successfully lead a 2 minute offense scoring drive and Gase gets attacked because of it?

More flawed logic from the "I hated the hire so I'll hate him forever" crowd.

16. J-Raw24

They are following Gase's play call either way. After the first drive or 2 he begins calling plays. If those plays don't work thats on him. Maybe he shpild stick to things they habe practiced. Either way he made the calls.

17. J-Raw24

The percentage is that 40% of our offensive points are scored on opening drive. After that Gase can't call any good plays. We actually make 0 adjustments to win games.

The 2 minute drill is something that is practices over and over ahead of time. Basically all this shows is if Gase has time he can prepare successful drives but he can't make any good adjustments. Which in turn makes him a bad headcoach.

If belicheat or tomlin or harbaugh or any other good coach failed to adjustment in game they would be just as bad. Fact is good coaches have to make adjustmwnt and manage games. It part of the job.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If he sticks to the same 15 scripted calls he is “too predictable “

19. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I said keep. Only because firing a coach after one year is a joke. From what I saw this year, I don't think he is or will be a good coach. If our record doesn't improve next year, I hope they have the will to fire him. If it does improve, that probably means playoffs.

20. J-Raw24

If he doesn't we don't score points. Maybe his adjustments are to predictable. I'm not sure. But after the first drive we lose every game. If we took first drives off on most of these games. I mean that's 40% of our offense. Pretty messed up 40% in less than 3/4 of games.