Poll: Keep or Fire Gase?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Dec 29, 2019.

?

Keep or Fire Gase?

1. Keep Gase

38.5%
  2. Fire Gase

61.5%
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Gase's job appears safe for 2020. But if you had the power to decide his fate right now, what would you do? There have been a lot of voices on both sides of the argument; here's your chance to go on the record.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Keep Gase to see how he does with a competent Oline and a normal amount of injuries/No Mono for the QB

Sorry to the Gase haters but to start over again after finishing 6-2 with a first year head coach with everything that happened is unreasonable

I think we’re on the right track with some roster upgrades...if that bothers some people oh well

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've seen enough to know he isn't the answer so why waste any more time, and risk retarding Sam's (and the rest of the team's) growth? We're wasting time I don't have much of to give.

rickjet, SOJAZ, truthbtold and 3 others like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So we won three more games than we did last year.

Sam improved from 4-9 to 7-6 from last year. His completion percentage, touchdowns, yards per game, interceptions, and quarterback rating all improved behind a worse offensive line and had more game winning drives and fourth quarterback comebacks.

But somehow his growth, among all players growth is worse. Hmmm.

#4 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Skicats, FJF, azhar80 and 2 others like this.
  5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

This is proof how stats can be used to tell lies

he maybe “improved “ over his rookie numbers but he did NOT improve to the point where Gase or anyone should be proud or happy

give it a rest

our eyes don’t lie

rickjet, SOJAZ, Ralebird and 2 others like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Right. So the eye test shows improvement, and then statistics are used to back up those claims.

He didn't become Drew Brees over night. But considering his atrocious supporting cast he played pretty well this season.

We haven't watched a season since 2005 where a quarterback has instantly retreated on the snap of the ball like Darnold had to all year long.

dawinner127, MoWilkBeast, FJF and 2 others like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have little confidence in Gase to change/improve, but I have zero confidence in the Johnson brothers to allow Douglas to make the new hire or that they will hire the right new HC. Since Douglas and Gase are friends, we don't want to piss him off. We should allow Douglas to improve the talent level of the team so that when Gase fails next year, Gase won't have any excuses, and Douglas will realize that Gase needs to go and won't be pissed if the Johnsons decide to fire Gase. Maybe if Douglas has a great offseason or two, the Johnsons will decide to allow him to make all the football decisions. It's the only chance we have.

rickjet, SOJAZ, vokab206 and 3 others like this.
  8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan, but we need consistency.

9. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

You’re in luck

we have been consistently bad for close to a decade and no super bowl appearances for 50 years

you must be proud of our consistent franchise

Cman68 likes this.
  10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I’m a bit more optimistic with Gase but this is reasonable to me

We need Douglas to do a great job and let Gase sink or swim with a better roster (mainly oline situation)

Then either Gase gets this team where they should be or he’s gone and we have a good situation for a top tier head coach to come in

11. ColoradoContrails

First, the 3 more wins came against the weakest schedule in the league and weaker than anything they'll likely ever see again, so enjoy that.

His stats went up, but not as much as they should've for a potential FQB. Gase has to own some of the blame for the absolute trash the OL was, and the full blame for the ineffective game plans and play calling that put more pressure on Sam than needed to be. It took Darnold having to get in Gase's face to finally get Gase to change his approach - how does a competent coach not notice that his plans aren't working and needs to be told by a 2nd year QB?

Even in this very last game we got to watch Gase fuck up a good drive by getting too cute with his Wildcat play, and then running out of time when he has a minute and half and three time outs to work with. It's a credit to the players that they continued to play for this guy, but it wasn't because of him it was in spite of him.

Noam, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Adam Gase is a terrible coach. The Jets are a terrible franchise. Seems like a good fit.

rickjet and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Why does he need to own the trash offensive line? He probably flipped out all fucking off-season when his bonehead GM decided to ignore the position. We do not have one player along the line that should be an NFL starter.

So we shell up into a conservative play style that protects both the quarterback and offensive line from giving up pressures these past two weeks and it was YOU complaining in the game thread about play calling and not attempting more down field throws.

Straight hypocrisy. Everyone wanted more runs and a more conservative game plan when we were winging the ball around. Then they get it and it's complaints about the game plan still.

And referring to the fluff piece about Darnold and Gase? C'mon now. It's a positive piece about their relationship. Gase getting on Darnold to be an assertive leader rather than just saying he likes everything. So Darnold finally did it. I can't believe that shitty written piece is still being talked about as some sort negative against the coach.

It's more proof that the anti-Gase crowd has very little ammunition after he had this team playing well over the second half of the season. To continue bringing up a week six puff piece.

14. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

There isn't another young coach in the league I wouldn't trade Gase for.
    How in the world can you manage to score 17 offensive points only 5 times with THESE rules?
    If not for the miracle Greg Williams pulled off with this defense, we'd likely be drafting in the Top 5.
    Gase is horrendous.

15. ColoradoContrails

Gase was the genius that chose to not play his starting OL the entire preseason. How does that help? He most certainly had input on player acquisitions, especially after Macc was fired. ANd if Macc completely froze him out of any player acquisitions, he should've publicly called Macc out for it. Maybe that would've gotten the idiot fired before he did more damage with the draft.

And talk about dishonesty! I didn't call for more runs and then change my tune to more passing. Moreover, the problem wasn't just "too much of this; too little of that", it was the whole composite of how he runs a game. Sometimes he runs too much, and usually very predictably, other times he calls for passes, but they're usually "dink and dunk", or again on very predictable downs. He has shown no ability to make in-game adjustments. I really don't know how you can watch these games and decide that he's a good HC. His record proves he isn't.

And as to bringing up a "six week old puff piece" it was part of this season, the same way the stats from Game 1 count. It's a part of what unfolded this season, but you want to put an expiration date on it because it makes Gase look like the amateur he is.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, Ralebird and 3 others like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Bro. It's really impossible to have any sort of conversation or debate with you if you're going to say "I never said that exact sentence!!!!" to deflect the argument away from what's being discussed.

How in the world do you protect the quarterback more from a bad offensive line? You run a more conservative game plan with more runs and short passes. Which we did.

It's really stupid to have any sort of discussion if you're going to cry about not saying the same thing word for word.

No one's decided he's a good head coach. He's done enough to get one more year given the absolute garbage talent and depth this roster had this year + injuries.

FJF and Mogriffjr like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

You're the one putting words in my mouth by responding to one of my posts with that.

And again, it's not just WHAT he calls, it's WHEN he calls them. And there is certainly reason to question the types of calls as opposed to other conservative calls he might've dialed up. Where was the use of the multiple talents of Bell, Powell, and Montgomery on the field at the same time? There was no way to do that? HUH. Strange a "forward thinker" like Gase couldn't figure that out. How long did it take to get him to have Sam move more to avoid/slow the rush? And how often did we see passes on obvious passing down and runs on obvious running downs when the entire world knew what he was going to call? I do have to admit though he really fooled us all with that Wildcat call today!

And I'm not calling you out for making claims about what I said "word for word", but the generalizations that you use to try and dismiss what you don't like to hear.

18. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Your right eyes dont lie....what i saw was one of the Worst O-line in football... Magic Mike Did Gase no favors...i think being fair give the man one more year.... lets see what Douglas can do with a full Off-season to fix the O- line.... and give gase Something to work with

NY Jets68, FJF and King Koopa like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

How long did it take him to get the quarterback to move? What are you talking about. Quarterback movement during blitzes and constant pressure is strictly instinctual. There's no coaching involved in that. He ran 5-6 bootlegs every game for the past ten weeks. And they also have gotten blown up. What else do you want? What's the magic game plan for the leagues worst offensive line?

Usually poor pass protecting offensive lines can run block. This one can't do either.

You mean career backup Bilal Powell and the amazing talent that's Ty Montgomery whose topped out at 457 rushing yards in a season?

No one's putting words in your mouth. I quoted your post and explained it. You wanted a game plan and play calling to protect an offensive line. You do so with more runs, and shorter passes. You got that. And then in the game thread you wanted more down field passing in a torrential downpour.

So you're really just being hypocritical of yourself as usual.

FJF likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

You continue to want to make this about the trees - individual plays - rather than the forest - whether they win or lose and how they perform in either case.

And once again, it's not about "more pass plays" or "more running plays", it's the overall mix and when he's calling them and the types of those plays he's calling. For example, he calls a play where three receivers are within 5 yards of each other! YAY he called a pass play! But BOO it was a shit play! So you see it's not just about more or less passing or running, it's how he plans and manages a game.

And there you go again implying something that I never said:

"And then in the game thread you wanted more down field passing in a torrential downpour."

This implies that I was calling for lots of passing, which I did not. I said that they could at last throw a FEW long passes just to keep the defense honest. See the difference? Of course you do, but you want to make me look "hypocritical" instead. Talk about dishonesty!

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.